Zipp 340 vs. Zipp 303

Old July 27th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
zencycle

Default Zipp 340 vs. Zipp 303

I've been offered a set of NOS zipp 340s (ok, a few miles on them).
The 303 is allegedly the next generation of the 340? I've been told
the rims are the same. Is there a real difference here? Being the
skeptical curmudgeon I am, I can't see Zipp changing the model number
because some one at corporate was bored. What _did_ change?

Old July 27th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

Zipp changes the layup of their rims all the time even if there
*isn't* a change in the outer shape and/or model #. The current 303
rims are 44mm deep, and are heavier and stronger than the previous
38mm 303s. The 340s are quite old and I'm sure they have little in
common with the new 303 rims. For one thing, the tension limit was
80kg on older Zipp rims (now 100kg), so that should give you some idea
of their strength. The new shapes are also more aerodynamic.

Old July 28th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:40:28 -0700, Ron Ruff
wrote:

Zipp changes the layup of their rims all the time even if there
*isn't* a change in the outer shape and/or model #. The current 303
rims are 44mm deep, and are heavier and stronger than the previous
38mm 303s. The 340s are quite old and I'm sure they have little in
common with the new 303 rims. For one thing, the tension limit was
80kg on older Zipp rims (now 100kg), so that should give you some idea
of their strength. The new shapes are also more aerodynamic.

Some older Zipp rims had the spoke holes drilled straight out, not
offset, which puts a bad bend in the spokes. I had a rear wheel that
was often breaking spokes and think that was the cause.

--
JT
****************************
Old July 29th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On Jul 28, 12:28 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
Some older Zipp rims had the spoke holes drilled straight out, not
offset, which puts a bad bend in the spokes. I had a rear wheel that
was often breaking spokes and think that was the cause.

I've heard that is true also, but there are other rims on the market
today that are center-drilled. Bending the spoke near the nipple so
that the nipple is better aligned with the hole solves this problem.

Old July 29th 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
Some older Zipp rims had the spoke holes drilled straight out, not
offset, which puts a bad bend in the spokes. I had a rear wheel that
was often breaking spokes and think that was the cause.

I've heard that is true also, but there are other rims on the market
today that are center-drilled. Bending the spoke near the nipple so
that the nipple is better aligned with the hole solves this problem.

It mitigates the problem.

--
JT