Nerd cant mount !

Old December 22nd 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TimeTraveler

Default Nerd cant mount !

unicycletoday;1155170 wrote:

But a technique I used was the that is expressed in 'this video'
(http://www.unicycletoday.com/free-mount.html). It teaches you step by
step how get familiar with a freemount.

I'd seen that video before, but I just noticed that his cranks stay
horizontal. He's not pushing off with his ground foot. The video says to
apply pressure to the pedal your foot is on (as if you might apply
pressure to the pedal your foot isn't on)

How do you do that? My problem is when I get on, the pedals are in the
deadn position, and I have a hard time rolling from there.

David

--
TimeTraveler
Old December 22nd 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unigurd

my advice would be something like this: learn backroll mount first. I
did, and i thought that was what i did a long time into my unicycling,
but then i had to show mounts to a beginner, and i found out i had
learned the static mount. So the static mount comes by itself. See if
you can static/backroll mount while holding onto something, and start
riding away the moment you put y our second foot on the pedal.
Here's the most important: Have fun!

--
Unigurd

Old December 22nd 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

The whole secret with the Static mount and yes it is much easier than
the rolling mount is to push the unicycle at a 60 degree angle into the
ground. This acts as a counterforce to the weight that you put on the
rear pedal. To push the unicycle into the ground at that aformentioned
angle all you have to do is just keep as much weight as possible on the
saddle. They is is just as easy as going up a step.

Trying to learn while facing downhill makes it even easier and trying
to learn off of a curb or with a two by four behind the wheel makes it
even easier yet!

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!

'The Unicycling Commune' (http://tinyurl.com/3xkd8d)
Old December 22nd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scoope

Unicorn;1155403 wrote:

Trying to learn while facing downhill
Unicorn

+1 on that!

--
scoope
Old December 24th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1wheelwonder

Keep a positive mind, I remember when I was learning, I kept putting
myself down. You WILL be able to do it, but it takes time.

--
1wheelwonder

I got my new nimbus freestyle, and it's like learning to wheel walk all
over again!
Old December 24th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Geeta

McNerdius;1154485 wrote:
I've looked around on the forums for exercises i can use to break the
habit of putting my weight on my right foot when attempting static
mounts. :-/

How about this: Put something you really love (that is also somewhat
fragile, do you have an iphone?) on the floor. Then you put your right
foot on it (really lightly!) and pretend like it's your uni pedal. Then
step over with your left foot, not putting any weight on your precious
item.
Also, relax and keep working on it. Also, slightly downhill really is
much easier. Also, you will lose weight if you keep at it, good work!

--
Geeta
Old December 31st 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
McNerdius[_2_]

Ok so i did my first free mount today. Practice-wise, i've been
practicing to do static mounts. I've been doing little practice hops,
where i just do the first half of the mount. I can now keep the wheel
still during the first half, but whenever i go to move my second leg
forward the wheel begins to roll.

Rather than be discouraged, i figured i'd capitalize on the progress
i've made. I just said screw static mount, i'll just f*ing mount. It
worked. Part of what helped me pull this off was something i was doing
over at the tennis court. I don't remember why, but i would put myself
in the dead zone, and let go. And go. I got pretty decent at it, too.
Well, all i had to do today was to be able to hop up on the uni and get
my 2nd foot on the pedal, in the dead zone... and go. I'll have to get
some video of it, but i don't think this is a rollback mount. I'm
really just pulling the wheel under me, doing a small standstill, and
going. Yay. Whatever.

--
McNerdius

'progress-journal-bloggamajiggy' (mcnerdius.blogspot.com)

new uw mount? unicycle dave Unicycling 8 June 3rd 06 12:08 AM
smily mount/rolling jump mount Idea dan de man Unicycling 2 May 27th 06 01:25 PM
disc mount for non-disc mount frames Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 9 September 20th 04 03:56 AM
"I am a cycling nerd - and proud of it" davek UK 13 August 10th 04 09:18 PM
Reward for Return of "Nerd Bike" Henry Recumbent Biking 1 June 1st 04 09:14 AM