Regular TLC for your ride

Old February 20th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Regular TLC for your ride

My bike was busy last year, and miles and crashes have taken their toll.
I've been buying parts over the past few months in preparation for a
little TLC, the bike deserves it.
I'll replace the rear derailleur and hanger, chain, brake levers, handle
bars, stem and grips. The bars and stem are 6-7 years old, I was
probably just being foolish.

Do others have a similar early season routine for their rides.
--

Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
Old February 20th 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Craig Brossman wrote:
My bike was busy last year, and miles and crashes have taken their toll.
I've been buying parts over the past few months in preparation for a
little TLC, the bike deserves it.
I'll replace the rear derailleur and hanger, chain, brake levers, handle
bars, stem and grips. The bars and stem are 6-7 years old, I was
probably just being foolish.

Do others have a similar early season routine for their rides.

Just new cables, housings, cassette, chain, and rings. Usually every
two years, although the extra sand riding I've been doing this year has
taken it's toll.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 20th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Craig Brossman wrote:
My bike was busy last year, and miles and crashes have taken their toll.
I've been buying parts over the past few months in preparation for a
little TLC, the bike deserves it.
I'll replace the rear derailleur and hanger, chain, brake levers, handle
bars, stem and grips. The bars and stem are 6-7 years old, I was
probably just being foolish.

Do others have a similar early season routine for their rides.
--

Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

I don't think a month goes by where I'm not replacing some part on my
bike. This month it's tyres, they're only 6 months old, but I've a 2cm
split in the rear and the front is loosing it's edge. Next month I'm
going have a close look at the chain to see if it's showing signs of
wear. Grips never to last more than 6 months. I must go through one
inner tube a month and yes I repair them if I can. Pads for the discs
are another regular replacement item.

I remember I left repair and replacements slide on an old bike some
years bike. It turned out cheaper just to buy a new bike than replace
all the worn out parts. Forks had gone, hubs knackered, all chain ring
teeth looked like a shark's fin and the rims hadn't been true in years.

I try and stay on top of maintainence these days, spread the cost over
the year.

Laters,

Marz

Old February 20th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Craig Brossman" wrote in message
news:goKdnTLC04wcemTenZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@brainstormin ternet.net...
My bike was busy last year, and miles and crashes have taken their toll.
I've been buying parts over the past few months in preparation for a
little TLC, the bike deserves it.
I'll replace the rear derailleur and hanger, chain, brake levers, handle
bars, stem and grips. The bars and stem are 6-7 years old, I was probably
just being foolish.

Do others have a similar early season routine for their rides.
--

Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

I don't replace it until it breaks. This drives my riding buddies crazy as
they are always fixing something and I seemingly never do. I've got four
years on my rear Fox Float shock w/o touching it other than to add a little
air once or twice a year. I've only replaced the shift cable, brake pads,
chain and drive gears once due to wear. Replaced the deraileur twice due to
ripping the damn thing off and replaced the seat once because it broke as
well.

Gary (maybe I'm not riding enough....)

Old February 20th 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Marz wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, I still have regular maintenance for the parts that break
during the "season". I just use this time of year to catch up on the
other items which are in disrepair and probably next on the list to break.

Old February 20th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:

I don't replace it until it breaks. This drives my riding buddies crazy
as they are always fixing something and I seemingly never do. I've got
four years on my rear Fox Float shock w/o touching it other than to add
a little air once or twice a year. I've only replaced the shift cable,
brake pads, chain and drive gears once due to wear. Replaced the
deraileur twice due to ripping the damn thing off and replaced the seat
once because it broke as well.

Gary (maybe I'm not riding enough....)

I simply can't keep up during the season I guess. Nothing that I am
swapping out is actually broke, but the brake levers are bent, the
derailleur and hanger are beaten up, it seems that I could always use a
new chain, and I am concerned about bar and stem, considering how many
crashes they have seen over the years.
Surprisingly, the cables and housing are in good shape, and muddier
rides are ahead, so I think I will wait to replace those.

This has been the furthest I've ever gotten behind on maintenance, BUT,
I've ridden more in 2005 than anytime before, so I guess it was all
worth it!

Old February 21st 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

I've found that almost every time I ride I have to adjust something and
every few rides I replace something. All the tension in my rear spokes
disapeared in 15-20 hrs. I have taken it in to see if there is a
problem.

Old February 21st 06, 12:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On 2006-02-20, GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

Drives my riding mates crazy that I spend as much time
as I do on maintainance. But then my bikes run nearly silently
(apart from the rider panting) and bits wear out/ fail less often
for cleaning & looking after them
--
Tim.