New bike for Jay

Old July 31st 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu,
27 Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take
more than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a
bike, I don't go into the store and ask for an '80s
Euro-sport bike with a rack so I can haul gallons of water on
a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were
riding trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a
camel back or some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that
far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at
the upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store
in Portland :-)

There used to be three Performance stores in Portand, but they
closed the one downtown -- the only one close to my work or
home.

So, reading that prescription, do I have to carry eight bottles
for a four hour ride?

Certainly so in hot weather. If you carry much less and have no
re-fill options you could be causing damage to your body.

... Wow, I better start buying cages and hose clamps. Or I could
just stop every hour and fill up my bottles -- assuming I needed
all that fluid. Hmmmmmm.

I need that much fluid when it's around 100F out there like right
now. Yesterday's ride was only 20mi in hilly terrain and I consumed
about 70oz of water plys 16oz of electrolyte.

Ok, plus two pints at a brewpub :-)

I did a 30 mile loop this afternoon -- nothing terrible because
I'm expecting to get throttled by some friends tomorrow.
Temperature was low-mid 80s -- blue skies, low wind. A gorgeous
day. I went through one 21oz bottle, and there is still some
water sloshing around in the bottle.

Unless you rode really slowly that wasn't healthy even without much
sun.

Well, I felt good enough to go out yesterday for a 55 mile ride with
about 20 miles of steady or rolling hills, during which time I drank
one 24oz bottle of Hammer Heed and a quarter of a 21oz bottle of
water -- plus a Cliff Bar. I went early and temperatures were mild,
and except for the return trip down HWY 30, I was often under tree
cover.
http://www.sahdpdx.com/wp-content/up...highway_30.jpg

That looks like an easy ride. Really wide shoulder and all. I had a
similar one on the way home yesterday.

https://goo.gl/maps/k2LVKpS6GLs

The constant din of cars is annoying but I have an MP3 player mounted to
the steerer tube that is (somewhat) able to drown that out.

You complain about your drivers, I was on this road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fzwm4m3ZFI (although it was sunny
and nice).

Yikes! That's how our crotch rocket guys ride. Many assume there will
never be anything behind a curve. Until there is ...

One of my MTB buddy was a first responder and he told me some gruesome
stories about the aftermath.

... It was pretty empty early morning, so no urban race-car
drivers. First climb of the day is four miles of mostly gravel.
http://www.rubbertotheroad.com/ride-...de_36/36_3.jpg It's like
being in the Hobbit kingdom.

If it were blistering hot (i.e. Thursday is predicted to be 107), I
would have consumed much more water, and I would have stopped to
refill. The center section of the ride doesn't have anywhere to stop
(unless I tapped someone's hosebib), but there are spots elsewhere,
and the last eight miles home are through the city -- basically my
commute route plus a few miles. If I were so inclined, I could go to
a half-dozen brew pubs, including the new Breakside in NW. Their IPA
is first-rate. However, I prefer not to ride home after drinking
beer.

I usually have one on the way back or somewhere near the destination. No
more growlers though since I now brew my own.

I felt way better than I should have coming home, I think because of
the HEED -- and a tail wind. Drinking for recovery is just as
important as drinking on the bike, so I had a beer after getting home
-- and then mowed the lawn. That was hard! I drank 120oz of water!

How does Hammer Heed stack up against Ultima Replenisher? That's what I
use so far, the orange version of it. The lemon version tastes too much
like a diet soda IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 31st 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-07-31 11:37, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:00:33 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped
Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water,
plus one extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour
on the bike".

Snipped
It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and
they know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they
calculated for heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as
your body will give at the current weather conditions. Note they
say "per hour", not "per xx miles".

The same sports medicine guys who used to recomend that runners and
other athletes drink so much water during exercise that some runners
and athletes died of hyponatremia or water intoxication.

Or are those sports medicine guys getting a kickback from the energy
drink people?

Performance Bike getting kickbacks from energy drink people? Sometimes I
wonder just what you are smoking.

Well it's now legal in many states.
Old July 31st 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Your equation doesn't mention OAT which is critical to the
body's water usage. If one were riding in the Mojave desert on
the 4th of July your liquid requirement wouldn't be sufficient
and if in Nome on Christmas day it would be overkill.

It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and
they know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they
calculated for heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as
your body will give at the current weather conditions. Note they
say "per hour", not "per xx miles".

For example, in summer I need almost 1/2h longer for one of my 4h
MTB loops because else I just start panting too much. In winter I
ride faster and that makes me pant and sweat just as much, and
consequently, drink just as much water. I'f I'd ride at the same
slower speed in winter I'd need much less water and sometimes I do
that. For example, when I just want to get out there to sit and
think about a difficult engineering task. Then I also take less in
fluids along.

I'm not really sure that they do. After all, dehydration that they're
talking about isn't from being out in the sun and wind but from
riding at or near maximum effort. I am showing no deleterious effects
from riding pretty long distances at moderate paces without much in
the way of hydration.

Sometimes the effects of dehydration aren't felt immediately but damage
can still be done, also longterm damage.

http://www.bicycling.com/training/hy...or-avoiding-it

Arizonans take that topic really seriously:

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/c...tion-4487.html

Quote "If you're planning to ride over 25 miles, begin drinking fluids
the night before. If you need to get out of bed to urinate once or twice
during the night, your body should be sufficiently hydrated".

I don't quite go that far :-)

Their recommendation of 4 to 8 ounces every 15 minutes is a bit on the
low side. For example, while hiking rocky terrain in the Superstition
Mountains east of Phoenix we needed a whole lot more than that.

Dehydration is a very common cause of serious healtyh problems in
elderly people. When they are asked they respond "But I am not thirsty".
Thirst is not a good indicator because that can come a bit late in the
dehydration process.

My main hydration point on yesterday's ride was this:

http://edhbrewing.com/about-us.html

This long term damage must really be long term because I've been doing it most of my 40 year bicycling career.
Old July 31st 17, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

What,abt the nww bike performance ?
Old July 31st 17, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Who knew: http://www.texascenterwellness.com/w...rolyte-drinks/

I try stuff, and if it gives me cramps or tastes like sh**, I stop buying it. I do prefer GU to Cliff Shots, but I've never tried the Hammer gel and have few other strong preferences when it comes to magical bike potions. The Hammer Heed makes me feel better . . . I think. It could have been the left-over Mexican from the night before. Who knows.

I have a friend (old chick enduro national champion) who swears by this https://www.infinitnutrition.us/ As long as it isn't total snake oil, it's basically just pick something you like.

The Hammer orange flavor is mild and tastes like creamsicles. Fruit punch anything should be avoided.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 31st 17, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 11:37, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

After what a driver in WA state told me, that legalization dropped my
confidence when riding on roads. "It was cool, man! I could ride all the
way across two states with no sleep, and the center line kinda flew over
the hood of the car!"

Old July 31st 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v_zwm4m3ZFI (although it was sunny
[...]

Hammer Heed gets a bit expensive so I'm trying these Nuun tablets. Easier
to deal with and no sugar. I don't need the sugar with the cliff shots I
use.

I usually find the gu too much trouble but I just did this Pierre Lavoie
charity ride here and they were giving out these local made maple syrup
based gu packets. Pretty good stuff. Plus they gave us 2 beers with the
lunch after the ride. Lol. They know marketing...

--
duane
Old July 31st 17, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Try Red Bull. That is the only stuff I've tried that I can actually feel getting into my system and improving my performance. The SMALL CAN.
Old July 31st 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 13:09, jbeattie wrote:

Somehow my news server dropped Jay's response. No idea why.

I felt way better than I should have coming home, I think because of
the HEED -- and a tail wind. Drinking for recovery is just as
important as drinking on the bike, so I had a beer after getting home
-- and then mowed the lawn. That was hard! I drank 120oz of water!

How does Hammer Heed stack up against Ultima Replenisher? That's what I
use so far, the orange version of it. The lemon version tastes too much
like a diet soda IMHO.

Who knew: http://www.texascenterwellness.com/w...rolyte-drinks/

That's a pretty good endorsement.

I try stuff, and if it gives me cramps or tastes like sh**, I stop buying
it. I do prefer GU to Cliff Shots, but I've never tried the Hammer gel
and have few other strong preferences when it comes to magical bike
potions. The Hammer Heed makes me feel better . . . I think. It could
have been the left-over Mexican from the night before. Who knows.

My stomach feel on rides is usually related to the quantity of
blackberries I found and ate. The ones on MTB trails often come in a
month later so that stretches the time of availability. They provide a
lot of fructose as well.

I have a friend (old chick enduro national champion) who swears by this
https://www.infinitnutrition.us/ As long as it isn't total snake oil,
it's basically just pick something you like.

Wow, create your own custom mix. Very fancy.

The Hammer orange flavor is mild and tastes like creamsicles. Fruit punch
anything should be avoided.

Hammer Heed gets a bit expensive so I'm trying these Nuun tablets. Easier
to deal with and no sugar. I don't need the sugar with the cliff shots I
use.

For Ultima I pay about $30 for 90 servings worth of powder. I use one
serving per 17oz water bottle (re-used purified water bottles from the
store).

http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/pro...ving-canister/

I used to get the occasional "almost cramp" during hard MTB rides. Where
I felt it coming up, stopped, massaged, went back into the saddle.
Happens no more and I can now ride through. I still get a very
occasional middle of the night leg cramp, the kind where you almost want
to scream. But that's now down from 20/year to 2-3/year. For my wife who
doesn't ride but had the occasional leg muscle cramp it also helped, her
cramps went almost completely away.

I usually find the gu too much trouble but I just did this Pierre Lavoie
charity ride here and they were giving out these local made maple syrup
based gu packets. Pretty good stuff.

My sister uses goo packets on rides as well and often tries to convince
me. I tried it a few times but didn't like it. I carry home-made "power
bars" that are non-sweet. They have bacon, nuts and all kinds of hearty
stuff in there. A lot of work for my wife to make but worth it. On rides
longer than 4-5h I carry sandwiches made with home-baked bread. The dark
crunchy stuff, similar to European farmer's bread.

... Plus they gave us 2 beers with the
lunch after the ride. Lol. They know marketing...

I don't like competition events but that would be my kind of ride! Has
to be the good stuff though, not any cheap beer brand.