how much does frame matter?

Old September 1st 12, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dan[_3_]

Default how much does frame matter?

Ok, so you have two bicycles, one is a Tarmac SL2 and One is a
Roubaix. The Roubaix has a softer ride...

Each bike has the same aero wheels , groupset, etc. and are within a
pound in weight ( don't know if that is possible).

You take each of these bikes out and race them cat 4 or cat 3, once in
a hilly 100 miles and once for a 15 mile time trial.

Does the frame make a big difference at the finish line?

Does the frame make a big difference in a group club ride?

My vertabra are curious if I'm just as well off with the Roubaix.

Dan

Old September 1st 12, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 01/09/2012 11:55, dan wrote:
Ok, so you have two bicycles, one is a Tarmac SL2 and One is a
Roubaix. The Roubaix has a softer ride...

Each bike has the same aero wheels , groupset, etc. and are within a
pound in weight ( don't know if that is possible).

You take each of these bikes out and race them cat 4 or cat 3, once in
a hilly 100 miles and once for a 15 mile time trial.

In the time trial the relative aerodynamic efficiency of the tuck position you
can get into on each bike will override any weight effect difference by a vast
amount. If the position you could get into was identical on each bike (unlikely)
then if you happen to be Tony Martin there might *just* be a time difference but
it's unlikely to be enough to affect whether you make it onto the podium or not.
In the hilly century the comfy soft bike might just be the one that gets you a
higher placing (road surface will impact on this) even if it is a bit
heavier/softer. Pros can hold a fast uncomfortable positions on stiff bicycles
for a long time but then they are being paid by the pain/hour.

Does the frame make a big difference at the finish line?

Does the frame make a big difference in a group club ride?

My vertabra are curious if I'm just as well off with the Roubaix.

So unless you always ride on immaculately surfaced roads go for comfort, I mean
the Roubaix is not too shabby a bike anyway.

Old September 2nd 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yirgster

Paris-Roubaix was won on a Specialized Roubaix three consecutive years running. So, yes, not too shabby.

In terms of equipment, Cancellara's win also marked Specialized's third Paris-Roubaix victory in a row, this time with their still-secretive 'Project Black' prototype. We've already covered the Project Black – otherwise known as the upcoming S-Works Roubaix SL3 – so we won't overly rehash here. What we will say is that it has proven to be a virtually perfect formula to tackle Paris-Roubaix's brutal parcours. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...ng-bike-25691/