Sora aero levers

Old January 10th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Sora aero levers

jbeattie wrote:
:On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 5:39:37 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
: On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 5:04:35 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 1/9/2016 3:00 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
: On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 8:19:03 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 1/8/2016 4:24 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
:
: Sheldon said that Sora were the best aero levers ever made, but I can't find the post and don't remember why he thought that was the case.
:
: Anybody have any?
:
: One member of my extended family has them. I've ridden his bike. They
: work fine, but his bike is low-mileage, if you get my drift.
:
:
: --
: - Frank Krygowski
:
: Are they aero levers that are shaped like brifters?
:
: They are brifters with the tiny thumb button protruding from the side,
: instead of the extra lever in line with the brake lever. I don't know if
: you'd call them "aero," since the cable comes out horizontally toward
: the center of the bike.
:
: I'm working by memory here. I should be visiting in a few days, and I
: can try to remember to take a look. It's on a lower end Cannondale
: from, oh, maybe 2005 or so.
:
: --
: - Frank Krygowski
:
: Not talking about brifters. Talking about aero levers.

:I haven't looked, but IFAIK, Sora road levers were always brifters. Straight aero levers -- you need something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BL-R40.../dp/B000F5LLWG.

I think they made non-sti sora stuff, for a few years in the early
part of the milenium, when it was still possible to sell a road bike
without sti. Mr Muzi proabably knows for sure. I also have an
inkling that Sora was originally called RSX, and I'm more confident
there were non-sti rsx bikes.

--
sig 123
Old January 10th 16, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/10/2016 8:59 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm with Mr Scheidt mostly.

Aero levers are still current[1], used with bar-cons on
loaded touring bikes for example. Probably misremembered as
'Sora' although at that BL-4-something[2] quality level. The
design hasn't changed much since the BL-A450, BL-A451 era.
Whether as a 'non-group' component or as a previous model
name like RSX you're still talking about a Sora level part
so although it's technically not correct we understand the
meaning.

Note to Frank: the Sora STi have brake controls under the
tape, only gear cables flap in the breeze.

[1] Currently non-group items BL-R400 and BL-R600. The
BL-500 is a flat-bar lever.

[4] 4-series has been Exage and RSX and Sora besides 'non-group'

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 10th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/10/2016 11:38 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Note to Frank: the Sora STi have brake controls under the tape, only
gear cables flap in the breeze.

Right, that's what I remember on the bike I was discussing.

Maybe that makes them "semi-aero"?

But since it wasn't what Doug was after, I'll put it out of my mind.

There. Gone.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 10th 16, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 11:52:00 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2016 11:38 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Note to Frank: the Sora STi have brake controls under the tape, only
gear cables flap in the breeze.

Right, that's what I remember on the bike I was discussing.

Maybe that makes them "semi-aero"?

But since it wasn't what Doug was after, I'll put it out of my mind.

There. Gone.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Those protruding gear cable housings are fantastic places to clip your crib sheets to.

Cheers
Old January 11th 16, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 6:59:30 AM UTC-8, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

rsx was originally called rx100

https://www.google.com/search?q=sora...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old January 11th 16, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

This -might-be the post I was remembering. But I thought he said something about sora aero levers hoods being shaped like those on brifters.

Old January 11th 16, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

http://search.bikelist.org/beta/Tree...id=91009#91009