Laptop on exercise bike?

Old December 10th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
ZBicyclist

Default Laptop on exercise bike?

On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
ideas?

I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
Here is a picture of the handlebars:
http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
such that I can use it while I bike.

(I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

--
Mike Kruger
the CIA created more controversy today by acknowledging that it accidentally

Old December 10th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 9, 6:58 pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
[...]

How about a larger TV with computer input and wireless keyboard and
mouse?
Old December 10th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:58:25 GMT, "ZBicyclist"
wrote:

On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
ideas?

I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
Here is a picture of the handlebars:
http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
such that I can use it while I bike.

(I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

I'd start looking around for an old articulated monitor shelf that
held a CRT monitor. That could be mounted to a convenient wall or
table. A more dedicated installation would be welded, or possibly
clamped, to the handle bar support column. A simple tray is then
screwed to the shelf to increase its size for accomodating a laptop.
--
zk
Old December 10th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

Zoot's ideas all sound do-able. You must not be a shop/tool/project type
person, or you would already have this done. Run down your list of
friends--who has a shop with woodworking and/or welding tools?

Old December 10th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:47:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Zoot's ideas all sound do-able. You must not be a shop/tool/project type
person, or you would already have this done. Run down your list of
friends--who has a shop with woodworking and/or welding tools?

What amazes me is that some people are amazed by the obvious and much
of their knowledge is either arcane or irrelevant to me.

A philosopher PhD friend thoroughly understood Pythagorean theorem,
he just never saw it work the way a carpenter does. Blew his mind.

A history of trial and error helps sort out the options while
spurning new solutions.

The inspiration to "re-purpose" a found item can sometimes get my
juices flowing to the point of lapsing into manic behaviour..
--
zk
Old December 10th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

ZBicyclist wrote:
On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
ideas?

I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
Here is a picture of the handlebars:
http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
such that I can use it while I bike.

(I don't know any more than this; it's not my problem.)

You're looking for an 'exerciser book holder'. Here are examples:
http://www.proportionalreading.com/t...tools.html#BBH

http://www.backbenimble.com/new/pages/levo/index.htm

(from a websearch, no endorsement )
or, if one cannot be found easily, a sheet music stand and a bit of
hardware.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 10th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Zoot Katz

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:45:43 -0600, A Muzi
wrote:

You're looking for an 'exerciser book holder'. Here are examples:
http://www.proportionalreading.com/t...tools.html#BBH

http://www.backbenimble.com/new/pages/levo/index.htm

(from a websearch, no endorsement )
or, if one cannot be found easily, a sheet music stand and a bit of
hardware.

bon idea!

I'd caution a pedestal type music stand as opposed to the
light-weight folding tripod
--
zk
Old December 10th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

I'd caution a pedestal type music stand as opposed to the
light-weight folding tripod

All the music stands I've ever known don't have enough
beef or stability to support expensive electronic
equipment and instill a sense of confidence in the user.
In fact they don't have enough beef or stability to
support sheet music. They /want/ to be tipped over.
They especially like to catch loose shirt sleeves,
and the toes of those who pronate.

The whole idea of reading & perusing while exercising
sounds rather oxymoronic to me. Why not just hire
somebody to do the exercising for you? Kick back with
a six-pack of Chelsea buns and a bag o' Cheetos and a
Coke while watching them work.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old December 10th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 9, 6:58 pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
On another newsgroup, there's the following problem. Anybody here have any
ideas?

I have an 11-year-old Lifecycle exercise bike that works really well.
It was expensive and I do not wish to replace it. It's in the
basement. I would like to drag my laptop down there and read ...
the Wall Street Journal, or something, while I exercise.
Here is a picture of the handlebars:
http://i3.tinypic.com/8fyxuo8.jpg
Why yes, my basement IS really messy. Move along.
How would you jury-rig a laptop holder for the bike? I can figure out
how to get a repeater or something to get the wireless signal down to
the basement, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop propped up
such that I can use it while I bike.

Absolutely pointless. Get an MP3 player and a subscription to Audible
or a suitable equivalent. I just listened to a goodly portion of the
original Hitchhiker's Guide BBC broadcast today on my Sansa Clip
(brill little unit, BTW) while doing crap around the house. I consumed
Gore's newest a couple weeks ago. Audio books are the future, I'm
ditching my wax cylinder collection.

Old December 10th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

A philosopher PhD friend thoroughly understood Pythagorean theorem,
he just never saw it work the way a carpenter does. Blew his mind.

I have a copy of this:

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,ste...k,1281442.html
The Steel Square Book, by Fred T. Hodgson. I believe there
are re-prints available, possibly at Book Warehouse. It's
an excellent reference source.

A history of trial and error helps sort out the options while
spurning new solutions.

The inspiration to "re-purpose" a found item can sometimes get my
juices flowing to the point of lapsing into manic behaviour..

I'm almost ready to build my pizza hod. I've just gotta
get past the holiday season, to see where my budget goes.

cheers,
Tom

Exercise Bike Dave UK 6 January 9th 07 08:08 PM
Exercise bike or mag trainer? [email protected] Techniques 18 August 26th 06 04:36 AM
If you need recommendations on a good exercise bike... [email protected] General 1 April 30th 06 05:25 AM
Bike riding does not seem like exercise [email protected] Racing 33 December 30th 05 11:51 PM
Anyone make a good exercise bike <$350? Brook Stevens General 3 May 2nd 05 06:57 PM