Clear Channel surrenders

Old November 18th 03, 01:36 AM
Jym Dyer

Default Clear Channel surrenders

=v= Sadly, not one of these really explains the right and
necessity to take the lane.
_Jym_
Old November 18th 03, 07:18 PM
Steven Goodridge

Jym Dyer wrote in message ...
=v= Sadly, not one of these really explains the right and
necessity to take the lane.
_Jym_

You'll note that the first five PSAs include endorsement by the NCDOT.
The last four do not. The reason is that they were written separately,
and NCDOT thought the last four were too assertive of cyclists' right
to claim a travel lane for their political comfort. They feared a
backlash from either the public or others within DOT and preferred to
use much more passive language that in my view watered down the
message too much.

I've been trying to get the DOT to go on record supporting the right
to use an entire lane when required, but they aren't comfortable doing
so even though the bike/ped division acknowledges this is often
important for safety.

Steve
Old November 24th 03, 02:13 PM
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Keith F. Lynch wrote:

All you really need to know about bicycling or motorcycling is, when
you go out on the road, assume everyone in a car or truck is trying
to kill you.

If I really assumed that, I'd give up bicycling. If any substantial
percentage of motorists really were sociopathic killers who wished to
kill all road cyclists, nobody would be able to bike a single mile on
the roads without being crippled or killed.

Not necessarily sociopathic killers, but stupid, inattentive, ill
trained, on auto-pilot, dealing with the kids fighting in the back,
answering their cell-phone...