Speedplays, hot spots

Old July 19th 11, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anton Success

Default Speedplays, hot spots

I see that speedplays in their cheapest incarnation
http://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Ligh...1071049&sr=8-2

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?
Old July 19th 11, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 19 jul, 12:35, Anton Success wrote:
I see that speedplays in their cheapest incarnationhttp://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Light-Action-Chromoly-Pedals/dp/B0011...

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?

If you have no issues with SPD they are to expensive. Speedplay X2
serie are the only one you should consider IMO.

Lou
Old July 19th 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anton Success

On Jul 19, 2:15*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 19 jul, 12:35, Anton Success wrote:

I see that speedplays in their cheapest incarnationhttp://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Light-Action-Chromoly-Pedals/dp/B0011...

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?

If you have no issues with SPD they are to expensive. Speedplay X2

right foot SPD started to unlatch easier or I have developed extra
muscle since the last release torque adjustment

mind you I have fairly flexible bottom of the line Shimano mountain
sneaker

serie are the only one you should consider IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Stai...1081022&sr=1-1
these seem to be even more expensive than vanilla speedplay: close to
$200 :-O
Old July 19th 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 19, 5:35*am, Anton Success wrote:
I see that speedplays in their cheapest incarnationhttp://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Light-Action-Chromoly-Pedals/dp/B0011...

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?

If you're really strapped for bux , ride sneakers on a fat bmx pedal,
like an Odyssey twisted. If you're going for retention--the shoe is
far more important than the pedal system. There are exceptions, of
course. I've met a few guys whose bum knees made Speedplay into
lifesavers. Personally, I hate the way they feel--I'd rather ride
SPDs. Hot spots are going to be exacerbated by shoe choice far more
than retention system.

Also, check out Powergrips. There are trendy copies of these made in
Brooklyn by assholes, if you're fashion conscious.
Old July 19th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 19 jul, 15:13, Anton Success wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Stai...dals/dp/B00178...
these seem to be even more expensive than vanilla speedplay: close to
$200 :-O

Yep, they are ridiculous expensive. The original X serie are a
brilliant design for those who appreciate the features. Speedplay
****ed up these features with all the successors. My opinion of
course.

Lou
Old July 19th 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 19 jul, 17:41, Nomen Nescio wrote:
if you walk any distance in your shoes
forget the lollipops - get some frogs

For road pedals/cleats they are quite walkable and durable.

Lou
Old July 20th 11, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Anton Success wrote:

I see that speedplays in their cheapest incarnation
http://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Ligh...1071049&sr=8-2

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?

Hot spots are foot discomfort brought on
by too tight shoes across the top of the
foot restricting blood flow.

--
Michael Press
Old July 20th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jul 19, 4:12*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

http://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Ligh...edals/dp/B0011...

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?

Hot spots are foot discomfort brought on
by too tight shoes across the top of the
foot restricting blood flow.

And by poor distribution of pressure through the ball of the foot --
the metatarsal heads pinching a nerve. http://www.archatomics.com/heelpain/metatarsalgia/
I got rid of crippling hot foot from my ski boots by putting padding
just behind he metatarsal heads. It was like magic. With my cleats,
I've gotten hot foot from a too tight shoe and from an oddly shaped
foot bed that increased the loading on the metatarsal heads -- but
never from the pedal shape or attachment system. Not saying it
couldn't be a problem, but with my CF soles (racing and commuting
shoes), my foot is not bending around a pedal platform. I love stiff
shoes -- after my first pair of birch sole Duegis, I was hooked.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 24th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 24 jul, 19:42, "T°m Sherm@n" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 7/19/2011 6:15 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

On 19 jul, 12:35, Anton *wrote:
I see that speedplays in their cheapest incarnationhttp://www.amazon.com/Speedplay-Light-Action-Chromoly-Pedals/dp/B0011...

still cost an arm and leg.

Are they so much better that I should shell out twice as much as for
the bottom line SPDs?

What are the "hot spots"?

If you have no issues with SPD they are to expensive. Speedplay X2
serie are the only one you should consider IMO.

Lou

butbutbut, you can *walk* in shoes with Frog cleats.

What is this with that walking? I don't walk on my roadbike shoes. Did
a 90 km ride and walked 6 meters: out of my garage 3 meters, get on my
bike, ride 90 km, get of my bike, walk in the garage 3 meters, take of
my shoes and done.

Lou

Old July 24th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
What is this with that walking? I don't walk on my roadbike shoes. Did
a 90 km ride and walked 6 meters: out of my garage 3 meters, get on my
bike, ride 90 km, get of my bike, walk in the garage 3 meters, take of
my shoes and done.

Mystified me too, but hey, riders have wide tastes.
Quoting a police captain from our clipping wall, "It's not a
crime to be weird".

Sure as long as you admit that it is weird.

When I'll be walking much (riding errands) I wear leather
shoes and use a bike with toeclips.

For that purpose I use another bike, normal clothes and shoes and
platform pedals.

Lou
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Not a good day to be riding Speedplays! Mike Jacoubowsky Racing 5 July 7th 11 08:52 PM
Speedplays vs BeBops Solomander Techniques 17 March 14th 07 01:00 PM
Getting chucked off of spots! Eddbmxdude Unicycling 40 December 18th 06 11:17 AM
WANTED SPEEDPLAYS ky Marketplace 1 June 6th 05 02:21 PM
thinking of buying Speedplays Pat General 10 November 28th 04 04:42 AM