The secret of how to ride fast and far

Old November 2nd 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default The secret of how to ride fast and far

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 1:57:09 AM UTC-4, James wrote:

Did you know wine sales volume has reached beer sales volume in
Australia? Are people becoming more cultured? Or is our wine just a
cheap alcoholic beverage?

http://theconversation.com/the-rise-...e-nation-14875

The best bottle of wine we ever had was Australian. Some friends brought it to a casual party at our house, and we drank it weeks later. It was so good it was other-worldly, with flavors cascading one after another with each sip. Absolutely heavenly!

We strongly suspect it had been given to our friends, who "re-gifted" it to us without knowing it's quality.

Unfortunately, we were never able to locate the wine again, and we've since lost the note with the vintner's name. We keep hopefully trying Australian wines, even though they're the exact opposite of Buying Local.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 2nd 13, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 8:22:38 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Sheesh... 57% of the national budget for "military" and the last war
they were able to win was in 1945?

Well, we did pretty well in Iraq War Version 1.

Militarily we did OK in Version 2's invasion as well. It was just the "peacekeeping" that was botched. Not that it was a good idea to throw trillions of dollars into invading, temporarily suppressing, and destabilizing a huge desert based on imaginary weapons...

But hey, when 57% of your money goes to military, it's a shame to waste it just on defense. I mean, if one of your bikes were worth 10 times as much as the next best one, you'd have to try it out from time to time, right?

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 2nd 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 08:33:42 -0700, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Did you know wine sales volume has reached beer sales volume in
Australia? Are people becoming more cultured? Or is our wine just a
cheap alcoholic beverage?

http://theconversation.com/the-rise-...e-nation-14875

The best bottle of wine we ever had was Australian. Some friends
brought it to a casual party at our house, and we drank it weeks later.
It was so good it was other-worldly, with flavors cascading one after
another with each sip. Absolutely heavenly!

We strongly suspect it had been given to our friends, who "re-gifted" it
to us without knowing it's quality.

Unfortunately, we were never able to locate the wine again, and we've
since lost the note with the vintner's name. We keep hopefully trying
Australian wines, even though they're the exact opposite of Buying
Local.

Wolf Blass is an outstanding Aussie wine. Give it a go if you spot some.
--
davethedave
Old November 2nd 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:02:33 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/2/2013 7:22 AM, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 21:06:09 -0700, Dan
wrote:

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Sheesh... 57% of the national budget for "military" and the last war
they were able to win was in 1945?

A clever falsehood. The key word is 'discretionary' where
the only Constitutional obligation, national defense, is
declared 'optional' and all the huge and growing welfare
programs are called 'non-discretionary'.

I have a hard time equating the words "national defense" and "invasion."

If Canadians start shooting across the border, then yes, I think we should defend our nation. But if the Vietnamese elect a communist leader, or if some guy in Iraq occasionally _pretends_ to have WMDs that aren't nearly as good as ours, then an invasion isn't "national defense."

And if our military budget exceeds that of the next ten nations combined, who are we pretending to defend ourselves from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_expenditures

"Damn! Them Hatfields just bought themselves a BB gun! We gotta get us a helicopter with a gatling gun!" - Mr. McCoy

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 2nd 13, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

John B. wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 21:06:09 -0700, Dan
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11:17 PM UTC-4, davethedave wrote:

Petrol is
$2.46 a litre today. Which if my maths is correct (possibly not :/ ) is
at $9.31 a gallon, very sound bike buying logic. The 2nd most expensive
in the world. I'm sure the government will try to regain the number one
spot soon.

I filled up today at $3.09 per U.S. gallon. I apologize!

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Sheesh... 57% of the national budget for "military" and the last war
they were able to win was in 1945?

Note the DISCRETIONARY... Most of my discretionary spending is beer and
bike parts, but that's nit an accurate picture of where my money goes.
Old November 2nd 13, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

A clever falsehood. The key word is 'discretionary' where
the only Constitutional obligation, national defense, is
declared 'optional' and all the huge and growing welfare
programs are called 'non-discretionary'.

The Preamble lists several reasons for establishing the Constitution. Right
after "provide for the common defence" it says "promote the general
Welfare". Article I Section 8, which lists the powers of Congress, has the
same wording. And note that appropriations for Armies are limited to two
years.

Old November 2nd 13, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 02/11/2013 05:57, James wrote:
On 02/11/13 03:44, davethedave wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:19:03 -0700, Dan O wrote:

8. remain in good condition throughout the year , defeated age./p

Do you mean "throughout the years"? You can't defeat age; don't fight
it. You can age gracefully, though.

I prefer to age disgracefully. Speaking of which It's round about beer
o'clock on a Friday evening here.

Did you know wine sales volume has reached beer sales volume in
Australia? Are people becoming more cultured? Or is our wine just a
cheap alcoholic beverage?

http://theconversation.com/the-rise-...e-nation-14875

From what I know about the quality of Australian beer vs Australian
wine (the latter being well regarded, the former, well...), surely the
answer is obvious? :-)

Old November 3rd 13, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11:17 PM UTC-4, davethedave wrote:

Petrol is
$2.46 a litre today. Which if my maths is correct (possibly not :/ ) is
at $9.31 a gallon, very sound bike buying logic. The 2nd most expensive
in the world. I'm sure the government will try to regain the number one
spot soon.

I filled up today at $3.09 per U.S. gallon. I apologize!

http://nationalpriorities.org/media/uploads/spending_-_discretionary_pie_2014_big.png

Sheesh... 57% of the national budget for "military" and the last war
they were able to win was in 1945?

A clever falsehood. The key word is 'discretionary' where
the only Constitutional obligation, national defense, is
declared 'optional' and all the huge and growing welfare
programs are called 'non-discretionary'.

Good luck with that.

One of the many things I don't understand is the U.S. budget.... and
I'm not sure that I even want to know :-)

But an entity that has a budget and runs out of money before the
budgeted period ends is not acting responsibly, or intelligently.

For God's sakes, my wife can run the house on her budget and this guy,
hired at great cost to manage the richest nation in the world, can't?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 3rd 13, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

$10/gallon ? Uncle Cribari ?

Frank, think of China as a client state spawned from Cold War defense spending via Schultz and over grazing.

The anaerobic should begin soon after warmup, no Pike necessary.

Big deal with an established interval training over a 'natural' intervals where you slow caws ura tired...is allowing muscular chemical recovery to a go again state with supportive margins of recovery time rather than assumed psychological recovery/exercise time/periods.

how that for BS ? PHD DUDE !

Old November 4th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

when I spoke with here she said she was on Uranus.....