First ride of 2004?

Old February 29th 04, 08:05 PM
MP

Default First ride of 2004?

No, not really. My first ride this year was on January 1st.

Today, however, was my first ride this year with fingerless gloves.

Now if they'd just get all that sand off the roads, I'd be happy.

MP
Old February 29th 04, 08:58 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
MP writes:

Today, however, was my first ride this year with fingerless gloves.

That's a milestone I'm still waiting for. In fact, I haven't
even gone bare-legged yet.

It's 9c and cloudy out right now. Gotta ride to the laundromat
right after this cup of coffee. I'd throw my stinky full-fingered
gloves in with the wash, but I need them dry for the ride home again,
I might opt to use some fabric softener for my regular clothes,
and I don't want to risk putting my gloves in the dryer. I never
get a chance to use the laundromat dryers anyway. Nor do I have
the patience to hang around waiting for that long.

Winter gloves are a hassle. But not for long, now that Spring is
peeking around the corner.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 29th 04, 10:31 PM
Cipher

Can't really call it much of a ride, (Beats the trainer in the basement though) 45 Degrees F. here in Minnesota, and I was out dodging the slop and puddles on an old beater mountain bike for about 20 miles...

Old February 29th 04, 10:40 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Well, this weekend, we had snow, not sand on the roads. up to 18 inches
in some places. Yeah, I know you Nor-'easternerss are saying this is
nothing. And for Michigan, it probably isn't.

But I live in South Carolina.

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old February 29th 04, 11:36 PM
Rob Lipsey

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:05:46 -0500, MP
wrote:

No, not really. My first ride this year was on January 1st.

Today, however, was my first ride this year with fingerless gloves.

Now if they'd just get all that sand off the roads, I'd be happy.

MP

It was my first ride and I agree completely about the sand. We need a
good rainstorm or two to wash that stuff away. Until then every turn
and intersection will be an adventure. And don't get me started about
the chuckholes...
But I'm not complaining. I got to ride!
Old February 29th 04, 11:53 PM
S. Anderson

"MP" wrote in message
No, not really. My first ride this year was on January 1st.

Today, however, was my first ride this year with fingerless gloves.

Now if they'd just get all that sand off the roads, I'd be happy.

MP

First ride for me. Dodged the mel****er and crap and put in an hour or so.
Pretty early for me..usually stick to the trainer for a while longer, but
such a nice day up here (Toronto) that I couldn't stay indoors. Actually a
very pleasant, if somewhat painful, ride!

Cheers,

Scott..

Old March 1st 04, 06:46 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Tom Keats wrote:

Winter gloves are a hassle. But not for long, now that
Spring is peeking around the corner.

I don't know what kind of weather you're riding in or what your riding style
is but you might consider a different glove material to mimize stinkiness. I
wore polypro liners in fleece gloves this winter that were remarkably
un-stinky at all times, and may not have been washed once. I think the
polypro dries out very quickly, and also my fleece gloves are fold out
mittens, so it was easy to open them if my hands were too sweaty.

Old March 1st 04, 06:49 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

S. Anderson wrote:

First ride for me. Dodged the mel****er and crap and put
in an hour or so. Pretty early for me..usually stick to
the trainer for a while longer, but such a nice day up
here (Toronto) that I couldn't stay indoors. Actually a
very pleasant, if somewhat painful, ride!

The weather in Toronto has been soooooo good for riding. And I've been out
every day all winter so now I'm wizzing past all the other bicycles.

Sadly though my winter bike seems to have ingested a lot of salt, and needs
fixing in just about every possible way.

Old March 1st 04, 07:10 AM
David Reuteler

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
: The weather in Toronto has been soooooo good for riding. And I've been out
: every day all winter so now I'm wizzing past all the other bicycles.

easily one of my favourite things about spring as a year round cyclist in
a bad climate.

: Sadly though my winter bike seems to have ingested a lot of salt, and needs
: fixing in just about every possible way.

& one of the worst.

here's to not wasting the head start. right now they're all so putt-putt on
their cute pristine bikes on their 20 mile rides.

soon enuf ...
--
david reuteler