Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cycles away.

Old June 8th 18, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cyclesaway.

On 08/06/2018 09:49, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 16:27:31 GMT, MrCheerful
wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of
where they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

no, it is prejudice based on the behaviour of users of said mode of
transport.
If the majority of the users were sensible, law abiding and behaved
with normal manners and sensibilities then no-one would have any
problem with them.

Well, quite. Sadly there are many poor drivers in charge of large lumps
of metal endangering other road users every minute of the day. And
apologists who come here willing to blame all of societies ills on a
minority.

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on cyclists?

It would be against the charter of the group to go off topic. This is a
group about cyclists in the UK

If you insist upon bringing drivers into your whatabouttery argument,
then I would have to say that as a proportion of the totals, bad
cyclists far outnumber good cyclists. Whereas bad car drivers are far
outnumbered by good ones.
Old June 8th 18, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of
where they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

no, it is prejudice based on the behaviour of users of said mode of
transport.
If the majority of the users were sensible, law abiding and behaved
with normal manners and sensibilities then no-one would have any
problem with them.

Well, quite. Sadly there are many poor drivers in charge of large lumps
of metal endangering other road users every minute of the day. And
apologists who come here willing to blame all of societies ills on a
minority.

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on cyclists?

It would be against the charter of the group to go off topic.Â* This is a
group about cyclists in the UK

If you insist upon bringing drivers into your whatabouttery argument,
then I would have to say that as a proportion of the totals, bad
cyclists far outnumber good cyclists.Â* Whereas bad car drivers are far
outnumbered by good ones.

Tell that to the Pounder idiot.
Old June 8th 18, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 09:12:45 GMT, MrCheerful
wrote:

On 08/06/2018 09:49, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 16:27:31 GMT, MrCheerful g.odonnell35

@yahoo.co.uk
wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

[...]

You haven't been out much (on your bicycle to keep it on topic) lately
then? And it doesn't take many bad drivers (but no-one admits they're
less than "above average") to create an atmosphere of fear.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old June 8th 18, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

[...]

So why does the 'atmosphere of fear' cause cyclists to behave irresponsibly?
Old June 9th 18, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 08/06/18 00:17, JNugent wrote:
On 07/06/2018 20:47, TMS320 wrote:
On 07/06/18 17:23, JNugent wrote:
On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of where
they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

No prejudice. It all arises out of experience and acquired
information, much of it gained in this very NG.

You and Cheerless clearly live a very sheltered existence.

The exact opposite, I'm afraid.

"acquired information, much of it gained in this very NG". I rest my case.

I wish it weren't; I really do.

I wish cyclists today were as law-abiding and sociable as cyclists were
in the 1950s. Don't you?

To people of a certain age and beyond the past is always a golden era.
Culture has changed out of recognition since the 50's. Not that I was
there and only have black & white films to go by.

You take an occasional report about a "cyclist" doing something wrong
(which invariably has nothing to do with actually riding the bike) and
choose not to compare with the population at large.

I really don't care about obedience to the law when what is important is
the safety of others. It ought to be a given that, compared to a driver,
a person on a bike cannot afford (on average) to be selfish.
Old June 9th 18, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of
where they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

no, it is prejudice based on the behaviour of users of said mode of
transport.
If the majority of the users were sensible, law abiding and behaved
with normal manners and sensibilities then no-one would have any
problem with them.

Well, quite. Sadly there are many poor drivers in charge of large lumps
of metal endangering other road users every minute of the day. And
apologists who come here willing to blame all of societies ills on a
minority.

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing to
with riding a bike.

It would be against the charter of the group to go off topic.Â* This is a
group about cyclists in the UK

Not at all. If you insist on sitting there and criticing, a comparison
is essential.

If you insist upon bringing drivers into your whatabouttery argument,
then I would have to say that as a proportion of the totals, bad
cyclists far outnumber good cyclists.Â* Whereas bad car drivers are far
outnumbered by good ones.

Drivers have many bad habits. They are so commonplace most are easily
dealt with by experience and instances quickly forgotten.

"Badness" only really matters when a repeated pattern of behaviour is
something we can't adapt to and causes harm. Nugent mentioned the
50's... Written rules have hardly changed but can you imagine how a
driver of those days would fare if time shifted into modern traffic?

Of the sins you mention about cyclists (at least, the few that are
actually to do with riding a bike) then the statistics tell us that if
often repeated (as you claim), they are not significantly harmful or, if
harmful, they can't be repeated as often as you think.

But even if (it is a big IF) you are right about proportions, serious
"badness" in a single driver does more harm than hundreds or even
thousands of "bad" cyclists.
Old June 9th 18, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

[...]

Define "irresponsibly"
Old June 9th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:36:34 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Bear in mind Autohilcs Anonymous was formed solely to prevent 'law abiding' motorists from being caught speeding.
Old June 9th 18, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of
where they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

no, it is prejudice based on the behaviour of users of said mode of
transport.
If the majority of the users were sensible, law abiding and behaved
with normal manners and sensibilities then no-one would have any
problem with them.

Well, quite. Sadly there are many poor drivers in charge of large lumps
of metal endangering other road users every minute of the day. And
apologists who come here willing to blame all of societies ills on a
minority.

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing to
with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills.
In a car you are your own little world and other people are just in the way.
In the past when people walked, cycled and used the bus they had to cooperate with their fellow man.
Just look at the way drivers push into queues, behaviour that would not have been tolerated in the past.
Now we see the same ME FIRST attitude everywhere.

Then, of course, there is the Stamford Prison Experiment.
Old June 9th 18, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 09/06/18 11:16, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on
cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing
to with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills. In a car
you are your own little world and other people are just in the way.

In a car, I feel hemmed in and constrained. A bike gives a very
different view of the world. I believe I transfer some of the feeling of
vulnerability, the spatial and defensive skills learned on a bike into
driving.

In the past when people walked, cycled and used the bus they had to
cooperate with their fellow man. Just look at the way drivers push
into queues, behaviour that would not have been tolerated in the
past.
Now we see the same ME FIRST attitude everywhere.

There is a massive level of hypocrisy amongst people that only see the
the world through the windscreen and mutter about various perceived
faults of a person they see riding a bike.

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.