Cable cutters - advice needed

Old November 30th 04, 09:42 PM
Julesh

Default Cable cutters - advice needed

I'm looking for a set of cutters for brake and gear inner and outer
cables. I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful but are there any
cheaper alternatives worth considering?

Does anyone have any experience of the £12.50 ones listed in the Mike
Dyason Catalogue?

Thanks

Julesh
Old November 30th 04, 09:58 PM
Adrian Boliston

"Julesh" wrote:

I'm looking for a set of cutters for brake and gear inner and outer
cables. I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful but are there any
cheaper alternatives worth considering?

I got a cutter called "biketool by union" for £20 which seem to work well,
as I got a bit of a shock at the price of the park cutter!

Old November 30th 04, 10:22 PM
Sam Salt

Julesh wrote:
I'm looking for a set of cutters for brake and gear inner and outer
cables. I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful but are there any
cheaper alternatives worth considering?

Does anyone have any experience of the £12.50 ones listed in the Mike
Dyason Catalogue?

Thanks

Julesh

I cannot speak from experience of them but I seem to recall reading on this
NG that they were very good.

Sam Salt

Old November 30th 04, 10:26 PM
half_pint

"Julesh" wrote in message
k...
I'm looking for a set of cutters for brake and gear inner and outer
cables. I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful but are there any
cheaper alternatives worth considering?

Does anyone have any experience of the £12.50 ones listed in the Mike
Dyason Catalogue?

Nope but get yourself down to "Poundtime" and no doubt you
will get a set of pliars and cutters for about £1.

You may also be able to pick up vaious useful items for a pound
such as a helmet, pump, puncture repair kit, cycling shorts and top,
24 speed mountin bike, set of lights etc and as much battaries as you
can carry :O)

Thanks

Julesh

Old November 30th 04, 11:18 PM
Tim Hall

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:42:13 GMT, Julesh
wrote:

I'm looking for a set of cutters for brake and gear inner and outer
cables. I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful but are there any
cheaper alternatives worth considering?

Does anyone have any experience of the £12.50 ones listed in the Mike
Dyason Catalogue?

Yes. The tin label and performance of product are at one with each
other.

Buy them.

Tim
Old December 1st 04, 02:46 AM
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful

They're crap. Like many Park tools. The cable cutters are made of
thin sheet and tend to bend and twist sideways. They give a rough cut
on stranded cable, with lots of whiskering.

I dumped mine on favour of a pair of Axminster's - cheaper and better.
Old December 1st 04, 05:12 AM
Call me Bob

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 02:46:33 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful

They're crap. Like many Park tools. The cable cutters are made of
thin sheet and tend to bend and twist sideways. They give a rough cut
on stranded cable, with lots of whiskering.

I dumped mine on favour of a pair of Axminster's - cheaper and better.

I've never actually laid hands on a pair of Park cutters, but I'll
stick my neck out and say they are probably crap. Park are not a tool
manufacturer, not a *real* one anyway. They've just positioned
themselves as the "premier" cycle tools outfit. You'll get better
quality and better value buying the real deal though.

A home mechanic looking after one or two bikes will probably only need
a cable cutter a couple of times a year, so perhaps a cheap pair would
do. However, given that you can buy something infinitely better for
not much more, I think it makes sense to spend the extra 10 or 15 quid
and buy a tool that will genuinely last you the rest of your life.

How about these:

http://www.hd-tools.com/stores/pages...1_300/p285.htm

Facom tools are of the highest quality, and have a no bullsh*t
lifetime warranty, if they *ever* fail you, Facom will replace them.

You'll probably have a local facom dealer somewhere near you, get out
the yellow pages and ring around. If you decide to buy, then make sure
you ask for a discount off list price, the dealer will expect to give
one but won't offer if you don't ask, about 15% would be reasonable.

--

Call me "Bob"

"More oneness, less categories,
Open hearts, no strategies"

Old December 1st 04, 08:54 AM
Dave Kahn

"half_pint" wrote in message ...
"Julesh" wrote in message
k...
I'm looking for a set of cutters for brake and gear inner and outer
cables. I'm sure the Park Tool ones are wonderful but are there any
cheaper alternatives worth considering?

Does anyone have any experience of the £12.50 ones listed in the Mike
Dyason Catalogue?

Nope but get yourself down to "Poundtime" and no doubt you
will get a set of pliars and cutters for about £1.

Fine. Buy a set and try them out when your 5 year service interval
comes round. If they cut your cable cleanly let us know.

--
Dave...
Old December 1st 04, 09:32 AM
Colin Blackburn

Call me Bob wrote:

A home mechanic looking after one or two bikes will probably only need
a cable cutter a couple of times a year, so perhaps a cheap pair would
do.

The question with a crap cable cutter is will it cut a clean edge. Even
if you only use it a few times a year you still want a clean edge. Of
course, if it does but only for the first X cuts then that might be
worth considering.

However, given that you can buy something infinitely better for
not much more, I think it makes sense to spend the extra 10 or 15 quid
and buy a tool that will genuinely last you the rest of your life.

Yes. But it depends how long you have left!

Colin
Old December 1st 04, 09:34 AM
Colin Blackburn

Dave Kahn wrote:
"half_pint" wrote in message ...

"Julesh" wrote in message
.uk...
Does anyone have any experience of the £12.50 ones listed in the Mike
Dyason Catalogue?

Nope but get yourself down to "Poundtime" and no doubt you
will get a set of pliars and cutters for about £1.

Fine. Buy a set and try them out when your 5 year service interval
comes round. If they cut your cable cleanly let us know.

You seem to have snipped half pint's punchline.

Colin