New bike path

Old March 9th 18, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New bike path

On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Lou
Old March 10th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:22:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Lou

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for cruise missiles. I think we should conquer NL and take the bike paths.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 10th 18, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere,
I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long)
along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of
trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

That almost looks like an American width path. I don't know the laws and
regulations in NL but California and many of its cities have rules about
that. If you build a road or part of it anew (tear out, re-routing, new
intersection and similar) you have to install bike facilities of at
least class II (bike lanes). If you plop down a major housing
development you must include class I facilities (bike paths or MUP) to
that. Which is great.

Lou

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for
cruise missiles.

That's what you get when other people pay for most of the cruise missiles.

... I think we should conquer NL and take the bike paths.

Vladimir will do that after holding a "referendum", if he finds there's
Russians riding on those bike paths.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 10th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 1:47:21 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:22:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Lou

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for cruise missiles. I think we should conquer NL and take the bike paths.

-- Jay Beattie.

I will trade some bike paths for some mountains. Yesterday for an almost 85 km ride an elevation gain of less than 50 meter. Highest point 40 meters, lowest point 20 meter....sigh...

Lou
Old March 10th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of
nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4
km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to
this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Lou

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for
cruise missiles. I think we should conquer NL and take the bike
paths.

-- Jay Beattie.

I will trade some bike paths for some mountains. Yesterday for an
almost 85 km ride an elevation gain of less than 50 meter. Highest
point 40 meters, lowest point 20 meter....sigh...

Move to Zuid Limburg. I did frequent rides into Belgium from there with
lots of hills. And best of all, good pubs with Abbey Ales. The roads
were quite bad though. Cracks, potholes, missing asphalt pieces.

Old March 10th 18, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I live in Noord Limburg. Moving 70 km to the south means a daily commute by car of 1 hour one way. No thanks.

Lou
Old March 11th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2018-03-10, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:22:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for cruise missiles. I think we should conquer NL and take the bike paths.

Jay, you win the Internet today. Here's your Unca Sam chapeau.

r==i
|**|
L==|
-======-

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old March 11th 18, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-03-10, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:22:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for cruise missiles. I think we should conquer NL and take the bike paths.

Jay, you win the Internet today. Here's your Unca Sam chapeau.

r==i
|**|
L==|
-======-

Aw right! A new hat! I'll wear it leading the charge into Amsterdam! Which way to the coffee shop?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 11th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-03-10, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:22:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On todays route, to Dutch standards through the middle of nowhere, I noticed that a new bike path is constructed (about 3-4 km long) along a quiet road. Even I was surprised that we go to this kind of trouble.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gAFqDSnOECBcxETP2

Wow, I guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay for cruise missiles. I think we should conquer NL and take the bike paths.

Jay, you win the Internet today. Here's your Unca Sam chapeau.

r==i
|**|
L==|
-======-

Aw right! A new hat! I'll wear it leading the charge into Amsterdam! Which way to the coffee shop?

If I recall, 'coffee shop' in Nederlanderese means 'pot
vendor'. You needn't bother since you're in Oregon already.
Dutch buy coffee in an 'espresso bar' I think.

Lou, is that right?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 11th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-03-10, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That is correct Andrew, but you can get good coffee in any cafe or restaurant even in a coffee shop ;-)

Lou