Newspaper advocates killing cyclists in movie

Old March 21st 08, 10:50 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Newspaper advocates killing cyclists in movie

From a newspaper "reporter" in Vacaville, California-
http://www.thereporter.com/dannybernardini/ci_8650162

=============================
- Thou shalt not dress in florescent spandex and bogart the road.
OK, bicyclists, it's time you all "shared the road" as well. Besides the
fact that most of these folks look ridiculous, many routinely ignore speed
limits and stop signs while messing up traffic.

That's not even counting the fact they don't pay any extra taxes to maintain
the bike lanes, as car owners do.

I hear they are remaking Sly Stalone's '70s picture "Death Race 2000."
Here's hoping they film on the back roads of Solano and Yolo counties.
==============================

I don't even know where to begin with this stuff. You'd think, after what's
happened recently on our roads, that someone would display a bit more
sensitivity than this.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 22nd 08, 01:20 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

On Mar 21, 3:50 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
I don't even know where to begin with this stuff. You'd think, after what's
happened recently on our roads, that someone would display a bit more
sensitivity than this.

Here is where I would start with this. Geez, do they think bicyclists
want to read, subscribe to, or advertise in a newspaper that advocates
violence toward bicyclists?

Here's some relevant information from http://www.thereporter.com/staff:

The author of the offensive article is Danny Bernardini. He covers
county government for a newspaper called The Reporter in Vacaville,
California. His email address is .

The article, titled "Speaking of deadly sins ...", appeared on the
Opinion page. The Opinion page editor is Karen Nolan. Her email
address is
.

The editor of The Reporter is Diane Barney. Her email address is
.

The Circulation Manager of The Reporter is Jerry Schoenberg. E-mail
him at
.

The Advertising Director is Debi Tavey. E-mail her at
.

The Publisher of The Reporter is Gregg McConnell. His e-mail is

Old March 22nd 08, 02:13 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
dave a

wrote:
[...]

They are owned by MediaNewsGroup.

http://www.mediaowners.com/company/medianewsgroup.html

/dave a

William Dean Singleton, CEO of MediaNewsGroup is also Chairman of the
Board of Directors for Associated Press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dean_Singleton

/dave a
Old March 22nd 08, 02:19 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
dave a

dave a wrote:
dave a wrote:
They are owned by MediaNewsGroup.

http://www.mediaowners.com/company/medianewsgroup.html

/dave a

William Dean Singleton, CEO of MediaNewsGroup is also Chairman of the
Board of Directors for Associated Press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Dean_Singleton

/dave a

But I wouldn't bother writing him...

http://cjrarchives.org/issues/2003/2/dean-sherman.asp

/dave a

Old March 22nd 08, 06:19 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
**snip**
I don't even know where to begin with this stuff. You'd think, after what's
happened recently on our roads, that someone would display a bit more
sensitivity than this.

Hoo boy, no kidding, but you began just right, post it and watch the
feathers fly.
Thanks to Gordon for doing the research on the email addresses, I've
sent two...so far.
Maybe filling their inboxes will promote a little more sensitivity and
a lot less tin-eared irresponsibility.

ABS
Cyclist, Hit & Run Victim 2/8/08

Old March 22nd 08, 11:07 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:19:34 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Maybe filling their inboxes will promote a little more sensitivity and
a lot less tin-eared irresponsibility.

My guess is that they'll simply delete them, as unfortunate as it
sounds.

Old March 22nd 08, 05:36 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

It's an "alternative" newspaper. The people who read it are likely people
who would already advocate killing bicyclists, anyway. I wouldn't get upset
about it. Just keep your side of the road clean -- teach your friends and
neighbors how to ride legally and safely -- and someday, when gas is $10 a
gallon, the average shmo will see things a little differently.

Old March 22nd 08, 08:26 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Oh, yes. I, too, have bombarded them with e-mails, just for the hell of it.

Let's remember, though, that the more we hunger for shock journalism, the
more these young wannabe journalists are going to deliver it to us.

Old March 23rd 08, 01:31 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

Jeez, what an asshole.

And, I'm not just saying that as a typical cyclist. I'm saying that as
a cyclist-hit-by-a-truck-and-put-in-a-coma-for-two-weeks-because-he-
was-hit-by-a-pickup-truck-in-Milwaukee.

I know he was kidding when he wrote: "I hear they are remaking Sly
Stalone's '70s picture "Death Race 2000." Here's hoping they film on
the back roads of Solano and Yolo counties." But it's still written in
very bad taste...

By the way, Death Race 200 [ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/] is
a movie were pedestrians are hit purposely by automobiles for points.

Thanks for the post. I'm definitely going to send the guy a response.

Regards,
Cullen Carter

On Mar 21, 5:50*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote: