Brakes in the rain

Old November 23rd 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brown Cat

Default Brakes in the rain

Whilst cycling it started chucking it down with rain and I was wet
through after 5-10 minutes. I noticed when I braked it didn't seem to
have any effect at all, which forced me to get off and push my bike.
I was able to have some brake power if I held the brakes down for about
5 seconds which I guessed was getting the water off the brake pads.

Is this normal ?
Old November 23rd 09, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Brown Cat" wrote in message
news
Whilst cycling it started chucking it down with rain and I was wet
through after 5-10 minutes. I noticed when I braked it didn't seem to
have any effect at all, which forced me to get off and push my bike.
I was able to have some brake power if I held the brakes down for about
5 seconds which I guessed was getting the water off the brake pads.

Is this normal ?

Yes - ish. Yours sounds a bit extreme. Rim brakes don't like rain much, but
it's "not as good" rather than "not at all".

It's water on the rims, not pads.

Some setups cope better than others - Steel rims are a no-no, and
salmon/pink koolstop pads are supposed to be pretty good.

They will work better if you have them set up better - squeezing hard does
work.

Brake early in the wet, and learn the limitations of your bike.

Old November 23rd 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Señor Chris[_2_]

Brown Cat wrote:
Whilst cycling it started chucking it down with rain and I was wet
through after 5-10 minutes. I noticed when I braked it didn't seem to
have any effect at all, which forced me to get off and push my bike.
I was able to have some brake power if I held the brakes down for about
5 seconds which I guessed was getting the water off the brake pads.

Is this normal ?

Most definitely - the solution is to brake 5 seconds earlier
than normal.

Old November 23rd 09, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Brown Cat wrote:
Whilst cycling it started chucking it down with rain and I was wet
through after 5-10 minutes. I noticed when I braked it didn't seem to
have any effect at all, which forced me to get off and push my bike.
I was able to have some brake power if I held the brakes down for about
5 seconds which I guessed was getting the water off the brake pads.

Is this normal ?

No. If you had rubber pads on proper chromed steel rims, your
brakes wouldn't work at all!

BugBear
Old November 23rd 09, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 23 Nov, 13:45, Brown Cat wrote:
Whilst cycling it started chucking it down with rain and I was wet
through after 5-10 minutes. I noticed when I braked it didn't seem to
have any effect at all, which forced me to get off and push my bike.
I was able to have some brake power if I held the brakes down for about
5 seconds which I guessed was getting the water off the brake pads.

Is this normal ?

Could be, depending on your particular setup. If you wish to improve
your braking there are a few things to consider. The first is, are
your rims contaminated with oil. WD40 should never be applied to a
bike rim in use. This will also contaminate the brake pads and both
rims and brake pads should be degreased using washing-up detergent and
then methylated spirit. Use a peice of abrasive to skim the brake
blocks (if theres nothing left to skim, replace them). Make sure
there is some slotting in the brake blocks, if there isn't you can
make two cuts across them spaced 1/4" apart at the leading edge
(facing the back of the bike if mounted at the top of the wheel OR up
if at the crank bracket.

Also is the system adjusted correctly, you should barely be able to
pull the brake lever to the handlebar with all your might. If this
is not the case or this is obviously a big gap between pads and rim,
adjust it to correct.
Old November 23rd 09, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Schneider

WD40 should never be applied to a bike

That's better in my opinion. WD40 is so thin it removes existing
lubricant before disappearing itself.

Jon
Old November 23rd 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 23 Nov, 17:21, Jonathan Schneider
wrote:
WD40 should never be applied to a bike

That's better in my opinion. WD40 is so thin it removes existing
lubricant before disappearing itself.

No it doesn't.
Old November 23rd 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

wrote:
WD40 should never be applied to a bike

That's better in my opinion. WD40 is so thin it removes existing
lubricant before disappearing itself.

No it doesn't.

Sounds like it could be used as a lubricant.
Old November 23rd 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Brown Cat wrote:
Whilst cycling it started chucking it down with rain and I was wet
through after 5-10 minutes. I noticed when I braked it didn't seem to
have any effect at all, which forced me to get off and push my bike.
I was able to have some brake power if I held the brakes down for about
5 seconds which I guessed was getting the water off the brake pads.

Is this normal ?

Ish. If you happen, for some reason, to have old style chromed steel rims, then
consider yourself lucky to have such high performance brakes.

If you more normal aluminum alloy rims then it sounds a bit of a long time. My
old Tektro 'V' brake setup, with noname blocks on Rigida rims would lock the
back wheel and bring me to an abrupt stop after about 1-2 revolutions of the
front, but definitely down on dry conditions.

So, what brakes/rims? Are the brakes ok in the dry?
Old November 23rd 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

wrote:
WD40 should never be applied to a bike
That's better in my opinion. WD40 is so thin it removes existing
lubricant before disappearing itself.

No it doesn't.

Sounds like it could be used as a lubricant.

Fantastic for giving a smooth reponse, of no brakes.