Raindrops keep falling on my head

Old May 28th 10, 07:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Raindrops keep falling on my head

On 28/05/2010 10:49 PM, Patrick Keogh wrote:
On 28/05/2010 6:44 PM, terryc wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2010 05:10:15 +1000, Geoff Lock wrote:

Carbide lamp, eh? Hmm, know where I can get lots of carbide? I promise
to use it only in a lamp, honest, I will

Welders and cavers.
What else did you have in mind?

When I was a kid I lived in the banana growing area of northern NSW.
Acetylene is used for controlled ripening of bananas, so some packing
sheds had calcium carbide to produce the acetylene. The typical packing
shed was a pretty flimsy thing made of corrugated iron and whatever
timber was handy, and was built perched on the slope up among the bananas.

One local made a small mistake with naked flame and the packing shed
(and stored packing cases) became so many matchsticks, and together
with the iron was spread over the local area.

No blood no foul. As for the nearby banana plants... think Tunguska.

An acetylene plus oxygen mixture can be rather... eeerr... spectacular
under the right conditions.
Old May 28th 10, 10:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 27 May 2010 06:10:20 GMT
20cents wrote:

And, what do you use for a light when you need to do some mechanical
work on the bike in the night?

small, light, very bright, and with me even if I don't have a bicycle
nearby....

Zebee
Old May 31st 10, 12:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
theo[_2_]

On May 28, 3:10*am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 27/05/2010 5:42 PM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 27/05/2010 4:02 PM, 20cents wrote:
In , Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

You could try a carbide lamp. A lump of calcium carbide and when the
water hits it you get acetylene. Ignite the acetylene where it passes out
of a small hole and you have a lamp. Reflector behind the flame.

Carbide lamp, eh? Hmm, know where I can get lots of carbide? I promise
to use it only in a lamp, honest, I will

Maybe a bit old fashioned...

Might be but still lots of fun to be had there

I remember bicycles with carbide lamps.... Dammit.

Theo
Old May 31st 10, 01:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

theo wrote:
On May 28, 3:10 am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 27/05/2010 5:42 PM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 27/05/2010 4:02 PM, 20cents wrote:
In , Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
You could try a carbide lamp. A lump of calcium carbide and when the
water hits it you get acetylene. Ignite the acetylene where it passes out
of a small hole and you have a lamp. Reflector behind the flame.

Carbide lamp, eh? Hmm, know where I can get lots of carbide? I promise
to use it only in a lamp, honest, I will

Maybe a bit old fashioned...

Might be but still lots of fun to be had there

I remember bicycles with carbide lamps.... Dammit.

With 28 inch wheels?
Old May 31st 10, 06:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 31/05/2010 9:08 PM, theo wrote:
On May 28, 3:10 am, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
On 27/05/2010 5:42 PM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock"glock@home wrote in message
On 27/05/2010 4:02 PM, 20cents wrote:
In , Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
You could try a carbide lamp. A lump of calcium carbide and when the
water hits it you get acetylene. Ignite the acetylene where it passes out
of a small hole and you have a lamp. Reflector behind the flame.

Carbide lamp, eh? Hmm, know where I can get lots of carbide? I promise
to use it only in a lamp, honest, I will

Maybe a bit old fashioned...

Might be but still lots of fun to be had there

I remember bicycles with carbide lamps.... Dammit.

Man, that was a long long time ago.
Old May 31st 10, 10:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

wrote:
You could try a carbide lamp. A lump of calcium carbide and when the
water hits it you get acetylene. Ignite the acetylene where it
passes out
of a small hole and you have a lamp. Reflector behind the flame.

Carbide lamp, eh? Hmm, know where I can get lots of carbide? I promise
to use it only in a lamp, honest, I will

Maybe a bit old fashioned...

Might be but still lots of fun to be had there

I remember bicycles with carbide lamps.... Dammit.

Man, that was a long long time ago.

Theo's even older than me!

Moike
Old June 1st 10, 08:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo[_2_]

On May 31, 8:39*pm, "Tomasso" wrote:
theo wrote:
On May 28, 3:10 am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 27/05/2010 5:42 PM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 27/05/2010 4:02 PM, 20cents wrote:
In , Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
You could try a carbide lamp. A lump of calcium carbide and when the
water hits it you get acetylene. Ignite the acetylene where it passes out
of a small hole and you have a lamp. Reflector behind the flame.

Carbide lamp, eh? Hmm, know where I can get lots of carbide? I promise
to use it only in a lamp, honest, I will

Maybe a bit old fashioned...

Might be but still lots of fun to be had there

I remember bicycles with carbide lamps.... Dammit.

With 28 inch wheels"?

There was another size?
I remember as a kid watching some tour go through our town (in
Holland). The competitors were wearing their spare spare tyres around
their shoulders. No wimpy team car with spare bikes then.

Theo
Old June 1st 10, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

theo wrote:
[...]

Well I was in KMart a couple of years ago and they were selling 28 inch tyres.

Bizarro. Theo anticipates KMart by 40 or 50 years!

BTW one of the old bikes on the farm when I grey up was a fixie that my father used to
ride...

De Ja Peddle.

Tomasso.

Anyone Falling For It? Nuxx Bar UK 0 February 22nd 09 11:12 PM
UK - Muni head to head race - feeler kington99 Unicycling 37 March 20th 07 01:58 PM
Spoke head washers... falling apart? Ron Ruff Techniques 9 December 30th 06 08:52 AM
Not falling over on ice innes Unicycling 8 January 1st 06 05:17 PM
SPDs and falling off! Keith Midgley UK 29 October 16th 05 07:57 PM