5 guni's on yesterday's ride

Old April 21st 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Default 5 guni's on yesterday's ride

Yesterday, we did a great 50 km ride out in the Bay area, to celebrate
Geoff's birthday. We had five schumpfs on the ride! 3 geared KH 29'ers,
1 Nimbus 36 with the old Schlumpf hub, and 1 Nimbus 36 with the KH
schlumpf hub (my uni). Man...the guni's are fast! I hit a record speed
for myself (more by accident than anything else); 24.9 MPH.

Tom W took some pictures and posted them online:
http://flickr.com/photos/tomwphotos/...7604648367869/

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old April 21st 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

corbin wrote:
Man...the guni's are fast! I hit a record speed for myself (more by
accident than anything else); 24.9 MPH.

Tom W took some pictures and posted them online:
http://flickr.com/photos/tomwphotos/...7604648367869/

corbin

That is scary fast on one wheel, shortly after I got mine I went down
going just shy of 20mph and it was not very forgiving.

--
Daytripper63

The Dictionary is the only place where "Success" comes before "Working"
Old April 21st 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Daytripper63 wrote:
That is scary fast on one wheel, shortly after I got mine I went down
going just shy of 20mph and it was not very forgiving.

Your right; I think I'm going to invest in some knee pads, just in
case.

I've found I can actually cruise at 20-21mph if there is a slight
downhill.

corbin

Old April 21st 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

corbin wrote:

Tom W took some pictures and posted them online:
http://flickr.com/photos/tomwphotos/...7604648367869/

Question: Why is this guy holding a small bicycle in his hands?
http://tinyurl.com/3mkatc

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old April 21st 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

corbin wrote:
Your right; I think I'm going to invest in some knee pads, just in case.

I've found I can actually cruise at 20-21mph if there is a slight
downhill.

corbin

I also think I am going to invest in some pads for RTL purposes. I
find that with my geared 29 on the slight downhills I am going crazy
fast and I get really scared of what would happen if I were to fall.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
Old April 21st 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

siafirede wrote:
I also think I am going to invest in some pads for RTL purposes. I find
that with my geared 29 on the slight downhills I am going crazy fast
and I get really scared of what would happen if I were to fall.

I haven't fallen off at my top speeds, but I have had to roll out of
falls on occasion. Based on my experiences with "lower" high speed
falls, I think my hips and elbows would be at least as important to pad
as my knees, if not more. I usually only land on my knees on weird low
speed MUni or trials type falls.

--
phlegm
Old April 21st 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

My photos from the same ride:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/83189681@N00/o7D235

'[image:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2431865654_96c4abcab9.jpg]'
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/tholub/2431865654/)

'[image:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2370/2431034577_29911bfa40.jpg]'
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/tholub/2431034577/)

Thanks to Geoff for organizing it; it was a lot of fun! I think we had
14 unicyclists for at least parts of the ride, along with Geoff and a
handful of rollerbladers, and a couple of bikes.

--
tholub
Old April 21st 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

semach.the.monkey wrote:
Question: Why is this guy holding a small bicycle in his hands?
http://tinyurl.com/3mkatc

STM

Hah! that's quite a funny picture. And that guy is me.

corbin

Old April 21st 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

I had a bit of a crash yesterday. It was at the end, I was tired, and
trying to catch up with team Yellow Line Fever.

I wasn't going that fast, Maybe 15mph when I came off the front. I
can't recall exactly how I landed, but I didn't run out of it, and I
wound up doing a bit of a sommersault. I lost a little bit of skin on
my left elbow, and a little bruise on the same hip.

My knees were completely unscathed.

--
mscalisi

Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha

Old April 21st 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

mscalisi wrote:
I wasn't going that fast, Maybe 15mph when I came off the front.

I was going about 15 mph when I broke my collar bone. Of course it helps
a lot to not have your foot tied to the pedal when you fall off. Keep
those shoelaces controlled!

Speaking of which, I just, finally ordered a pair of "proper" road
riding shoes for unicycles, the 'Sam Hill from Five Ten'
(http://tinyurl.com/45ra8a). Until now I've been still using the
damaged shoes I was wearing the day of the crash...

Since then, and with the bone still in the healing process, I've had
absolutely no interest in pushing the limits on speed. Problem is, even
riding at "cruising" speed it's now in the 15 mph range, and will
hopefully be faster. But I guess I'll just keep concentrating on
long-term consistency.

I'm not worried about my knees either, though they got 'scraped up
pretty good'
(http://unicycling.smugmug.com/galler..._kTSst#P-10-15) in the
collar bone crash.

Sorry I couldn't make the Geoff Birthday Ride, that could have brought
the Schlumpf total to 6!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"

Letter in yesterday's paper. Simon Mason[_2_] UK 5 December 14th 07 03:48 PM
Yesterday's Independent burtthebike UK 6 August 27th 07 09:51 PM
Yesterday's Indpendent Leader Tony Raven UK 84 October 21st 06 07:05 AM
Yesterday's idiot Oaf UK 20 April 13th 06 08:24 PM
RR:Yesterday's Ride. Fredzep Mountain Biking 6 October 28th 03 09:20 PM