Who's Had a 29" Tube Blowout When in a Coker Wheel?

Old July 20th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Default Who's Had a 29" Tube Blowout When in a Coker Wheel?

Hey Eric, I rode a 29er tube for quite a long time, when I get home I
will probably be installing one again as well. I found them very very
reliable and installed two by myself without much issue, then when I
went to Uninam, I tried installing one there and I got a flat so I
stuck to the 36er tube.

The 36er tube will definitely be more reliable, but the 29er tube is
great once you have it installed properly, but you will never know if
its in properly until it pops, so it's always a gamble.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old July 20th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

I ride 29er tubes exclusively in my 36. Not only is the weight
difference quite noticable, but 29er tubes are $3.99 at performance
bike.

I've probably trashed four 29er tubes in my life, but now I get them in
cleanly every time. My first few, I talc'd as was mentioned above, but
if you get it in with a bit of air in it (so it stays round instead of
flattening out around the rim, sneaking under your tire beads), and
massage it with your hands until you think that it's pretty close to
evenly stretched all the way around, it should work just fine.

That said, I have had three blowouts of my Nightrider ti one at 65
PSI, one at 60, and one at 50. I think it's a problem with the tire,
though, and not a consequence of my having used a smaller tube. A 36"
tube pushes out on the tire just as much as a 29" tube does, so I don't
see why one tube would cause the tire to have a better chance of blowing
off the rim. I could imagine a 29er tube popping inside of the tire,
without the bead coming off the rim's clincher, but ... that just
doesn't really happen. I've never heard of it, and it's never happened
to me.

The only issue with running 29er tubes is that if you DO get a
legitimate flat, you can't patch the tube. For that reason, I always
bring a 36er tube with me as a spare, along with 10-12 patches, so if I
get MORE flats, I can patch the 36" tube. It'd be better for me to carry
one more 29er tube, so I can still ride a 29" tube after my first flat,
but honestly, my only flats have been pinch-flats from me putting the
tire on dumbly, or blowouts of my tire (3). I've never flatted from
riding. I think it took Sam Wakeling something on the e order of 5,000
miles to get his first, true, conventional flat tire from something on
the road.

My advice (take it or leave it ) is to go a 29er tube. Lighter,
CHEAPER, and your tire is so flat-proof anyway that chances are you'll
never have to replace it if you get it in right. And if you run 29er
tubes, you'll learn how to get it in without popping it

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work, work to eat, eat to live, live to uni.
Old July 20th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

ntappin wrote:
Hey Eric, I rode a 29er tube for quite a long time, when I get home I
will probably be installing one again as well. I found them very very
reliable and installed two by myself without much issue, then when I
went to Uninam, I tried installing one there and I got a flat so I
stuck to the 36er tube.

So that's why there was a flat tube in your wheel bag....

Anyway, for several reasons I'm going to wait until I get back from
France to do this conversion. I'm also toying with the idea of a
tubeless coker depending on the cost. It seems far more reliable, but
it's also costs more than 3.99 . Cost isn't an issue at the moment
since I won an extra 36 tube at RTL (most breakdowns and most injuries
went to team North American Youth)

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick
Email/MSN:
Old July 20th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

Are you guys using the regular cheap 29er tubes or the thicker thorn
resistant muni 29er tubes?

--
Daytripper63

The Dictionary is the only place where "Success" comes before "Working"
Old July 20th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

I've had a 29'er tube in my dave stockton wheel for probably two years
now, and I really notice the difference between it and my 36 tube in my
rtl nightrider. I'm actually going to go pick up a 29'er tube and follow
scott's excellent instructions for installing them.

I did try to fit a schwalbe tube in my nighrider, but it was old and I
wasn't particularly careful, so I had a blowout during a long ride,
which kind of sucked. I'll be nicer to the wheel this time around.

--
flyer
Old July 20th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
S_Wallis

flyer wrote:
I've had a 29'er tube in my dave stockton wheel for probably two years
now, and I really notice the difference between it and my 36 tube in my
rtl nightrider. I'm actually going to go pick up a 29'er tube and follow
scott's excellent instructions for installing them.

I did try to fit a schwalbe tube in my nighrider, but it was old and I
wasn't particularly careful, so I had a blowout during a long ride,
which kind of sucked. I'll be nicer to the wheel this time around.

Yes, I should have mentioned DO NOT USE OLD TUBES! I don't know what a
safe age is, but if you have had some sitting around for a year, throw
them away. When you take a tube out of the box immediately look for ANY
signs of surface cracks in the rubber on the edges of the folds. The
pre-stretch inflation serves the double purpose of testing for bad
rubber.

And yes Daytripper, use the standard-weight tubes. The heavy ones would
be closer to the weight of the 36" tubes, and would have more trouble
stretching to the larger size I think.

Also let me stress the part about filling the tire SLOWLY (if you are
using compressed air). If there is an air pocket trapped between the
tire and tube and you fill rapidly, the tube can potentially
overstretch and burst in that area.

Scott

--
S_Wallis