Mysterious noises from my bike.

Old June 9th 10, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Mysterious noises from my bike.

I have been having this strange clicking noise when my bike is rolling.
It is there even if I am not pedalling.

I have been trying to figure out where it is coming from but it comes
and goes. I always thought it had something to do with the old Suntour
6-speed gear cluster (well, it sounded like the noise came from the rear
and the Suntour gears seemed a likely culprit plus it would give me an
excuse to get a 7 or 8 speed

I found by chance yesterday (actually I was pretending to be Lance
Armsrong by standing up on my pedals and "powering" up the "Col de la
Colombiere" aka a ****y gentle hill , anyway, I found out by chance
that if I applied load to the front wheel by leaning on the handle bars,
the noise went away. This suggests that my front wheel axle and bearings
are buggered.

I picked up a front assembly kit from Johnno and this weekend is gonna
be a bit busy for me. The kit consists of the axle, the bearings and the
thingymebob where the spokes go thru. Yes, for those who are worried
about my use of highly technical terms, the thingymebob for the front
wheel is the bit which has lotsa holes where the spokes are threaded
thru.

Now where were those articles about funky spoke patterns?
Old June 9th 10, 06:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Steve Ball[_3_]

Geoff Lock:

[...]

This should give you more than you'll ever want to know:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
--
Steve = : ^ )

Old June 9th 10, 07:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 9/06/2010 3:35 PM, Steve Ball wrote:
Geoff Lock:

Now where were those articles about funky spoke patterns?

This should give you more than you'll ever want to know:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

A dish stick - so that's what it is called, eh! I saw one for the first
time yesterday at Johnno's being used to check the wheel whilst being
trued. I still don't really know how a dish stick would help in truing a
wheel even though Johnno tried to explain it to me but probably if I had
a closer look or used one, I might get a better idea. I notice also that
Sheldon Brown also explains it's use as well so I might have a closer
read of that bit as well.

I usually do my truing on the bike because I don't really know how to do
it properly with the wheel off. Not having a truing wheel and a dish
stick doesn't help either. *Sigh* more tools to get.
Old June 9th 10, 07:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

On 9/06/2010 4:10 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
[...]

For front wheels it is OK to build them on the bike. Turn it upside down
and the front forks becomes a truing stand. You don't need to worry too
much about dishing since for front wheels they are symmetric. You can
use the brakes as a reference point to ensure that you are building it
"round" and you can reverse the wheel in the forks to ensure that it is
symmetric. Not as convenient as the purpose-built tool, but it will work
fine.
Old June 9th 10, 08:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message ...
[...]

Don't do it. It won't work.

Untension and rebuild an old wheel, and you are a wheel failure waiting to happen.

When you least expect it.

At the worst moments.

T.
Old June 9th 10, 11:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble[_3_]

Tomasso wrote:

Don't do it. It won't work.

Untension and rebuild an old wheel, and you are a wheel failure waiting to

happen.

When you least expect it.

At the worst moments.

He's right you know. I've lost count of the number of times one of my
rebuilt 2nd hand wheels has failed on me and resulted in my untimely death.

BTH

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Old June 9th 10, 11:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

BT Humble wrote:
Tomasso wrote:
Don't do it. It won't work.

Untension and rebuild an old wheel, and you are a wheel failure waiting to

happen.
When you least expect it.

At the worst moments.

He's right you know. I've lost count of the number of times one of my
rebuilt 2nd hand wheels has failed on me and resulted in my untimely death.

BTH

I've only been killed by seven of them.

(and I would have tried just servicing the bearing and maybe replacing
the ballbearings before I bothered relacing the wheel. (Or maybe just
grabbed another wheel off the stack in the corner) but that's the way I
am.. a bodger from way back.

Moike

The mysterious case of the missing bike lanes/paths N8N Techniques 0 September 15th 09 08:46 PM
mysterious J Busset racing bike with Huret, CLP and Vitus 971 pstock General 2 May 27th 07 11:34 PM
My bike makes clicking noises BeeRich Techniques 21 May 16th 07 12:05 AM
Mysterious Flats hemyd Australia 29 January 18th 05 11:25 AM
BIKE NOISES your pet peeve and how did you get ride of it Polly Techniques 33 September 3rd 04 06:37 PM