Bontrager Select Wheels - Cracks in Rim

Old July 14th 06, 04:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Beanzy

Default Bontrager Select Wheels - Cracks in Rim

G'day All,

I purcahsed a new Trek 1400 in october last year.

I got a broken spoke on the weekend and dropped off the wheel at the LBS and
got a phone call later stating that the rim is cracked and that it is
unsafe to ride. The LBS was in contact with Trek to ascertain warranty
issues etc. The Trek rep wasnt in but they will keep me posted.

I looked at the cracks yesterday and my god they were everywhere although i
didn.t notice them when fixing a puincture the day before! My question to
the group is about their experiences whit this wheelset. I did a google
search and it seems that some Bontrager wheelsets have a symptom of cracks
as well as overtensioned spokes. My whee/bike has been reguraly serviced by
LBS in the time i have had it.

Assuming that trek replace the wheel all is good, but how do i prevent it
happening again or is it a suck and see?

If they do not replace the wheel any recommendations on a new wheel set?.
For the record i am a "larger" rider approx 120kg but they weight is coming
off. I can also do a mean sprint!

Cheers

Beanzy

Old July 14th 06, 04:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dtmeister

Beanzy wrote:
G'day All,

Assuming that trek replace the wheel all is good, but how do i prevent it
happening again or is it a suck and see?

Although Bleve will probably have something to say, if you post this to
rec.bicycles.tech, there's a Trek head who runs a largish bike shop in
the US who will probably have a good idea. He's usually very helpful
with all things Trek.

--
..dt
Old July 14th 06, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA

Beanzy Wrote:
[...]

I too am a large lad.

Might I suggest for the larger gentleman: DT Swiss hubs, DT Swiss
spokes, 32 hole Ritchey DS rims, hand built. In a fetching shade of
black, to go with anything sir might be wearing while riding.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old July 14th 06, 09:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dtmeister

Beanzy wrote:
G'day All,

I purcahsed a new Trek 1400 in october last year.

Looks like Mike has already responded to your post on
rec.bicycles.tech.

--
..dt
Old July 14th 06, 09:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj

Beanzy wrote:

Assuming that trek replace the wheel all is good, but how do
i prevent it happening again or is it a suck and see?

Only way to prevent a recurrance is to sell the replacement wheel on
ebay, and put the proceeds towards some real wheels. For a heavy
rider, I'd suggest Ultegra or 105 hubs, 36 x DT 14/15 double butted
spokes laced 3 cross, and a pair of Mavic Open-pro rims, or other rims
with both eyelets and sockets. Built properly, these will last for
ages, and they won't be much heavier than the Bontragers.

Cheers,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Old July 14th 06, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

suzyj wrote:
Beanzy wrote:

Assuming that trek replace the wheel all is good, but how do
i prevent it happening again or is it a suck and see?

Only way to prevent a recurrance is to sell the replacement wheel on
ebay, and put the proceeds towards some real wheels. For a heavy
rider, I'd suggest Ultegra or 105 hubs, 36 x DT 14/15 double butted
spokes laced 3 cross, and a pair of Mavic Open-pro rims, or other rims
with both eyelets and sockets. Built properly, these will last for
ages, and they won't be much heavier than the Bontragers.

Agreed. The low end bonty wheels aren't much chop.

Old July 17th 06, 05:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
philipD

I had the same problem about 6 weeks ago. My bike is a bit older,
September 03. Anyway that is still inside the 3 year warranty so I got
a replacement from Trek - through the LBS. I'm sure I saw this problem
mentioned on an earlier thread, makes you wonder just what percentage
of these wheels are failing!

--
philipD

Old July 17th 06, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

philipD wrote:
I had the same problem about 6 weeks ago. My bike is a bit older,
September 03. Anyway that is still inside the 3 year warranty so I got
a replacement from Trek - through the LBS. I'm sure I saw this problem
mentioned on an earlier thread, makes you wonder just what percentage
of these wheels are failing!

I haven't seen many myself, but I'm not at the shop every day and we
don't sell that many lowend trek roadies, so my sample is statistically
insignificant at best. *but* in casual conversation with the Trek rep,
these wheels are somewhat .. famous .. for lack of a better term.
Famous like Shimano R550's are famous ..

Old July 17th 06, 06:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-07-17, Bleve (aka Bruce)

philipD wrote:
I had the same problem about 6 weeks ago. My bike is a bit older,
September 03. Anyway that is still inside the 3 year warranty so I got
a replacement from Trek - through the LBS. I'm sure I saw this problem
mentioned on an earlier thread, makes you wonder just what percentage
of these wheels are failing!

I haven't seen many myself, but I'm not at the shop every day and we
don't sell that many lowend trek roadies, so my sample is statistically
insignificant at best. *but* in casual conversation with the Trek rep,
these wheels are somewhat .. famous .. for lack of a better term.
Famous like Shimano R550's are famous ..

infamous?

--
TimC
Some witty text here,
Old July 17th 06, 06:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Adrian Cook

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

My Bontrager Select rim cracked in three places around the spokes. Trek
supplied a new Bontrager Race-Lite rim and I just had to pay for the rim to
be laced up to the hub. Fast service but it seems like they know all about
the problem.

Cheers

Adrian