Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

Old July 22nd 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SkierAlex

Default Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

wheres_your_other_wheel wrote:
Just got a new CF base and have a few questions:

1.Ive drilled the holes and i think ive got some micro splinters
should i be worried?

2.I heard when you file down cf its a good idea to wet it
for the dust?

I think I got some too but I'm still alive

BTW A CF base is 200-300g lighter than a standard one.

--
SkierAlex

You've highlighted my sig'.' (http://tinyurl.com/5kbxhv)
Old September 15th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tmoyer

Can anyone comment on the shape of the Wallis base compared to the UDC
one that's supposed to be a replacement for KH saddles?

I broke my KH street saddle, which I liked. I'd get a Wallis base if
it's close to the same shape. But I don't want to lay out that kind of
money and end up with something really wide or really curved.

--
tmoyer

')--360unispin08--O'
(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwf_TA17xo)
Old September 15th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tmoyer

ok - just went back through the rest of the thread again. Sounds like
the Wallis base is wider, deeper and less curved than the KH base.

Anyone that's tried both have more to say on comparing them?

Old September 15th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Actually the Wallis cf base is slightly narrower than the Gemcrest, and
definitely flatter (a good thing!).

--
unisk8r
Old September 15th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
beeper

I should be getting my Base this week. 160 from darren for the hardware,
and drilling. Smart on his behalf, cause unicycle .com doesn't supply
the drilling or hardware, but 120 for the standard base is kinda a rip
off. But its very smart business on his behalf.

--
beeper

)-90'-UNISPIN-O

'SixSixOne' (SixSixOne.com)
Old September 15th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Conrad.Nguyen

beeper wrote:
I should be getting my Base this week. 160 from darren for the hardware,
and drilling. Smart on his behalf, cause unicycle .com doesn't supply
the drilling or hardware, but 120 for the standard base is kinda a rip
off. But its very smart business on his behalf.

Conrad.Nguyen wrote:
Just got a price quote from Darren for a carbon fiber base drilled by
him with hardware included: $160. I know it's a lot of work drilling a
CF base, but really, $160? For $10 more I could get a Wallis base
(which I plan to do now).

http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html

--
Conrad.Nguyen
Old September 16th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
beeper

Not quite sure why you did that, Conrad.

I was just proving that I have the same view regarding bedford's base
as him.

I read that post, I was just stating that it happened to me too.

--
beeper

)-90'-UNISPIN-O

'SixSixOne' (SixSixOne.com)
Old September 16th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Conrad.Nguyen

I'm not saying that he tried to rip me off or that he changes his prices
for different people, I'm just saying that if you are going to be
spending near the same amount of money, why don't you go for (arguably)
the best?

--
Conrad.Nguyen
Old September 16th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tmoyer

unisk8r wrote:
Actually the Wallis cf base is slightly narrower than the Gemcrest, and
definitely flatter (a good thing!).

So which is it? Narrower or wider than KH/Velo?

Flatter does match up with what Scott himself said in this thread, so
that makes sense.

foforackard wrote:
i love my cf base from Scott. the only downside to it is it made my seat
a lot wider, making it harder to do unispins.

Spencer Hochberg wrote:
Oh yeah, I don't like how wide it gets when you put KH foam on so I just
use the top of the foam without the sides.

Old September 16th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Gemcrest was based on a Miyata base I believe, but Wallis is about the
same or maybe at most just a couple mm wider in the center than a KH
(which is the narrowest center section).

--
unisk8r