I'm a hopeless one.

Old August 20th 04, 08:14 PM
zambonijones

Default I'm a hopeless one.

I've recently been very interested in unicycling, but I don't even know
how to ride a bike yet. (I'm 16 years old.)

I never learned because of the geography of our street. I live on a
hill, and at the bottom of the hill is a sharp curve. The curve goes
directly over a bridge, for which there are no railings or walls. The
bridge goes over a drop, which ends in a shallow, rocky river.

This is not a good place to learn how to ride a bike.

Of course, no one knows how to help a person learn how to ride a bike
this late in life. I would go directly into learning unicycling if I
didn't think it would be the cause of my imminent doom. I've never been
a fan of bikes, but I know that they are the necissary middle step
between standing on two feet and balancing on one wheel. =)

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd really love to start unicycling
ASAP.

Thanks in advance,

~Chedd

--
zambonijones
zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580

Old August 20th 04, 08:18 PM
daino149

Although I do think that riding a bike is a helpful step, I would like
to see if you can skip that step and start unicycling. I think it's one
of those things that "you never know until you try".

My advice for you is to get a unicycle (something cheap) and spend a few
hours learning to ride it.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
Kaena
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

Old August 20th 04, 08:18 PM
johnfoss

If John Drummond (of Unicycle.com) had thought the same about his house,
his three boys would also never have learned to ride bikes. They have a
real steep driveway that comes out onto a busy road which I think has no
sidewalk. In any case, you have to go to a different area to ride
around.

Though it would be real fun to learn to unicycle without ever doing a
bike, it will probably be harder. If you want to cheat then, borrow a
bike from someone, go to an empty parking lot and play around with it.
You should be riding it around within a half hour or so. Then pretend
you've been riding it for 10 years, and advance to the unicycle. There
isn't that much to learn in basic bike riding on flat ground.

Good luck!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone