Changing Tyres

Old August 3rd 03, 07:44 PM
Adrian Boliston

Default Changing Tyres

"Turkey Tickler" wrote in message

Any tips for this, recommendations for tyre levers -ie ones that dont ping
off into your eye just when you think you are about to get that last 5 cms
on tire onto the rim

ONTO the rim??

I'm not sure how a lever would help get a tyre ONTO a rim! I always
thought they were for getting the OFF.

Old August 3rd 03, 07:52 PM
Doesnotcompute

Adrian Boliston wrote:
"Turkey Tickler" wrote in message

Any tips for this, recommendations for tyre levers -ie ones that dont ping
off into your eye just when you think you are about to get that last 5 cms
on tire onto the rim

ONTO the rim??

I'm not sure how a lever would help get a tyre ONTO a rim! I always
thought they were for getting the OFF.

Surely the diameter of the inside of the tyre has to be smaller than the
diamater of the rim lips? Therefore sometimes a tyre lever is useful for
just levering over that last little bith that is reluctant to pop over
the lip.

--
Dnc

Old August 3rd 03, 08:06 PM
Frank X

"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message
Adrian Boliston wrote:
"Turkey Tickler" wrote in message

Any tips for this, recommendations for tyre levers -ie ones that dont

ping
off into your eye just when you think you are about to get that last 5

cms
on tire onto the rim

ONTO the rim??

I'm not sure how a lever would help get a tyre ONTO a rim! I always
thought they were for getting the OFF.

Surely the diameter of the inside of the tyre has to be smaller than the
diamater of the rim lips? Therefore sometimes a tyre lever is useful for
just levering over that last little bith that is reluctant to pop over
the lip.

It's normally easier to put them on than get them off.

If you make sure the opposite side of the tyre that is already on the wheel
is sitting in the central recessed/well area it is much easier.

--
Dnc

Old August 3rd 03, 09:17 PM
Paul Busby

Turkey Tickler - typed:
Managed to get a serious bargain from eBay - 2x michelin axial pro
lites for £18.... (those funky giro d italia ones).

As im out injurerd at the moment, thought I would spend my sunday
morning putting my new tyres on.

It took nearly 3 hours!!! was putting them on my shimano 105 wheels,
and I managed to put a hole through 2 inner tubes, scratch the pretty
graphics on the rims, and scrape the skin off two nuckles in the
process - as you can porbably guess this was my first attempt at
fitting folding tyres - at least I got there in the end.

Any tips for this, recommendations for tyre levers -ie ones that dont
ping off into your eye just when you think you are about to get that
last 5 cms on tire onto the rim......:-).

Its very embarassing that I can break a chain, fit a full gruppo,
even true a wheel but I cant fit tyres!!!

tia

Chris

I still use my old MTB Pedro Milk Levers (24mm wide). I found my old
Conti Grand Prix folders very easy but some tyres & rim combos are pigs.
I completely deflate to get the last bit on. Washing up liquid will
lubricate the last bit of bead or try spittle in the field. For really
stubborn combos or when freezing fingers are too numb, carry a tyre
jack.

Using tyre levers can be a bit of an art - I've snapped several plastic
ones & the old Halfords steel ones can damage rims. Check out MTB
levers.

Regards

Old August 3rd 03, 11:28 PM
Pete Biggs

Adrian Boliston wrote:
I'm not sure how a lever would help get a tyre ONTO a rim! I always
thought they were for getting the OFF.

That's the idea, yes, but some tyres are so tight that there's no choice.

~PB

Fitting narrower tyres Jeremy Collins General 16 August 5th 04 12:21 PM
road tyres geepeetee General 3 July 28th 04 10:41 AM
Which tyres??? Daz N Mountain Biking 4 February 4th 04 03:41 AM