Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

Old January 3rd 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

On Jan 1, 2:32*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jan 1, 1:43*pm, "Jean" wrote:

I'm looking to replace my old road bike with a carbon fiber model. My
criteria a women's specific design, comfy for all day riding, smooth
riding, light weight, Shimano 105 components, and preferably a triple crank.

Via the web, I've checked out the specs and reviews for following bikes:
Cannondale (Synapse Fem 5), Felt (ZW5), Giant (Avail Advanced 2), Trek
(Madrone 3.1WSD), or Specialized (Ruby Elite Apex). I was hoping y'all might
have some insights into these bikes so that I could minimize driving all
over the state (there are no local dealers for most of these brands) to do
the final fit check-out and test ride.

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? *Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Thanks for any help trying to trim down my list of potential bikes.

Jean

Get fitted by someone who listens and doesn't set you up to race if
you're not gonna race. If you're not gonna race, don't **** away money
on a carbon frame, IMHO. You can get an aluminum Synapse with 105 for
1300 list, and perhaps a 2010 for even less. Carbon is 1100 more,
which can buy stuff that truly affects comfort, like a good saddle,
fancy bar tape or different bars, pedals, and a pair of Sidis. Also
worth seeing if your future bike can take a 28mm tire, which at 90 psi
is going to be the cheapest way to be both comfortable, and avoid
pinch flats.

Checking the catalogs here, I'd look at the Jamis Xenith Endura Series
if a shop around you carries them. Full carbon, but with the ability
to take 28mm tires, skinny fenders in the winter, and even a rack if
you were doing a self supported century and wanted to use a trunk.
Extended head tubes so you can get the bars set so that the drops are
usable w/o being heroic.

Whether or not you actually need a women's model, aka one with a
shorter top tube, really depends on how leggy you are. Also, FWIW, you
can get similar models from this company in steel and alu as well--
which all end up at around an acceptable 20lb, same as this carbon
model. If you plan on crashing, the steel models can be bent back.
Old January 3rd 11, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message
On Jan 1, 11:43 am, "Jean" wrote:
[...]

BTW, Madone -- or as we say, MadOne. The Synapse has a reputation for
being soft. How you get a triangulated structure to be soft, I don't
know -- except laterally through the BB. Anyway, if I were buying a
bike, I would test ride it, even if it meant driving all over the
state. Do you know anyone who owns these bikes, and can you borrow
for a ride? All things equal, I would go for Specialized, Trek or
Cannondale because of the warranty and dealer network. All three are
manufacturing their mid-priced CF (or all their CF) in Taiwan, which
is not a bad thing since they have the process dialed in. -- Jay
Beattie.

I doubt the Synapse's "softness" would be noticeable to me (118 lbs, and old
enough to collect social security) - I'm not exactly a powerhouse ;-) .
Thanks for mentioning the value of the manufacturer having an extensive
dealer network, I had failed to factor that in.

Jean

Old January 3rd 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...

"Jean" wrote in message
[...]

Jean: I can only speak to the Trek Madone, since that's what I sell. The
new Madone 3.1 is a pretty nice machine, and I really like the fact that
it's one of the few that still has real live eyelets on the rear dropouts,
making it easy to attach a rack or fenders. The spacing is wide enough
between the chainstays to easily accomodate a 25c tire (it comes stock
with 23), and has a classic road geometry, nothing so short that you can't
ride it all day comfortably. Trek has been pretty good about keeping
chainstay length reasonable, which helps not just with stability when
descending, but also with shifting as well. I'm not at the shop right now
so I don't have a weigh handy, but it's actually an ounce or two lighter
than the higher-end Madone 4.5.

Keep in mind it's available in a compact-crank version only, no triple. If
you need really low gears, the rear derailleur can be changed to a long
cage version and you can install an 11-32, 11-34 or even an 11-36 in the
back.

Ultimately, what really makes the bike the *right* bike may be finding a
dealer who understands your dreams, how you'd like to ride, and can fit it
properly to you. Fit is *really* important.

Hope this helps-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks for the info. The issue of whether or not the bike can accommodate
wider (25c) tires is important to me, since I think tire size is probably
the major determinant of "comfy riding". If the rear derailleur and
freewheel are changed as you indicated to get lower gearing, is the shifting
likely to be "really annoyingly slow" or would it probably be "just a tad
slow, but acceptable"?

Thanks again

Jean

Old January 3rd 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Jean" wrote in message
[...]

You've got a lot of assumptions in your thinking, e.g., wider tires
being a "major determinant of comfy riding." If I were you, I'd
consider looking at things another way - just go ride bikes and make
sure that what you like best isn't thought of as some sort of "lemon" -
and then enjoy whatever tickles your fancy. There's no reason you need
to have a carbon frame, or a women's-specific design, or wide tires, or
anything - you need the complete package to work for you, and focusing
on specifics can cause you to lose sight of the big picture. IMHO, the
bike you want is the one that, when you think of riding it, makes you
want to get up off the couch and go out for a ride.

And, as others have suggested, if you like the way your current bike
fits and rides and are just looking for something lighter, that's a
great place to start - measure your current bike, decide what, if
anything, you'd like to change, and go from there. One thing to keep in
mind is that, at your size, you can get away with things on a bike that
wouldn't hold up for someone heavier, e.g., I'm a 150 lb. male, and I
ride a custom frame that simply wouldn't work for a lot of heavier
people, ditto my component choices, but so what? I'm the only one who
rides my bike and I love it and it holds up great for me - what more
does one need?

Best of luck to you.

-S-

Old January 3rd 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/1/2011 11:43 AM, Jean wrote:

snip

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Clearly you're going to be doing racing if you're purchasing a CF framed
bicycle, so "cruising" is the wrong word. No one buys CF for "cruising."

A triple crank on a racing bike? As Mike said, the new Madone 3.1
doesn't even offer a triple crank.

I'm sure you're aware that carbon fiber bicycles, while much more
expensive than a steel or aluminum framed bicycle, do not last nearly as
long. The frame, seatpost, and fork are basically wear items like tires
and brake pads.

See http://www.rideyourbike.com/carbonfiber.shtml

Old January 3rd 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 1/3/2011 10:54 AM, SMS wrote:
On 1/1/2011 11:43 AM, Jean wrote:

snip

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of
these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Clearly you're going to be doing racing if you're purchasing a CF framed
bicycle, so "cruising" is the wrong word. No one buys CF for "cruising."

There's probably a spot between racing and cruising where the CF
comes in to play, especially if you don't like aluminum frames.

I don't race any more but I tend to treat my road bike as workout
equipment. I don't like aluminum frames. My CF
frame was on sale for cheaper than an equivalent steel frame. I started
by road testing an aluminum frame with carbon fork and ended up liking
the full CF better. Last year's model was less than this years steel
and rode better than the aluminum. YMMV.

Generally though I agree with you that you shouldn't spend money on
a hi-tech light frame to go cruising.

Best suggestion is to take your pedals, if you have cleats, around to
the LBS and try out some bikes. That's what I did and I ended up with
a bike that fit me and I spend a lot of time on.
Old January 3rd 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 3, 7:54*am, SMS wrote:
On 1/1/2011 11:43 AM, Jean wrote:

snip

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? *Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Clearly you're going to be doing racing if you're purchasing a CF framed
bicycle, so "cruising" is the wrong word. No one buys CF for "cruising."

A triple crank on a racing bike? As Mike said, the new Madone 3.1
doesn't even offer a triple crank.

I'm sure you're aware that carbon fiber bicycles, while much more
expensive than a steel or aluminum framed bicycle, do not last nearly as
long. The frame, seatpost, and fork are basically wear items like tires
and brake pads.

See http://www.rideyourbike.com/carbonfiber.shtml

FYI: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fx/79fx/ Why is a
carbon frame a "wear item?" IIRC, carbon frames have a much better
fatigue life than steel or aluminum -- which is the usual failure mode
for steel and aluminum. Not that I am running out to buy a carbon
frame (not yet, maybe when the Super Six go on sale), but the frames
do not just die. I have worn out steel and aluminum frames -- in
fact, a half dozen.

CF frames are more prone to mechanical damage -- cut tubes from chain
suck, squirrels in spokes, hitting trees, etc., but I try to avoid
those things. And as far as cost goes, high end steel goes for $2K-
$3K frame alone, which I think is ridiculous, no matter how magical
the Bohemian builder might be. It's f****** metal fab!

Aluminum is the cheap and easy way to go, that's true. Jean can go
buy the Nashbar Frame for like $90. In fact, she can get a couple
spares. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 3rd 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 1/3/2011 12:28 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:54 am, wrote:
On 1/1/2011 11:43 AM, Jean wrote:

snip

[...]

Most carbon frames have lifetime warranties these days. What makes me
nervous about the CF bikes are all the warnings about torque.

I just bought a roof rack and had to pay attention to details because of
the CF that I wouldn't have worried about with my steel bike.
Old January 3rd 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jean wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Keep in mind it's available in a compact-crank version only, no triple. If
you need really low gears, the rear derailleur can be changed to a long
cage version and you can install an 11-32, 11-34 or even an 11-36 in the
back.

If the rear derailleur and
freewheel are changed as you indicated to get lower gearing, is the shifting
likely to be "really annoyingly slow" or would it probably be "just a tad
slow, but acceptable"?

If you switch to a fancy MTB derailleur and a fancy MTB cassette, then
it will shift like a fancy MTB-- which is to say at least as well as a
road bike (if perhaps a little noisier in the process).

Chalo