today's ride

Old April 23rd 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default today's ride

On 2018-04-22 09:05, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... Actually, riding through the area years ago coming back from
Tahoe, one of the worst climbs was on HWY 49 near Coulterville.
https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/7a/56/6...e3487b6377.jpg

Long and totally exposed -- after lunch, on a fully loaded touring
bike. I wasn't into it.

I never was. Long climbs are something I have always dreaded and
just do them when I have to. I never understood people like one of
the guys I sometimes ride with. He participated in the Death Ride
several times and actually enjoyed it. When we rode together he'd
sometimes say "Oh, that is a nice climb!" while I'd rather turn on
some reggae on my MP3 player and get it over with. The other sound
I found helps with climbs is the chouff-chouff of a steam
locomotive which I also have on the player.

Why not just listen to the crickets or your tire on the pavement ...

Rear tire on pavement? vvvvt .. vvvvt .. vvvvt ... yeah, that'll be
really entertaining. Right up there with bottom bracket groans.

... or the thoughts in your head.

The only thought I have on steep climbs is "Are we there yet?" :-)

... Blaring music in the wilderness should be
a crime -- like littering.

It's not loud, I keep it down. Other cyclists only hear it when I pass
them or when they pass me, and then only when we are next to each other.
Some like it so much that we ride together a while.

Besides, the din of "regular" traffic drowns it out for others anyhow.

Music can be helpful in other ways but most city folk don't know. For
example, when the din of my MTB spooked a few calves and that spooked
part of a herd. I didn't want any of them to end up tangled in barbed
wire or get hurt otherwise. Since I can't sing I turned the MP3 player
to a nice calm African song, full volume. Sure enough they started
looking where that came from and calmed down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KNDdLmN1qA

Sometimes it even works with wild animals as well but I never tried it
with Van Halen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2M8Y6RFqps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERlf6XU9OD4

Climbing is as miserable as you make it -- but the scenery can be
spectacular, particularly in the Sierra. I've done the Death Ride a
few times and most of the same passes on tours, and I never found the
traffic to be that bad -- but that was years ago (and the roads are
closed for the Death Ride). I was riding with my wife, doing a loop
through Yosemite up to Tahoe and back, and at the top of Monitor
Pass, some guy in a truck pulled over and gave me two cold cans of
Coke. My wife was about five minutes back, and when she got to the
top, I wowed her by producing two cold cans of Coke. That's a
positive traffic memory. It was fortunate, too, because you're a
long way from any water.

That is a place where you definitely should carry a small vial of tiny
chlorine tablets so you can drink creek water without too much anxiety
about developing the runs a few hours later, or worse. Outdoor stores
sell them.

Climbing with my son today was miserable because I tried to keep him
in sight and then blew-up. You do not get faster with age.

The trick is to accept that as a fact of life and not try to keep up
with young riders.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 23rd 18, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-04-20 17:56, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I ride through Willamette Park, and it has a gazebo-like thing in
it, but I this drone video misses it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUZxC_3gK_8 Take my word for
it, we have gazebos up the butt here in PDX.

If I go home on the east side, I can stop at an amusement park.
Top that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNyeMgVVtI Portland's
own Pismo Beach.

Ours is nicer 8-)

http://access.parks.ca.gov/parkpictu...omBealsPic.jpg

It is, but mine is on the way home from work.

So is Folsom Lake for me. My office is less than 100ft from our living
area so going to work won't require a bicycle for me. Beals Point is a
place I often go to on errand rides or training rides into the valley.
It costs a total of 2mi detour which is a drop in the bucket during a
40mi trip.

... If I want to go to a river destination, I go he
http://crimdom.net/photos/2017/colum...e/#montage.mp4

That is indeed pristine. We have to go up into the mountains or to
Yosemite to see waterfalls like that. Than can be achieved via bicycle
but it'll take a while.

... It definitely has a gazebo -- and a skating rink with a
mighty Wurlitzer! Cameron Park would die to have this kind of
action! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3N39p8uSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsvZESoAuQ Couples to the
right!

Cool, he is playing while watch the pretty girls, doesn't even need
the sheet music.

Cameron Park also has its attractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sd0yoHsM8

No skating rink though but there is an open air one in Folsom
during winter, in the middle of old town where I regularly cycle
through.

And airplanes. What is has is a warm, dry climate and the Sierra up
the road. I'd be riding up there.

I generally don't unless it is singletrack. Most roads are narrow and
once in a while there is some expression censored blowing through at
breakneck speed in a lowered sports car or on a motorcycle. As if
nothing slow could ever be in the road. Like ... a climbing cyclist..
After the last comeuppance where a helmet with attached rider and
motorcycle flew by under my left elbow I had enough of that.

... Actually, riding through the area
years ago coming back from Tahoe, one of the worst climbs was on HWY
49 near Coulterville.
https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/7a/56/6...e3487b6377.jpg
Long and totally exposed -- after lunch, on a fully loaded touring
bike. I wasn't into it.

I never was. Long climbs are something I have always dreaded and just do
them when I have to. I never understood people like one of the guys I
sometimes ride with. He participated in the Death Ride several times and
actually enjoyed it. When we rode together he'd sometimes say "Oh, that
is a nice climb!" while I'd rather turn on some reggae on my MP3 player
and get it over with. The other sound I found helps with climbs is the
chouff-chouff of a steam locomotive which I also have on the player..

Why not just listen to the crickets or your tire on the pavement or the thoughts in your head. Blaring music in the wilderness should be a crime -- like littering.

Climbing is as miserable as you make it -- but the scenery can be spectacular, particularly in the Sierra. I've done the Death Ride a few times and most of the same passes on tours, and I never found the traffic to be that bad -- but that was years ago (and the roads are closed for the Death Ride). I was riding with my wife, doing a loop through Yosemite up to Tahoe and back, and at the top of Monitor Pass, some guy in a truck pulled over and gave me two cold cans of Coke. My wife was about five minutes back, and when she got to the top, I wowed her by producing two cold cans of Coke. That's a positive traffic memory. It was fortunate, too, because you're a long way from any water.

Climbing with my son today was miserable because I tried to keep him in sight and then blew-up. You do not get faster with age.

-- Jay Beattie.

Count your blessings. I have to fly 2-3 hours or drive 10 hours to enjoy the real climbing accompanied with spectacular scenery you have in your back yarden.
Picture during one of my rides during spring ahum trainingcamp last week in Spain:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...LWZbFfcnE5St89
I suffered sometimes when it got steeper than 15% but the was forgotten fast.

Lou, the link doesn't work. I want to see the pictures!

Oops, privacy settings.
Does this work
https://photos.app.goo.gl/x5ISkl6eCRBXXErr1
I always forget to take pictures.

My backyard has short-ish climbs in the 1-4 mile range, so you can do a lot of hill repeats. The Columbia River Gorge is 30-40 miles away -- it's great scenery with some longer climbs, but nothing epic. Way out at the dry end of the Gorge (well past my maximum bike-only cruising distance) the Rowena loops are cool -- but still not a lot of elevation gain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6FeQqm_swo You can probably get that much elevation in Belgium.

There is good climbing up Mt. Hood -- which is long out and back mileage (beyond my old-age cruising distance now), and I usually drive for 20-30 miles and park. Great gravel, if you're into gravel. https://9c6b53ca9328df2f48cf-63062a4...t-Object-1.jpg

http://www.oregongravelgrinder.com/w...ull-36copy.jpg

The nearest climbing that is anything like the Alps, though, is north-east of Joergville in the California Sierra. Even the descents can be tough climbs. The back side of Ebbetts Pass is Pacific Grade which has some 20% sections and a really pretty alpine lake at the top. http://cyclepass.com/t_pca_Pacific_Grade_Summit.html

So. Cal has some top-10 US climbs, but the moon has prettier landscape. https://www.outsideonline.com/sites/...ey_0329212.jpg Go kill yourself on Onion Valley Road. Yechh. These days, I don't really like climbing for the sake of climbing. I do it for the scenery and often because its where there are the fewest cars.

As I said, count your blessings. End of June is our next trip. This time we are crossing the Alpes; from the South of Germany to the North of Italy hence this training camp/holiday ;-)

Lou
Old April 23rd 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/22/2018 2:04 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Why not just listen to the crickets or your tire on the pavement or the thoughts in your head. Blaring music in the wilderness should be a crime -- like littering.

Wasn't that you with the Radio Shack bicycle radio?
https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/radio_shack_usa/archer_road_patrol_bike_radio_12_1369994.jpg

San Jose Bike Party, a critical mass type ride, has some group rides
with music on synchronized sound bikes. I haven't been on one of their
rides, but a sound bike showed up for a Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
Ride.
Old April 24th 18, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-04-22 09:05, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

Riding by cows requires music? Oddly enough, I've ridden right through cattle herds in Montana with no music. I ride by cows out in the country, and they just stand there doing their cow thing. Try elk -- they scare easily, more so than cows. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...on-town-n10676

There is no reason for having an MP3 player and speakers on a bike. The rest of the world manages without, even the fint-hard folks way out in the badlands of Cameron Park -- around the 18th hole.

[...]

Sure, if there were a creek. https://i1.trekearth.com/photos/9668...onitor8314.jpg That's where I got the Coke. Plus, we had iodine or chlorine tablets. This was a loaded tour, although we did not have CPR mask, heart-lung machine, fence nail, iron rail section, etc., etc. My wife was fire crew and a back country guard in the Forest Service, so she always packed pills or a filter. I'd take my chances. You city people who live near golf courses wouldn't know what its like to be out for weeks or months at a time on a bike or on foot, braving the elements, climbing giant mountains -- eating pancakes in Yosemite, gambling in Tahoe. That was a great little trip.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 24th 18, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-22 09:05, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

Same here. It's only when they get startled that it can really help.
Every cowboy worth his salt knows that.

Then there are fancy restaurants that use special and expensive Japanese
beef from cattle that was regularly exposed to music, from Tchaikovsky
AFAIK.

... I ride by cows out in
the country, and they just stand there doing their cow thing. Try elk
-- they scare easily, more so than cows.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...on-town-n10676

They even heeded the stop sign. Nice.

There is no reason for having an MP3 player and speakers on a bike.

Sure there is. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people
won't have a benefit from it.

The rest of the world manages without, even the fint-hard folks way
out in the badlands of Cameron Park -- around the 18th hole.

Some even manage without beer. If someone opined that drinking beer is
dumb, would you stop?

[...]

Sure, if there were a creek.

Well, there is Heenan Lake. It would take a while to drink that up.
There are more watering holes besides the road. I can't share sat view
photos anymore because the script kiddies at Google have "improved" the
web site to the point where its usefulness approaches zero.

https://i1.trekearth.com/photos/9668...onitor8314.jpg That's
where I got the Coke. Plus, we had iodine or chlorine tablets. This
was a loaded tour, although we did not have CPR mask, heart-lung
machine, fence nail, iron rail section, etc., etc. My wife was fire
crew and a back country guard in the Forest Service, so she always
packed pills or a filter. I'd take my chances. You city people who
live near golf courses wouldn't know what its like to be out for
weeks or months at a time on a bike or on foot, braving the elements,
climbing giant mountains -- eating pancakes in Yosemite, gambling in
Tahoe. That was a great little trip.

Oh, we know. I have spent a lot of time in the boonies far away from
civilization. Usually I try to prepare well.

Old April 24th 18, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-04-22 14:04, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 9:57:29 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
... I'd rather turn on
some reggae on my MP3 player and get it over with. The other sound
I found helps with climbs is the chouff-chouff of a steam
locomotive which I also have on the player.

Why not just listen to the crickets or your tire on the pavement ...

Rear tire on pavement? vvvvt .. vvvvt .. vvvvt ... yeah, that'll be
really entertaining. Right up there with bottom bracket groans.

Â*Â*Â*Â* ... or the thoughts in your head.

The only thought I have on steep climbs is "Are we there yet?" :-)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... Blaring music in the wilderness should be
a crime -- like littering.

It's not loud, I keep it down. Other cyclists only hear it when I pass
them or when they pass me, and then only when we are next to each other.
Some like it so much that we ride together a while.

Our club once had a new guy show up with a little boom box on his bike's
rear rack. I'm sure he thought A) it was great music B) everybody would
like it C) it wasn't too loud.

Nobody would ride anywhere near him. AFAIK, after two club rides he
never came back.

There's a lot of ignorance about music. One very nice guy I know once
mentioned that he and I and our significant others should go out to some
area bar some time, to hear some bands he liked. He said something like
"Come on, you like good music!"

And it's true that most people like good music. Trouble is, we differ
wildly and adamantly about our personal definitions of "good music." And
IME the least musical people are the ones who understand this the least.
They think _everybody_ should love Van Halen (or whomever) because,
well, dude! He's so GOOD!

Without getting into disputes about genres or artists, I'd say the only
music I'd ever want to hear while on the bike or in nature (including
campgrounds) would be live music played or sung without any electronics
involved. If you can't play or sing it yourself, you should be too
embarrassed to impose it on others.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 24th 18, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-04-22 14:04, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'd also suggest that "Good Music", to some extent at least, depends
on the ambience in which one hears it :-) A 5 string banjo certainly
sounds appropriate at an out door sing along but I can't conceive an
opera, say Die Walküre, played on the 5 string :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 24th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2018-04-22 14:04, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I couldn't find any Wagner. How about some Bach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLyM4gCrn1k

Actually, it sounds just a bit similar to a lute.

- Frank Krygowski

Today's ride Tom Crispin UK 7 October 12th 08 03:37 PM
Today's Ride Nigel Randell[_2_] UK 5 October 23rd 07 10:38 AM
today's ride Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 May 14th 06 09:02 AM
Seen on today's ride Brian G UK 31 January 25th 06 12:58 PM
Today's ride Tim Hall UK 6 February 3rd 04 11:45 AM