Hi-vis policy failure.

Old December 12th 09, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Hi-vis policy failure.

Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as such the
vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK traffic laws.
Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned and they have relied
in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on the site bikes. However, we
now have learned that there have been many near misses between peds and
cyclists as the site lighting has been reduced and hi-vis does not work
without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the problem.
Needless to say, older readers of urc will know that I am going to stay
*well* away from making any suggestions, but maybe someone else could have a
go.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old December 12th 09, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as
such the vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK
traffic laws. Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned
and they have relied in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on
the site bikes. However, we now have learned that there have been
many near misses between peds and cyclists as the site lighting has
been reduced and hi-vis does not work without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the
problem. Needless to say, older readers of urc will know that I am
going to stay well away from making any suggestions, but maybe
someone else could have a go.

Separation between peds and cyclists?

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old December 12th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther

It is a matter of "Been there! Done that!"

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...
Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as such
the vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK traffic
laws. Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned and they have
relied in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on the site bikes.
However, we now have learned that there have been many near misses between
peds and cyclists as the site lighting has been reduced and hi-vis does
not work without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the problem.
Needless to say, older readers of urc will know that I am going to stay
*well* away from making any suggestions, but maybe someone else could have
a go.
--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Your endless ( nearly) previous efforts made interesting reading though! I
always wondered how they rationalised the fact the car are filled with
eclectrics -- and generate hi voltage sparks too! ( but they didn't did
they!)

I suspect that you are wise to remain "shtum"

From
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Old December 12th 09, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Simon Mason" writes:

Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as
such the vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK
traffic laws. Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned
and they have relied in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on the
site bikes. However, we now have learned that there have been many
near misses between peds and cyclists as the site lighting has been
reduced and hi-vis does not work without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the
problem.

Slow down?

Or perhaps you could design a bike light that runs off a mobile phone
battery. They can't complain about that, surely? I think you get 3.7v
from a Li-ion cell, should be just about enough for a Cree LED

-dan
Old December 12th 09, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:

Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as such
the vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK traffic
laws. Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned and they
have relied in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on the site
bikes. However, we now have learned that there have been many near
misses between peds and cyclists as the site lighting has been reduced
and hi-vis does not work without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the problem.
Needless to say, older readers of urc will know that I am going to stay
*well* away from making any suggestions, but maybe someone else could
have a go.

Ban bikes altogether (during the hours of darkness at a minimum)?

That would work.
Old December 12th 09, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 12 Dec, 13:08, wrote:
"Simon Mason" writes:
Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as
such the vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK
traffic laws. Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned
and they have relied in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on the
site bikes. However, we now have learned that there have been many
near misses between peds and cyclists as the site lighting has been
reduced and hi-vis does not work without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the
problem.

Slow down?

Or perhaps you could design a bike light that runs off a mobile phone
battery. *They can't complain about that, surely? *I think you get 3.7v
from a Li-ion cell, should be just about enough for a Cree LED

-dan

Yes, attach a cigarette lighter to a mobile phone and it would be
allowed in! Come to think of it, due to the smoking ban indoors,
people smoke in open air kiosks all over the place causing waste bin
fires. Still, at least bike lights are banned.
--
Simon Mason
Old December 12th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 12 Dec, 12:36, "Trevor A Panther"
wrote:

Your endless ( nearly) previous efforts made interesting reading though! I
always wondered how they rationalised the fact the car are filled with
eclectrics *-- and generate hi voltage sparks too! ( but they didn't did
they!)

Indeed. I told them this 7 years ago and the source of ignition at the
Texas City explosion was an idling diesel engine. :-/

--
Simon Mason
Old December 12th 09, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Weaver

On 12 Dec, 12:24, "Simon Mason" wrote:
Our work's site is a closed chemicals manufacturing facility and as such the
vehicles on its roads do not have to adhere to HC or the UK traffic laws.
Due to "issues" with batteries, cycle lamps are banned and they have relied
in the past on hi-vis and reflective paint on the site bikes. However, we
now have learned that there have been many near misses between peds and
cyclists as the site lighting has been reduced and hi-vis does not work
without a light source.

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the problem.

Dynamo, no battery involved
How are cars lit?
Old December 12th 09, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:24:17 -0000, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

So they are asking if anyone has any bright ideas so solve the problem.

Use intrinsically safe lamps. Many available such as :-

http://www.intrinsically-safe-instru...e-torches.html

http://www.samplerewards.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=29 41&CFID=362546&CFTOKEN=74651099&jsessionid=c23034d 922956d6d463cTR

https://www.magnalight.com/pc-1649-57-explosion-proof-led-flashlight--4-watt--push-button-switch--made-in-the-usa.aspx

https://www.magnalight.com/pc-1744-57-explosion-proof-headlight--class-1-division-1-headlight.aspx

U.r.c.m Moderation policy Simon Brooke[_2_] UK 120 July 10th 09 01:31 AM
CTC Helmet Policy judith UK 112 August 1st 08 05:33 PM
BMA hasn't changed its helmet policy Mark McNeill UK 14 July 1st 07 07:32 AM
Appropriate Use Policy [email protected] Recumbent Biking 81 February 16th 05 01:40 AM
MET Helmet Replacement Policy dannyfrankszzz UK 1 December 13th 04 11:03 PM