Forward Elevated Hop

Old July 23rd 05, 02:09 AM
skate4flip

Default Forward Elevated Hop

results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/42072
Question: Is a forward spike a good trial skill for the levels? (read
post for voting in poll)

- Forward should be included (read post before voting)
- Forward spike should not be included (read post before voting)

Hi. Please read this before taking the poll (if the poll works)

I have been working on the new trial skill levels with Carol McLean. One
of skills we are debating on to put in is hopping forward to a elevated
platform (forward spike is the term on the draft). I have seen people
hop to the right or left when hopping on to something, but i haven't
seen hopping forward to get on to something. Is a forward spike a valid
trials skill that should be included in the trials levels?

--
skate4flip - Level 5
skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198

Old July 23rd 05, 02:16 AM
cyberpunk

Do you have to do it from a still, or can you roll at it? Making it a
rolling hop I guess ^^

Because hopping forward without any momentum is fricking hard.

--
cyberpunk - Become one with the Debian

The following is the fault of a random google search and catboy.

"Baby Laughs : The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood"

cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923

Old July 23rd 05, 02:41 AM
skate4flip

It would be doing it from just hopping in place. Rolling hops are used
for a different skill. There are three kinds of spikes. Rolling, left,
right, and were debating in just hopping forward from a still stand is a
good skill to inclucde or not.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:44 AM
James_Potter

so...a 'spike' is an upwards hop? I thought those were
sidehops...that's what we always call 'em 'round here....

And I don't think you should talk about a forward one, because like
whoever said up there, they're frickin' hard.
Except for rolling hops, of course.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old July 23rd 05, 03:07 AM
munipsycho

I like the idea. I jump straight onto curbs and other obstacles a bit
higher from a stand still. It's a valid skill. Why not track it?

--
munipsycho - Sometimes I fall down.

=====================
Yoopers on family: "Happy wife, happy life."
'Munipsycho.com' (http://munipsycho.com//)
I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
-Little Bear
munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

Old July 23rd 05, 03:08 AM
skate4flip

A hop to a higher elevation isnt necessarily called a spike, i guess
that just the name they have been using.

I think a forward hop could be a good skill if you dont have enough room
to turn 90 degrees and hop sideways, but i think it would be hard to hop
forward onto anything high though. Keep voting.

Old July 23rd 05, 03:57 AM
halfbike

Well If you're stoped you might as well just side hop since you've lost
your momentum. It's just like learning to ride chest on seat. It's not
a fun or impresive move, you just have to learn it to pass off the
level.

--
halfbike - Obsessed Rider

Your mom goes to college...
halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428

Old July 23rd 05, 05:16 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

halfbike wrote:
*Well If you're stoped you might as well just side hop since you've
lost your momentum. It's just like learning to ride chest on seat.
It's not a fun or impresive move, you just have to learn it to pass
off the level.

But if you need more skills to make the levels, then yiou might as
well put it in. *

As an off-road rider, I use the skill a LOT.
First, I would suggest calling it simply a "forward hop."
Secondly, it can be fun and impressive (depending on the situation).
It's good for hopping in places where there is limited space for the
wheel to travel, like for intance hopping through a bush to a higher
landing.
I can see how most street (trials) riders would see little use for it -
because often times there is plenty of room for the wheel to be angled
all 360 degrees.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old July 23rd 05, 06:35 AM
vivalargo

Static forward hops are common in Muni. I use them alot on flat
rolling over a trail littered with doll-head to football sized boulders
(or similar terrain). Since the terrain is flat, you stall a lot and
can't roll over some stuff and gotta jump it, often with no room to juke
the Muni sideways. It's a strenuous move with no momentum but often the
only other option is is get off. For street stuff, it doesn't come into
play much, though I don't play on the street much.

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old July 23rd 05, 06:54 AM
skate4flip

vivalargo wrote:
*Static forward hops are common in Muni. I use them alot on flat
rolling over a trail littered with doll-head to football sized
boulders (or similar terrain). Since the terrain is flat, you stall a
lot and can't roll over some stuff and gotta jump it, often with no
room to juke the Muni sideways. It's a strenuous move with no
momentum but often the only other option is is get off. For street
stuff, it doesn't come into play much, though I don't play on the
street much.

JL *

Do you think the skill would be good for trials? Maybe for trial lines
that have rocks and other natural stuff?