New trailer with box

Old May 3rd 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default New trailer with box

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...trailerbox.jpg

The Zarges 157 litre aluminum box (internal dimension 750mm x 550mm x
380mm) is attached to a Carry Freedon flatbed trailer using a quick
release system. I have bolted four rubber 'feet' to the base of the
box. These line up with the four holes in the trailer. The box is
held down and onto the trailer by a single velcro strap.

The hitch is Carry Freedom's chariot hitch:
www.britishschoolofcycling.com/photos/hitch.jpg

Cost:
Carry Freedom Y-Large Trailer £210
Carry Freedom Chariot Hitch £35
Zarges Aluminium Box 157L £215
Total - £460

Possibly not good value for money, but well worth is yesterday when I
pushed it around the supermarket to do my weekly shop. 'Twas a little
awkward holding the Brompton while reaching to the top shelf for a jar
of feta stuffed olives, and at one point I thought the security guards
were going to sling me out, but they seemed to think better of it when
they saw someone photographing me with their mobile phone.
Old May 3rd 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
news
[...]

Wheeling the Brompton plus tailer around supermaket aisles strikes me as
being rather cumbersome. If there was convenient secure parking, appropriate
for storing the rig, would you use a convensional trolley, or is the
transfer too much of a hassle?

You mention that the attatchment is quick release. If secure parking was
available, suitable for the Brompton on its own, would you be able and
willing to split the trailer from the bike and use the trailer around the
supermarket on its own?

I keep saying that I'd like to do more of my shopping on the bike, but I
find that I'm put off by the fact that the bike racks are far from the
doors, out in the open.

David Lloyd

Old May 3rd 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 3 May 2009 10:57:15 +0100, "David Lloyd"
wrote:

Wheeling the Brompton plus tailer around supermaket aisles strikes me as
being rather cumbersome. If there was convenient secure parking, appropriate
for storing the rig, would you use a convensional trolley, or is the
transfer too much of a hassle?

I was showing an example to all those shoppers who drove to the
supermarket of the alternative. Had I locked my bike and trailer in
the cycle area (the supermarket has a reasonably good cycle park area)
and used a trolley, I would have been unidentifiable as a cyclist to
the other shoppers (I wear normal clothes to promote cycling as a
normal activity.)

The bike and trailer is very cumbersome in a supermarket, and I would
recommend to anyone that they leave it outside and use a trolley
instead. I doubt I'll be taking them into the shop again, but I was
so inspired by Orvil-on-a-bike (www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQXhivo0Ds)
that I felt compelled to take it inside. What I really wanted to do
was ride around the shop, but with security guards stalking me I
hadn't the courage.

You mention that the attatchment is quick release. If secure parking was
available, suitable for the Brompton on its own, would you be able and
willing to split the trailer from the bike and use the trailer around the
supermarket on its own?

The quick release I mentioned was the box from the trailer. The
release, trailer from bike, is equally quick.

Carry Freedom have a handle that can turn the trailer into a cart. I
am not convinced that this make things much easier due to the long
attachment arm of the trailer. The Supermarket is always willing to
keep a folded Brompton behind their customer service desk.

I keep saying that I'd like to do more of my shopping on the bike, but I
find that I'm put off by the fact that the bike racks are far from the
doors, out in the open.

Trolley racks often make excellent cycle racks and are usually in the
correct place for bike racks outside supermarkets. I am sure that you
could find somewhere sufficiently visible and convienient to lock your
bike at your local supermarket. I have a 1.4 metre motorcycle lock
and a D-lock (together they weigh 4 Kg) and have never failed to find
somewhere secure to lock my bike.
Old May 3rd 09, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
judith smith

On Sun, 03 May 2009 09:52:56 +0100, Tom Crispin
wrote:

[...]

I bet it gave the other shoppers a laugh.

Did you hear anyone say "What a knob?"

ffs

And you wonder why people take the **** out of the group known as
:"cyclists".

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 3rd 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message
Did you hear anyone say "What a knob?"

ffs

And you wonder why people take the **** out of the group known as
:"cyclists".

I thought the same when some fat red faced nob in a 4.2 litre Range Rover
drove past me with a personalised number plate as though he was summat, as
we say oop north.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old May 3rd 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Richard Bird

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Judith Smith" wrote in message
Did you hear anyone say "What a knob?"

ffs

And you wonder why people take the **** out of the group known as
:"cyclists".

I thought the same when some fat red faced nob in a 4.2 litre Range Rover
drove past me with a personalised number plate as though he was summat, as
we say oop north.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

So what did he do that you didnt approve of that caused you to refer to him
as a nob, and where does the engine size of the vehicle that he drove or the
number plate come into it

Old May 3rd 09, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Simon Mason

"Richard Bird" wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

So what did he do that you didnt approve of that caused you to refer to
him as a nob, and where does the engine size of the vehicle that he drove
or the number plate come into it

I suppose it's the same prejudice that saw Judith have a pop at someone
buying a jar of olives! Either that or the fact he pulled out from the side
of the road without looking or indicating, then wound down his window to
complain that I hadn't let him out.

Old May 3rd 09, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
thaksin

Richard Bird wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...
"Judith Smith" wrote in message
Did you hear anyone say "What a knob?"

ffs

And you wonder why people take the **** out of the group known as
:"cyclists".

I thought the same when some fat red faced nob in a 4.2 litre Range Rover
drove past me with a personalised number plate as though he was summat, as
we say oop north.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

So what did he do that you didnt approve of that caused you to refer to him
as a nob, and where does the engine size of the vehicle that he drove or the
number plate come into it

Funny how even when someone could afford it (you've no IDEA how cheap
the petrol-engined Sport is, used) they still have a touch of the
green-eyed monster when someone gives an open display of wealth.
Old May 3rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

I keep saying that I'd like to do more of my shopping on the bike, but I
find that I'm put off by the fact that the bike racks are far from the
doors, out in the open.

Looking at my own photo got me wondering...

So I tried it out...

Yes... It works.

The Brompton can be put its rear rack stand with the trailer attached.

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...s/trailer2.jpg

The bike needs to be at about 30 degrees to the trailer.

I now have a fully cycleable shopping cart.
Old May 3rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Richard Bird

"thaksin" wrote in message
Richard Bird wrote:
[...]

The 4.2 Rangies are as cheap as chips now but i wouldnt want one, i will
stick to my E270 CDI Merc and get Circa 40 mpg

DIY trailer? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 4 July 17th 07 07:07 AM
Trailer! unifreak7 Unicycling 41 October 10th 06 04:51 AM
I know it's a trailer, and you know... [email protected] General 2 March 27th 05 06:00 AM
DIY trailer Sam Berlyn Techniques 12 December 12th 04 05:42 PM
Trailer For New Uni Vid manic_mark Unicycling 7 September 20th 04 03:21 PM