Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-04-12 14:51, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/12/2018 3:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Get these:
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-vl-chd11-base

Wait until Nashbar runs a 40% off deal. Hit the stickers with a hair
dryer or heat gun, and they peel right off.

I bought some cheap Vuelta disc wheels from my commuter bike
expecting them to die in a month or two -- but no, they're
really tough. The QR is ****, so throw that away, and for some
reason, the axle ends don't bite into my rear dropout, so the
wheel can shift, which is a little odd but probably peculiar to
my bike. So far, the wheel has been a great value. Standard
J-bend spokes and replaceable cartridge bearings, so it is
reparable.

I predict that those won't work for Joerg.

I think they would, since Jay used them on a tandem. How does one
find out when Nashbar has their 40% off days without signing up for
an email barrage?

No, no, no. I didn't use them on my tandem. I use them on my
commuter bike. The tandem was Sun Chinook rims with 36 hole Shimano
XT hubs and 14/15G spokes. Rear may have been 40 spokes. I sold the
bike and don't remember.

Ok, but that still means modern 14 gauge spokes can hold up. My thick
spokes are SS but from the 80's and maybe the steel back then wasn't as
good.

I get the Nashbar e-mails, so the only way you would know is by
checking periodically.

There are many higher-priced options out there, but all of them will
involve something other than your current 450g MA2 variant.

I don't care about weight. If they weighed 2lbs and be robust as a tank
I'd be ok with them.

... I think
H Plus Son makes some nice rims. You can buy them he
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...p?category=856
Velocity Dyads are robust. I'm sure Andrew could build you a bullet
proof road wheel that does not have eBike spokes. Spend some money
and get good hubs with a noisy angry-bee freehub.

I'll go with a ready-to-roll wheel set when my rims are up. A better
freehub would be nice though. So far I always had Shimano and Formula.
They are very quiet but don't last very long. One thing that limited my
selection on the road bike is the 126mm spacing but if I'd bend that up
to 130mm I should be able to use anything.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/