ACT Vets Hotdog, Dairy Flat Rd 7.11.2004

Old November 7th 04, 10:33 AM
aeek

Default ACT Vets Hotdog, Dairy Flat Rd 7.11.2004

hippy Wrote:

Was this a breakaway attempt before the prime or were you
sprinting against other riders for it? 150m+ is generally a
LONG way out to launch a sprint.

I only know it was 1km*2 cos the info said 1km, and it was definitel
500m.

All other distances are wild guesses. I'm an appalling numeriser o
distance. I know the start was much closer to the 180turn behind us.
Takes me a while to wind up, my spin is too low? but improving, peak
at 125 vs 100 about a year ago; my childhood was wasted grinding aroun
the Adelaide flat. For the moment, I think I need to go early an
fade/push through.

I shaved weight, drank my water and removed bidon/cage/pump/seatbag.

First time I've ridden in shoes for over 2 years. At least I didn't cu
my leg open on the pedal this time (at the start!

--
aeek

Old November 8th 04, 12:56 AM
hippy

"aeek"
Takes me a while to wind up, my spin is too low? but improving, peaks
at 125 vs 100 about a year ago; my childhood was wasted grinding around
the Adelaide flat. For the moment, I think I need to go early and
fade/push through.

Better to go early than too late.. at least you 'might' hold
them off. Even better is to go at the 'right' time, ie. get the
jump on the field AND have full power over the line.
Maybe you should try gearing down a bit. You might feel
unco when you start spinning faster and you will probably
wear yourself out a bit quicker, but the more you do it, the
faster you can spin and the longer you can spin for..
Glenvale crits for me seem to average 110rpm and sprints
might wind out to 150? Depends if I think I've got room
for a gear change or not I guess..
If you are warmed up, try spinning as fast as you possibly
can, whilst keeping your hips stable. Down steep hills is a good
spot to do this. HCLR - high cadence, low resistance. Pick
an easy gear, spin as fast as possible and keep your upper
body still.

I shaved weight, drank my water and removed bidon/cage/pump/seatbag.

You want to remove anything from the bike that is not needed
during the race (toolkit, pump, etc.). But, leave your bottles on
the bike. It's more aerodynamic. Also, even though you don't
really need to drink in most crits, I prefer to keep some fluid
there just to get rid of that parched mouth. Grab a sip if there's
a break in the pace.

First time I've ridden in shoes for over 2 years. At least I didn't cut
my leg open on the pedal this time (at the start!)

You don't race in sandals do you? They are likely to be
knocked back if someone spots them.

hippy