A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Workshop time.

Old May 6th 21, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Workshop time.

Got an email from a man interested in the Lemond. I went out to clean it up and it wouldn't shift properly. Looked to me like the small cog was dragging on the dropout. I pulled it apart and it was a Campy Sirocco wheel. It is put together a little funny so that it is completely adjustable in where the wheels centers on the rim. I played around with it and finally got it properly centered. Cleaned everything up and put it back together and it shifts perfectly now.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Di2 but there are several different manners in which you can program it. One of them is to have it do ALL of the shifting on the right lever. It will calculate what the next higher or lower ratio is and change the front, the rear or both to get to that ratio. This allows you to run a 34 tooth sprocket on a short arm derailleur. With a setup that wide you would also have to decrease the shifting time. That's because you would have to do all of the gear changed on the one side so you have to make it shift faster than normal.

I prefer the "normal" shifting pattern though I have changed the levers around so that the back - large - level always shifts into a gear that is faster and the forward - small - lever shifts into slower lower gears. I was having a lot of problems shifting with it because it was operating opposite of what gear shifters normally do. When I got the group from Team CCC it was set up the same way so I guess I'm not the only one.

I pulled the Colnago down to clean it up and check the shifting on it. In the process I realized that it had a Campy Ultra-Torque crankset on it. Since I'm going to sell that Colnago with Dura Ace Di2 on it it doesn't make much sense to leave that Campy stuff on it. I do have a FSA Gossamer crankset so I'll put that on. I don't use Dura Ace cranksets or Ultegra because they break. They are hollow and made in two pieces and will crack and break sometimes breaking the pedals off at the same time. So the FSA aluminum Gossamer is a better choice. And since it is sitting here...

So I cleaned the chain and waxed it and I cleaned the cassette and reinstalled it. While cleaning the frameset up I noticed that there are some scratches on it. They were probably there when I got the frameset since I don't drop chains - use dog fang - but since the paint isn't perfect I'll drop the price. I can tell you this: that CLX3.0 is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. But at 58 cm it is just too small for me. None of the imperfections is bad nor noticeable when in use.

That must have been the bike I accidently did that Rain Ride on. It was FILTHY. All cleaned and just waiting to discover where the bottom bracket is for the FSA.

The chain takes a couple of days for the wax to finish hardening.

Installed the Campy Crank on the Douglas Ti. That puts Record levers, Record Skeleton brakes, Record rear derailleur and the cranks are Chorus since I couldn't find a Record Ultra-Torque compact. The front derailleur will be a Centaur since there is not braze-on and seat tube is NOT round and will have to use a thinner mount so that it can deform to the tube. None of the adapters can do that. So, I'm using a larger diameter mount with a plastic adapter. The Campy cables are on order.
Ads
Old May 6th 21, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Workshop time.

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 6:59:12 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Got an email from a man interested in the Lemond. I went out to clean it up and it wouldn't shift properly. Looked to me like the small cog was dragging on the dropout. I pulled it apart and it was a Campy Sirocco wheel. It is put together a little funny so that it is completely adjustable in where the wheels centers on the rim. I played around with it and finally got it properly centered. Cleaned everything up and put it back together and it shifts perfectly now.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Di2 but there are several different manners in which you can program it. One of them is to have it do ALL of the shifting on the right lever. It will calculate what the next higher or lower ratio is and change the front, the rear or both to get to that ratio. This allows you to run a 34 tooth sprocket on a short arm derailleur. With a setup that wide you would also have to decrease the shifting time. That's because you would have to do all of the gear changed on the one side so you have to make it shift faster than normal.

I prefer the "normal" shifting pattern though I have changed the levers around so that the back - large - level always shifts into a gear that is faster and the forward - small - lever shifts into slower lower gears. I was having a lot of problems shifting with it because it was operating opposite of what gear shifters normally do. When I got the group from Team CCC it was set up the same way so I guess I'm not the only one.

I pulled the Colnago down to clean it up and check the shifting on it. In the process I realized that it had a Campy Ultra-Torque crankset on it. Since I'm going to sell that Colnago with Dura Ace Di2 on it it doesn't make much sense to leave that Campy stuff on it. I do have a FSA Gossamer crankset so I'll put that on. I don't use Dura Ace cranksets or Ultegra because they break. They are hollow and made in two pieces and will crack and break sometimes breaking the pedals off at the same time. So the FSA aluminum Gossamer is a better choice. And since it is sitting here...

So I cleaned the chain and waxed it and I cleaned the cassette and reinstalled it. While cleaning the frameset up I noticed that there are some scratches on it. They were probably there when I got the frameset since I don't drop chains - use dog fang - but since the paint isn't perfect I'll drop the price. I can tell you this: that CLX3.0 is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. But at 58 cm it is just too small for me. None of the imperfections is bad nor noticeable when in use.

That must have been the bike I accidently did that Rain Ride on. It was FILTHY. All cleaned and just waiting to discover where the bottom bracket is for the FSA.

Installed the Campy Crank on the Douglas Ti. That puts Record levers, Record Skeleton brakes, Record rear derailleur and the cranks are Chorus since I couldn't find a Record Ultra-Torque compact. The front derailleur will be a Centaur since there is not braze-on and seat tube is NOT round and will have to use a thinner mount so that it can deform to the tube. None of the adapters can do that. So, I'm using a larger diameter mount with a plastic adapter. The Campy cables are on order.

While looking at the Douglas Vector I realized that it has a Campy Record Ultra Drive on it so I'll exchange that with the Douglas Ti Chorus cranks. That will make everything but the front deraiileur Record. In the Eddy Merckx I will put a Campy Centaur Power Torque compact crank and maybe the Centaur Ergo shifters so that I can save the new Campy levers for spares for the Douglas Ti. I have a suspicion that I'll be riding that one a lot and the proper spares are nice. I had a spare new Record 10 speed kit but it has been misplaced and now they cost a fortune if you can find them. I haven't been able to find Record ergo shifters 10 speed, only the 11 and 12 which has a different pull ratio.
Old May 7th 21, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Workshop time.

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 11:19:54 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 6:59:12 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

While looking at the Douglas Vector I realized that it has a Campy Record Ultra Drive on it so I'll exchange that with the Douglas Ti Chorus cranks. That will make everything but the front deraiileur Record. In the Eddy Merckx I will put a Campy Centaur Power Torque compact crank and maybe the Centaur Ergo shifters so that I can save the new Campy levers for spares for the Douglas Ti. I have a suspicion that I'll be riding that one a lot and the proper spares are nice. I had a spare new Record 10 speed kit but it has been misplaced and now they cost a fortune if you can find them. I haven't been able to find Record ergo shifters 10 speed, only the 11 and 12 which has a different pull ratio.

Well, I switched the Record and Chorus cranksets over.. The basic reason for this is that the Chorus is a 175 length and the Record a 172.5. While it might merely have been my fitness factor, the 175's seemed to make my knee hurt for a half hour or so into a ride and then would go away. The 12.5 didn't do that at all. So Sunday if my knee has healed I will get to see if that is really the case. I took the flat route again today since that knee bends a bit funny when I'm trying to walk and I just don't want to injure it more. Instead I have been practicing holding a steady cadence and that seems to be giving paybacks.

So, the chain is sitting there and the Campy cable set is on its way. The plastic adapters are on their way. The seat post for the ti bike is on its way but if I don't get work on it soon, I'll buy a MUCH easier to get carbon fiber seatpost until the other arrives. The cups for the Eddy will arrive shortly and then I can test if against the Douglas Vector. Who knows, I might sell that off and reduce my inventory to just two bikes. I just had a second inquiry about the Lemond. One guy never even questioned the price. Another day another likely good sale. I would have though I'd have a whole lot of interest in the Felt. That is a NICE bike. But not a word yet.
Old May 7th 21, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster

Default Workshop time.

On Thu, 6 May 2021 16:18:22 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

I just had a second inquiry about the Lemond. One guy never
even questioned the price. Another day another likely good
sale.

Yep. Good luck with the sale.

However, I suspect it might turn out like you "sold" the 2018 Trek
Emonda SL6 after you removed the listing from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294106726321?orig_cvip=true
"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer
available." Did you perhaps remove the listing and then sell it to
the guy from SF so that you could pocket most of eBay's commission and
the Calif sales tax? Or, maybe you didn't sell it? Dunno. Want to
fill in the details?

I would have though I'd have a whole lot of interest in the
Felt. That is a NICE bike. But not a word yet.

Nothing listed in your store on Ebay except the Colnago:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/tomk37/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1
Did you perhaps list is somewhere else? Also nothing on Craigslist.

Looks like you sold a Look frame in Apr 2021 and a Trek Madone 2009
with R9000 Dura Ace group - 60 cm in Mar 2021.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/tomk37/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1& rt=nc

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272