Off to Norwich...

Old August 27th 04, 09:40 PM
Succorso

Default Off to Norwich...

Just a shopping run tomorrow, but the 80+km round trip to Norwich will
push me past 850km for the month - my best ever by a long way. Given
that this is in what could be the wettest August ever, the fact that
I've only had one soaking all month, I think that's pretty good going.

However, all this Kilometerage is taking its toll on the bike (Dawes
Sonoran). I've noticed on the last couple of rides, some sort of slack -
or free-play, in the drive. It "feels" like it's from the front -
Pedals, Cranks, bottom bracket - rather than the back. Also, there is
the occasional "clunk" from somewhere in the transmission.
What would be the most likely culprit? There doesn't seem to be any
apparent wear in the chain/cassette.

Perhaps I should just put the bike in for a service at the LBS...

--
Chris
Old August 27th 04, 09:54 PM
vernon levy

Just a shopping run tomorrow, but the 80+km round trip to Norwich will
push me past 850km for the month - my best ever by a long way. Given
that this is in what could be the wettest August ever, the fact that
I've only had one soaking all month, I think that's pretty good going.

I've got 800 miles in for the month including a 1/2 LEJOG; Land's End to
Leeds. I too have had only one soaking for the month and in an 11 day spell,
only spent around 12 hours indoors. My friends and colleagues find it hard
to believe that I have avoided all of the bad weather and are gobsmacked
when they see my suntan.

It "feels" like it's from the front -
Pedals, Cranks, bottom bracket - rather than the back. Also, there is
the occasional "clunk" from somewhere in the transmission.
What would be the most likely culprit? There doesn't seem to be any
apparent wear in the chain/cassette.

As always, it's difficult to diagnose a problem from a vague written
discription. Does the clunk occur when the crank is in one particular
position? If so it could mean that the crank(s) is/are working loose on
their taper(s)

The only thing that I have had to do with my Galaxy is adjust the brakes as
they had a difficult job to do restraining me and a fully laden touring bike
on some of the descents in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Derbyshire..

Perhaps I should just put the bike in for a service at the LBS...

If your mechanical skils aren't up to attempting to service your bike then a
service by the LBS is in order. You can ask them to identify what the
problems were after the service.

Old August 27th 04, 10:11 PM
Succorso

vernon levy wrote:

As always, it's difficult to diagnose a problem from a vague written
discription. Does the clunk occur when the crank is in one particular
position? If so it could mean that the crank(s) is/are working loose on
their taper(s)

No, it happens randomly. I cannot really describe it - I expect you've
had the same - the bike just doesn't feel *right*, but when you try and
describe it... words don't really work. It just feels like power isn't
fully connected to the back wheels 100% of the time.

If your mechanical skils aren't up to attempting to service your bike then a
service by the LBS is in order. You can ask them to identify what the
problems were after the service.

Hmm... I am to mechanics what Julie Andrews is to "Deep Throat", so I'll
choose the LBS

--
Chris

Old August 28th 04, 07:17 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Perhaps I should just put the bike in for a service at the LBS...

Just make sure that the LBS is Specialized Cycles in Connaught Road in Norwich
:-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $