Pedal Spanner

Old May 14th 16, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Default Pedal Spanner

Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not budging.
I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

--
Cheers, Rob
Old May 14th 16, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Any recommendations please?

Where the pedal screws into the crank arms?

Threads are reversed on one side, I never can remember.

Try torquing clockwise or, on the other side, counterclockwise.

If counterclockwise works on one side clockwise works on the other.

WARNING: Be gentle with Al alloy.
Old May 14th 16, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 14.05.2016 17:55, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not budging.
I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

Looks like a good tool. Plenty of leverage, and not too wide.
NB the LEFT pedal (when facing forwards on the bike) has a LEFT-handed
thread. (turning anticlockwise tightens it) RIGHT pedal RIGHT-handed.
Old May 14th 16, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 14/05/2016 07:12, Bret Cahill wrote:
Any recommendations please?

Where the pedal screws into the crank arms?

Yep - I've taken the crank off, and it's down to the spindle with 15mm
flats.

Threads are reversed on one side, I never can remember.

Yes, twigged that!

Try torquing clockwise or, on the other side, counterclockwise.

If counterclockwise works on one side clockwise works on the other.

WARNING: Be gentle with Al alloy.

On another group they suggested heating the area, on the basis alloy
expands more than steel.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old May 14th 16, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 14/05/2016 09:47, Peter Keller wrote:
On 14.05.2016 17:55, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not budging.
I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

Looks like a good tool. Plenty of leverage, and not too wide.
NB the LEFT pedal (when facing forwards on the bike) has a LEFT-handed
thread. (turning anticlockwise tightens it) RIGHT pedal RIGHT-handed.

Yep, thanks. It has to be one of the most counter-intuitive things -
doing up to undo (it's the LH pedal).

--
Cheers, Rob
Old May 14th 16, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 14/05/16 07:55, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not budging.
I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

I have one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-P.../dp/B000W78V8E

And when I wave it at a pedal it unscrews itself :-)

Old May 14th 16, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 14 May 2016 13:56:37 UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
On 14/05/16 07:55, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not budging..
I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

I have one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-P.../dp/B000W78V8E

And when I wave it at a pedal it unscrews itself :-)

I bent two of those, gave up and sent it to LBS who could not get pedal off either. So they are still there.
Old May 14th 16, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 14 May 2016 06:55:19 +0100
RJH wrote:

Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not
budging. I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

A good pedal spanner is a useful tool, but you might also try stripping
the pedal so you can grip the spindle with a vice or pipe wrench. Also
application of heat and penetrating lubricant can be effective - you
may find that brute force damages the alloy thread, while heat can
release it sufficiently to reduce/prevent this.
And double check that you're turning in the right direction, each
time you try. If the crank is on the bike, put the relevant pedal
forward, with the spanner lying back along the crank, and push down to
loosen.

Old May 14th 16, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 14 May 2016 14:56:35 +0200
Tosspot wrote:

On 14/05/16 07:55, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not
budging. I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

I have one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-P.../dp/B000W78V8E

And when I wave it at a pedal it unscrews itself :-)

I have one of these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281669409992

And when I wave it at a pedal ...

Old May 14th 16, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 14/05/2016 06:55, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations please? This pedal is *very* tight, and not budging.
I've thought about the Park PW4 (£30) or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Professional-Big-Hand-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Pedal-Spanner-wrench-tool-15-mm-UK-/111333228408?hash=item19ebfa3f78:g:gggAAOSwBLlU5nm 9

OR

http://tinyurl.com/j85p45y

(links supplied by kind folk at u.r.c.maintenance)

I did try to remove the pedals off my old bike (maybe 6 years old)
before I threw it away. In the end I just gave up. I have removed pedals
from newer bikes but these ones appeared to have become totally seized on.

Not very helpful I know but at least it lets you know you are not the
only one who has had trouble.