Anyone bring their bicycle on their Sailboat ??? question ..

Old April 6th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas, Spring Point Light

Default Anyone bring their bicycle on their Sailboat ??? question ..

Have a 32' sailboat. Would like to bring my circa 1984 Trek touring bike on
the boat this summer.

But .. how to get the bicycle to the boat, since the boat is on a mooring .
And.. when on the boat where to keep the bicycle so it doesn't turn into
rust or be in the way.

Thinking . Blue Tarp.. Have a old one, and if I cut it up ???

Old April 7th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_7_]

.
And.. when on the boat where to keep the bicycle so it doesn't turn into
rust or be in the way.

Thinking . Blue Tarp.. Have a old one, and if I cut it up ???

Get a Bike Friday. Fold it up and stow it away out of the way.

Old April 7th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Apr 6, 5:17 pm, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:
Have a 32' sailboat. Would like to bring my circa 1984 Trek touring bike on
the boat this summer.

But .. how to get the bicycle to the boat, since the boat is on a mooring .
And.. when on the boat where to keep the bicycle so it doesn't turn into
rust or be in the way.

Thinking . Blue Tarp.. Have a old one, and if I cut it up ???

Even if covered the salt air will have it's way with your bike. A
folding bike is the traditional bike to bring on a boat, and Dahon
makes a nice one that is far more resistant to the elements.
http://www.bikefold.com/dahon_mariner_bike.htm
and this also looks interesting, though I have no experience with it.
It's not a serious ride, but it looks very low maintenance:
http://www.bikefold.com/ixi_bike_folding.htm

Old April 13th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Matt O'Toole

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:27:36 -0500, Pat wrote:

"Thomas, Spring Point Light" wrote in message

Have a 32' sailboat. Would like to bring my circa 1984 Trek touring
bike on
the boat this summer.

But .. how to get the bicycle to the boat, since the boat is on a
mooring .
And.. when on the boat where to keep the bicycle so it doesn't turn
into rust or be in the way.

Thinking . Blue Tarp.. Have a old one, and if I cut it up ???

Get a Bike Friday. Fold it up and stow it away out of the way.

Actually a lot of boaters use Montagues or Dahons, which is why they're
sold at marine stores. Dahons fold really small, but even a Montague (or
2) would probably fit easily in your lazarette, quarter berth, etc. There
are weatherproof bags available for Montagues which would make dinghy
transport a lot easier, and help keep the salt off.

Transport depends on your dinghy more than anything else. Even a small
inflatable will accommodate a bike pretty easily -- it will sit across the
pontoons quite securely -- but a hard dinghy is a pain. A bag for your
bike to fit in with the wheels off would probably make it easier. It
won't be as small a package as the Montague, but it will be a lot smaller
than usual and not have the front wheel flopping around.

I've done this a bunch. I did a lot of riding on Catalina Island before
they allowed bikes on the ferries, and you had to bring your bike on a
private boat. Catalina's well worth the trip, BTW -- but only mountain
bikes are allowed and you have to be ready to climb.

While I've spent the last 8 summers on a sailboat in WA/BC, I haven't been
able to bring my bike. Riding Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast
looks very appealing! I see a lot of bikes on boats, both for running
errands and more ambitious riding, so you'd be in good company. I'm
envious!

Matt O.
Old April 13th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Apr 13, 12:33 am, HFS wrote:
On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:17:59 GMT, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"

wrote:
Have a 32' sailboat. Would like to bring my circa 1984 Trek touring bike on
the boat this summer.

But .. how to get the bicycle to the boat, since the boat is on a mooring .

Lash it across the bow of the dinghy - worked for me!

And.. when on the boat where to keep the bicycle so it doesn't turn into
rust or be in the way.

Thinking . Blue Tarp.. Have a old one, and if I cut it up ???

I rode my ProFlex 753 from Vancouver to Cabo San Lucas.
I had the shop I purchased it from replace all fasteners with
stainless steel ones.

I cleaned, maintained and lubed--without fail--every day. In other
words, the bike was in excellent condition at all times.

For the two day sailboat trip to Puerto Vallarta, the bike was lashed
to the deck with a small tarp covering - it survived admirably well.
Seas were calm and there was no spray.

In PV, I bought a 12 ft x 20 ft heavy blue tarp and managed to put
three wraps around the bike - it was well lubed (a bit heavier than
usual) and well covered/sealed. I lashed it to the forward rail (with
the handle-bar turned 90 degrees and the in-board pedal removed).

Six weeks later all appeared OK except that I had two frozen links.
Yah, the salt did get in there--and do its dirty work... I was quite
surprised!

You could remove the chain and store it in a ziplock plastic bag with
some dessicant packets.