Burley opinions?

Old July 30th 05, 11:31 PM
CKeller

Default Burley opinions?

I'm looking to buy a recumbent and my LBS recommends Burley's. Anyone ride
one of these? Comments? I ride my current DF Trek hybrid bike to and from
work about 10 miles each way. I want to ride further but find the DF too
painful to ride longer distances. I'm probably looking at a SWB since most
of my ride is on city streets (not very busy), but I want to do touring
later on - can a SWB be good for both?

Thank you.

Christy

Old July 31st 05, 05:05 PM
Zach

CKeller wrote:
I'm looking to buy a recumbent and my LBS recommends Burley's. Anyone ride
one of these? Comments? I ride my current DF Trek hybrid bike to and from
work about 10 miles each way. I want to ride further but find the DF too
painful to ride longer distances. I'm probably looking at a SWB since most
of my ride is on city streets (not very busy), but I want to do touring
later on - can a SWB be good for both?

Thank you.

Christy

I've down loaded tours on SWB recumbents and the Burley SWB will take a
rear rack and Terracycle under seat rack. However for a touring SWB I
would recommend a bike specifically designed for touring from a
manufacturer that only makes recumbents such as an HP Velotechnik
Street Machine or Grasshopper.

Zach

Old July 31st 05, 07:20 PM
John Knez

CKeller wrote:
I'm looking to buy a recumbent and my LBS recommends Burley's. Anyone ride
one of these? Comments? I ride my current DF Trek hybrid bike to and from
work about 10 miles each way. I want to ride further but find the DF too
painful to ride longer distances. I'm probably looking at a SWB since most
of my ride is on city streets (not very busy), but I want to do touring
later on - can a SWB be good for both?

Thank you.

Christy

I've owned a Burley Django for several years. I love the bike. I ride
thousands of miles per year on it. I find it to be quite comfortable on
centuries. I've had a rack on it since the day I brought it home. For
light loads on day rides it's great. For serious loads I use a trailer.
I don't care for the rack adapter kit that Burley sales. When using
it the rack is not directly attacked to the bike frame. This results in
the rack swaying slightly under heavy load. I've ridden with 30 pounds
on the rack, but it vibrated in a way that left me feeling uneasy. For a
better idea how a rack attaches to a Django have a look at
http://www.burley.com/products/recum...ation+Kit&i=13.

If you were counting on using just a rear rack to carry most of your
load on a tour, I don't think I would recommend the Django. However, I
think the Django makes a fine touring bike, so long as you have an
alternative to loading the rear rack with weight.

---
John Knez

Old July 31st 05, 07:21 PM
Servojohn

I've ridden a Limbo for four years now, and it's been fine. At this
point I'm looking at upgrading to something lighter and without
suspension for more aggressive riding. I've just upgraded the stock
crankset to a 165mm arm length(vs. 170mm) and the improved cadence is
nice, plus I've installed a narrower range cassette in back which helps
with power transfer. Quality is great, as it is with any Burley
product.
Email me if your interested in purchasing my Limbo(as long as you're
not some scammer with a large cashier's check and an "agent" to handle
the shipping-sorry for the sarcasm, but this type of scam is getting so
prevelant it's
humorous).

Best regards,

John

Old July 31st 05, 08:56 PM
Steve knight

On 31 Jul 2005 11:21:43 -0700, "Servojohn"
wrote:

I've ridden a Limbo for four years now, and it's been fine. At this
point I'm looking at upgrading to something lighter and without
suspension for more aggressive riding. I've just upgraded the stock
crankset to a 165mm arm length(vs. 170mm) and the improved cadence is
nice, plus I've installed a narrower range cassette in back which helps
with power transfer. Quality is great, as it is with any Burley
product.

I have one too a 2004 model. I finally removed the shock as I would
need to spend about 300 to get oen that really worked well. I just
used a piece of oily tropical hardwood. I like the ride better now. I
also pretty much upgraded everthing on it. new wheels sram x9
drivetrain (big improvement) new rans seat cushin got rid of the stock
pullys for the chain and replaced them with one set from terracycle
and that got rid of the rumble. about the only thing I have nto
replaced are the cranks as I have not found a good deal yet.

Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Old August 1st 05, 02:40 AM
Servojohn

I just want to understand more clearly, you just bolted a piece of coco
bolo where the shock and spring are, thus making the bike a rigid
hardtail?

John

Old August 1st 05, 12:05 PM
Slugger

In article , CKeller
wrote:

I'm looking to buy a recumbent and my LBS recommends Burley's. Anyone ride
one of these? Comments? I ride my current DF Trek hybrid bike to and from
work about 10 miles each way. I want to ride further but find the DF too
painful to ride longer distances. I'm probably looking at a SWB since most
of my ride is on city streets (not very busy), but I want to do touring
later on - can a SWB be good for both?

Thank you.

Christy

I gotta say the burley seat makes my ass hurt. I rode it for about 15
min. and realized it right away.
Otherwise I think its a nice bike and you can replace that seat with a
rans or whatever.

Old August 2nd 05, 06:56 AM
Steve knight

gOn 31 Jul 2005 18:40:03 -0700, "Servojohn"
wrote:

I just want to understand more clearly, you just bolted a piece of coco
bolo where the shock and spring are, thus making the bike a rigid
hardtail?

yep works fine. but I just got a good deal on a suspension fork.
if I find a good deal on a good shock they I will replace it. but I
can't afford a 300.00 shock.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Easy Racer Homebuilt Opinions and Comments - very LONG MJ Recumbent Biking 5 January 6th 05 02:42 PM
Crankset opinions jim c Techniques 14 December 16th 04 12:32 AM
Opinions on wireless computers? Preston Crawford General 25 September 9th 04 05:04 PM
Which type of bike? Your opinions please. Chris Hansen General 3 January 16th 04 12:10 PM
Specialized FSR XC Pro opinions, also K2 and Fisher mfgp Mountain Biking 4 October 27th 03 03:34 PM