DX Snow Riding

Old January 2nd 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unitoon

Default DX Snow Riding

Hello all. Back from my (too) long break from unicyclist.com. Ah. I
missed you. Anyway, to the subject. I have a 20" Torker DX and it's
currently sitting in the rec room due to the slush/snow/rain/gross
weather we've been having lately. I haven't unicycled for at least a
month. Anyway, I'm doubting that global warming is bad enough to
totally rule out snow for the whole year so I think I'm just going to
have to suck it up and ride in the slush/snow/rain/gross weather. My
question is: Is there anything I should do *before* I start riding to
keep my uni in good shape? It's only a year old and it's still in great
condition. I hope to keep it that way. I know I should do regular
maintenence after riding to keep the rust away and get rid of the salt
and dirt that clogs up the uni. And please don't bother me about not
searching because I did search for several things: -winter, snow,
winter maintenence,- and a few others. The only thread I saw was this
one: 'Snow Unicycling!?' (http://tinyurl.com/yfhtg6) but people only
bother him about not searching. Not very helpful. Anyway, thanks a ton
for helping me out and great to see you all again! Also, any tips on
snow riding that would help out a first-timer would be appreciated!

--
unitoon

"The motto of unicycling is, 'Just suck it up and go for it.' However,
wear 661s while sucking and going." - Ice_cold_uni6
unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

Old January 2nd 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

When snow collects on your pedals, wheel, and bearings. It will melt and
water will get into every crevice. Its like soaking your uni in a bath
tub for 10 mins.

If your doing a lot of wet snow riding, your gonna want to maintenance
everything about 4 times as much as usual. Keep things dry, then
greased. Dont want to ruin your bearings.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/) New Uni =
Blue Sex!

Old January 2nd 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timtimtimmy

whel i dount no about snow but if ur tyding on the road watch out the
salt from the road will f@^K u up really bad

--
timtimtimmy

**I cant spell !!!! so leave me alone
timtimtimmy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13504

Old January 2nd 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedalone

I rode my Muni down some hills in the snow today and it was a blast.

Before your ride in the snow, put your Uni outside to cool it off.
That will reduce the amount of snow that melts and clumps on the
unicyle. Also, it helps to wipe it with Rem Oil _before_ riding in the
snow or slop.

You make a good point and it's worth repeating: rinse and dry your
unicycle after riding in salted areas.

Have fun!

--
pedalone

Unitopia: A perfect place where every dismount is a planned and wanted
dismount.
pedalone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11867

Old January 2nd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Radical Reed

pedalone wrote:
IBefore your ride in the snow, put your Uni outside to cool it off.
That will reduce the amount of snow that melts and clumps on the
unicyle.

I do that too, but not for the same reason. I do it to let the air in
the tire shrink, I've did a ride (without leaving it outside first)
where I started out with a squishyish tire and ended up walking back
because the air shrunk so much. when I got on the uni the tire bottomed
out completley!

--
Radical Reed

'sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'LBS' (http://www.mbps.ca/)
Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

Old January 2nd 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dunawan

im not sure...but its really fun

--
dunawan

turn over the tables and watch them run,
you will be the weapon they cant outgun
[[underoath, writing on the walls]]

psalm 51
dunawan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13582

Old January 2nd 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

That's the great thing about AB. We use sand in the winter, I don't
think salt is used too much.

NO! Snow riding is not bad for your unicycle. At least it's really not
any worse than riding in the rain.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Old January 2nd 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
markf

don't rinse! that just gets more water into the equation. leave the uni
some place cold and wipe everything off. occasionally tear it apart and
relube everything. if you ride everyday in the snow, maybe every 2
weeks.

--
markf

'my Des Moines Iowa Bike Shop' (http://www.irwinsbikes.com)
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old January 14th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gabetheunicycleman

yeah im just wondering if it would be completly idiotic to ride a 07 kh
in the snow. i know alot of people cringe at the idea of a kh getting
hurt(me too). so any tips. i could alternatly ride a nimbus 2.

--
gabetheunicycleman

unicycleman does not stand..... he sits on the air --unicycleman-

5 months of riding and i can do a 360 unispin.woot.
gabetheunicycleman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13054

Old January 14th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_runner722

im not a meteorologist, but i know this. The Weather this year is not
because of Global Warming, but of El Nino in the Pacific ocean, and
should be ending soon. It causes a large warm front for a couple of
months every 4-5 years. Plus, Golbal Warming only increases a half of
Degree every 15-20 years. So back to the unicyclist point of view, In a
week or so the weather should be close to back to normal and you should
be able to ride again

--
uni_runner722

-N.O.
uni_runner722's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14050

riding in snow Al Kubeluis Mountain Biking 11 January 21st 05 10:41 PM
Snow riding JerZ Fox General 7 October 23rd 04 02:20 AM
Riding in the snow, another way MP General 4 December 15th 03 05:10 PM
Riding in snow asqlerth Unicycling 15 October 19th 03 12:47 AM