A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Now that England are out.....



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 23rd 07, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 324
Default Now that England are out.....

Now that England, and all the other teams from these isles, are out of the
European football championships for next year, what are the chances that BC
will actually promote the World Track Cycling Championships to help fill the
void? You would think that there would be some finance available to promote
sport events from Sport England.

Concidering the championships are in Manchester this year, previous Olympic
and world championship performances, I would call for better coverage on the
BBC. What has athletics done recently to deserve all the pre-publicity and
musical trailers that their minor events get?

David Lloyd


Ads
  #2  
Old November 24th 07, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
raisethe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 534
Default Now that England are out.....

x-no-archive:On 23 Nov, 23:21, "David Lloyd"
wrote:

What has athletics done recently to deserve all the pre-publicity and
musical trailers that their minor events get?



Paula
  #3  
Old November 24th 07, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 324
Default Now that England are out.....


"raisethe" wrote in message
...
x-no-archive:On 23 Nov, 23:21, "David Lloyd"
wrote:

What has athletics done recently to deserve all the pre-publicity and
musical trailers that their minor events get?



Paula


Sorry, I mistook that for your tag line. ;-P

I agree she's amazing, having returned to competition after becoming a mom
earlier in the year, but one person's performance in one marathon does not
justify the hype that athletics gets. If we had pro-rata coverage based on
Nicole Cooke's performances across the year, despite her loosing the World
Cup crown and going out injured before the World Championships, cycling
would hardly be off the TV screens.

David Lloyd


  #4  
Old November 24th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
raisethe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 534
Default Now that England are out.....

x-no-archive:On 24 Nov, 09:22, "David Lloyd"
wrote:


one person's performance in one marathon does not
justify the hype that athletics gets.


If you look a bit closer you might find that she's won more than one
world class race, indeed, shes been the world's best distance runner
over the past few years.


If we had pro-rata coverage based on
Nicole Cooke's performances across the year, despite her loosing the World
Cup crown and going out injured before the World Championships, cycling
would hardly be off the TV screens.


Women's cycling (and men's track cycling) is a minority sport. The
only reason it gets any terestrial tele coverage in the UK at all is
because of their Olympic status.

Running is arguably the purest and most open competitive sport there
is. It will always get preference over cycling, and rightly so, much
as I find it impossibly tedious to watch.

  #5  
Old November 24th 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 324
Default Now that England are out.....


"raisethe" wrote in message
...
x-no-archive:On 24 Nov, 09:22, "David Lloyd"
wrote:


one person's performance in one marathon does not
justify the hype that athletics gets.


If you look a bit closer you might find that she's won more than one
world class race, indeed, shes been the world's best distance runner
over the past few years.

I was thinking more recently than that. What has happened in the last
season?

If we had pro-rata coverage based on
Nicole Cooke's performances across the year, despite her loosing the
World
Cup crown and going out injured before the World Championships, cycling
would hardly be off the TV screens.


Women's cycling (and men's track cycling) is a minority sport. The
only reason it gets any terestrial tele coverage in the UK at all is
because of their Olympic status.


It wouldn't be a minority sport if more people were able to follow it.
Remember the days of the televised city centre circuit races?

Running is arguably the purest and most open competitive sport there
is. It will always get preference over cycling, and rightly so, much
as I find it impossibly tedious to watch.

Another good reason to put on something more exciting.

David Lloyd


  #6  
Old November 26th 07, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Luggage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 167
Default Now that England are out.....

On 24 Nov, 11:08, raisethe wrote:

Women's cycling (and men's track cycling) is a minority sport. The
only reason it gets any terestrial tele coverage in the UK at all is
because of their Olympic status.


What do you think are the relative numbers of leisure cyclists and
leisure joggers / runners? Or competitive cyclists and competitive
runners? I don't know the answers to these, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the cyclists outnumber the runners in both leisure and
competitive arenas. If my hunch is right, that would mean that
cycling is no more a minority sport than running.

Running is arguably the purest and most open competitive sport there
is. It will always get preference over cycling, and rightly so, much
as I find it impossibly tedious to watch.


  #7  
Old November 26th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Now that England are out.....

On Nov 26, 1:28 pm, The Luggage wrote:
On 24 Nov, 11:08, raisethe wrote:



Women's cycling (and men's track cycling) is a minority sport. The
only reason it gets any terestrial tele coverage in the UK at all is
because of their Olympic status.


What do you think are the relative numbers of leisure cyclists and
leisure joggers / runners? Or competitive cyclists and competitive
runners? I don't know the answers to these, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the cyclists outnumber the runners in both leisure and
competitive arenas. If my hunch is right, that would mean that
cycling is no more a minority sport than running.


It depends how you define 'leisure' and 'competitive'. There are
thousands of people paying to enter running races every weekend. Now,
you could argue that many of these are hardly 'competitive', but in
sheer numbers they outweigh the number of cyclists racing.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people who cycle purely for
leisure, commuting, or other 'utility' reasons who never race. Very
few people run purely to commute to work.
  #8  
Old November 28th 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default Now that England are out.....

On 23 Nov, 23:21, "David Lloyd" wrote:
Now that England, and all the other teams from these isles, are out of the
European football championships for next year, what are the chances that BC
will actually promote the World Track Cycling Championships to help fill the
void? You would think that there would be some finance available to promote
sport events from Sport England.

Concidering the championships are in Manchester this year, previous Olympic
and world championship performances, I would call for better coverage on the
BBC. What has athletics done recently to deserve all the pre-publicity and
musical trailers that their minor events get?

David Lloyd



Or the BBC could combine both sports and have the World Performance
Enhancing Drug Taking Championships
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
england gagtape Unicycling 12 June 28th 07 06:07 PM
Come on, England !!! Paul - xxx UK 882 June 28th 06 03:54 PM
Unicyclists from NE England Iwantaunicycle Unicycling 3 September 5th 05 07:26 PM
England Andre Racing 2 September 2nd 05 07:14 PM
Two stories from the NE (of England) Colin Blackburn UK 0 February 18th 05 09:36 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.