Got my Semcycle Longneck frame!

Old July 26th 05, 12:21 AM
UniTyler

Default Got my Semcycle Longneck frame!

Welp, it came! Although it does have a small scratch/dent thingie that
must have been caused somewhere in shipping, it still makes standup
wheelwalk a dream. I know that Evan Byrne stated it would be the same
as my Nimbus frame, but alas it's not. It's both about 1.5 inches wider
at the crown and much lower to the tire. It's boootifully awsome and
sooo cool looking! The only problem is that when I got it it was way to
thin to fit on my hub, but all I had to do was get out the ol' mallet
and whack it onto the bearings a bit. Now it is on okay and rides great
and smooth. You can take a look at the pix below, but my eyes tell me
that the frame is offcenter just a bit. Do you notice that or are my
eyes decieving me?

| Attachment filename: animation.gif |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/342197|

UniTyler - 'Lil Freestylist

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
6 year old Kid - "Nice tricycle!"
Me - "Thanks, but it's a unicycle. Trikes have three wheels, not
one."
Kid - *long silence and then walks away*

UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old July 26th 05, 12:53 AM
Catboy

The picture does make it look off center, make sure that all the bearing
bolts are evenl tightened, and it should fix and frame lean.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

'UPD T-Shirts FOR SALE SOON!!! (Click Me)'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album661)

Old July 26th 05, 03:05 AM
UniTyler

Okay, I measured both sides from the side of the tire to the inside edge
of the frame to see if one was bigger than the other. Sure enough, one
side was 5/8" and the other side was 3/8" inch! I tried loostening and
tightening the different sides and nothing helped. I took the frame off
and spread it a little bit in my vise and that didn't help either. Do
you think the frame is defective or what can I do to help? Please reply
quick as I have to use it a lot this Wednesday at little local unicycle
club meet. Thanks!

--
UniTyler - 'Lil Freestylist

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 26th 05, 03:36 AM
leo

This looks like a semcycle frame that was ordered trough unicycle.com
and so NOT asembled with Semcycle parts.

To solute your problem, 1st find out what the problem is.
- is your right crank is sitting on the right site?
- Is your frame bend?
- Is your wheel not straight?
- Are the bearings sitting well in those clamps? Open up and check how
it looks.

you could respectively
- twist the wheel
- bend the frame back, or rather ask for another
- fix the wheel, or if that's beyond your capabilities: ask for another
or a repair
- clean the bearing-holders, or eventually put something -like a strip
of plastic- in the one sitting on the frame, to get it straight.

--
leo - Leo Vandewoestijne

'+1 866-UNI-CYCL' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'Subscribe' (http://unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) !
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Old July 26th 05, 03:46 AM
leeman180

Here's what I would do: If the frame is on facing forwards, take it off
and turn it so it is facing backwards. Then measure the same thing you
measured before (distance from tire to fork) and if the same side is
still wider than the other, you know it is not the frame that is
tweaked, but your bearing holders, or maybe your wheel.

Does that make sense to you?

--
leeman180 - i should be out riding

'My Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Lees-Uni-Stuff) - last
updated 5/20/05
leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441

Old July 26th 05, 04:52 AM
UniTyler

Here's a little update. After just leaving the frame on the cycle, I
think it's slowly starting to adjust to it and it has gotten about 1/16
of an inch closer to perfection. I think if it's not better in the
morning, I'll take the frame off and try bending out the side that look
a tad straighter than the other.

--
UniTyler - 'Lil Freestylist

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 26th 05, 05:31 AM
jagur

sent it back, that dent isnt tragic but its rediculas that its there at
all. dont blame that on the shipper either, blame it on the packer.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old July 26th 05, 06:21 AM
john_childs

Unicycle.com UK has a FAQ on how to bend a typical Taiwan frame to fit a
different width hub.
'Frame bending and straightening FAQ' (http://tinyurl.com/2g3uf)

Not all hubs have the same bearing width. The frames built like the Sem
XL Long Neck and the Yuni and other similar frames can be bent so they
fit a different hub than they were designed to use. Bending the frame
legs as in the FAQ will allow you to get the wheel perfectly centered.
If you don't want to do it you can take it to your favorite local bike
shop and they can do it. Find a bike shop that has experience fixing
bent bike forks. That frame will be an easy job for them. You can
print out those directions from the FAQ but a bike shop that has
experience fixing bent bike forks will already know what to do.

And just to CMA, don't anyone try bending an aluminum frame like the
Onza or the new KH. That's one thing that you can't do with an aluminum
frame.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old July 26th 05, 01:59 PM
Mojoe

jagur wrote:
*sent it back, blame it on the packer. *

word...

--
Mojoe - Move to Iceland

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/