Bike sheds

Old August 29th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

Default Bike sheds

Hello fellow cyclists,

I'm a trike rider, and my trike takes up a lot of space in my gararge.

I'd like to build a secure space to store it... Maybe some sort of
backyard bike shed.

I know that this isn't an original idea, and somebody, somewhere, has
done it before. Do you guys have any advice?

Cullen
p.s. I like the idea of a bicycle-garage...
Old August 29th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Aug 29, 7:47*am, " wrote:
Hello fellow cyclists,

I'm a trike rider, and my trike takes up a lot of space in my gararge.

I'd like to build a secure space to store it... Maybe some sort of
backyard bike shed.

I know that this isn't an original idea, and somebody, somewhere, has
done it before. Do you guys have any advice?

It is blindingly easy, if you've ever driven a nail, and can
"source" scrap lumber easily. The trick lies in keeping
the raccoons from seeing it as theirs as well. A shed
lying exposed is, to thieves, like an epileptic mouse to
a cat. Before you store anything in the shed, let weeds
grow up around it and make sure the paint is flaking.
Good sense would dictate that a couple of broken toys
be left nearby to suggest dereliction.

15'x10' is a good size with a tiny loft and a cot (and a
pot-bellied stove) so when the wife gets cheesed you
have somewhere to sleep. This could decrease theft,
especially if you own a gun.

It should be blue.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ESHED-PAINTING
http://tinyurl.com/vpaz
Old August 30th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
daytoncapri

I got a 10 x 12 backyard PVC shed kit from Pep Boys a few years ago. Set on
a slope so I built a wooden ramp to it. The kit include a translucent top
panel to allow light in - which is good. All told it cost me approximately
$1K - $800 for the kit, $200 to construct a floor and ramp - I scarfed up
old concrete blocks from a nearby dumpsite to save a few bucks. . It mainly
holds my riding mower and three bicycles plus a short list of large things.
My fourth bike (which is carbon-fibre) has a separate shrine in my
basement. The shed works pretty well - try not to let a tree fall on top of
it - as had happened to mine. Try not to drop a wall panel vertically on
top of your index finger as your put it together either - that one took a
awhile to recover from.

A raccon took up residence underneath - thrilled my dogs to no end. No
raccoon now.

I agree with the sentiment that it should look derelict. I'll never spray
clean the thing on the outside - it's pretty dull and uninteresting to look
at after a few years of weathering.

Color: It should be Taup.

Old August 31st 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 29, 8:47*am, " wrote:
Hello fellow cyclists,

I'm a trike rider, and my trike takes up a lot of space in my gararge.

I'd like to build a secure space to store it... Maybe some sort of
backyard bike shed.

I know that this isn't an original idea, and somebody, somewhere, has
done it before. Do you guys have any advice?

Cullen
p.s. I like the idea of a bicycle-garage...

Here's the one I put up:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Rubbe...t_139710729860

It comes with a floor which is a _major_ benefit. I put it up by
myself which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it went OK.

Old August 31st 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

Here's the one I put up:http://www.epinions.com/review/Rubbe...content_139710...

It comes with a floor which is a _major_ benefit. *I put it up by
myself which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it went OK.

I like your veloshed. It seems reasonably priced. Do you feel that
your bikes are pretty secure?

What kind of lock do you use? And, what kind of bikes do you keep in
there?

Cullen

Old September 1st 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_14_]

Here's the one I put up:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Rubbe...t_139710729860

It comes with a floor which is a _major_ benefit. I put it up by
myself which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it went OK.

How long will its plastic last before ultra-violet radiation breaks it
down---like it does all plastic?

Pat in TX

Old September 1st 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat ? wrote:
Here's the one I put up:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Rubbe...t_139710729860

It comes with a floor which is a _major_ benefit. I put it up by
myself which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it went OK.

How long will its plastic last before ultra-violet radiation breaks it
down---like it does all plastic?

Probably more time than it would take a wood shed to rot or a sheet
metal shed to rust.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old September 1st 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 31, 10:27*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat wrote:

How long will its plastic last before ultra-violet radiation breaks it
down---like it does all plastic?

Probably more time than it would take a wood shed to rot or a sheet
metal shed to rust.

And it took less time to put together. It's been up for a couple of
years and looks new, so as a WAG, 10-15 years.

Old September 1st 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

RicodJour ? wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:27 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat wrote:

How long will its plastic last before ultra-violet radiation breaks it
down---like it does all plastic?

Probably more time than it would take a wood shed to rot or a sheet
metal shed to rust.

And it took less time to put together. It's been up for a couple of
years and looks new, so as a WAG, 10-15 years.

One hopes that the manufacturer used proper ultraviolet inhibitors in
the resin. If these inhibitors did not exist, aircraft with composite
parts [1] and (more importantly) CFRP bicycles would be falling apart
all over the place.

[1] Especially those that operate at high altitudes and therefore
receive much more high frequency solar radiation.

School bike sheds Danny Colyer UK 33 February 19th 07 07:37 PM
bike sheds at train stations Marx SS Australia 1 August 25th 06 03:08 AM
Child Banned from Bike Sheds John B UK 11 July 16th 06 09:49 AM
Insuring bikes in sheds John UK 4 June 5th 06 07:06 PM
Lockable bike sheds a l l y UK 10 July 17th 05 12:08 PM