Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

Old September 19th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

On 19/09/2018 14:50, TMS320 wrote:

On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:
On 18/09/2018 16:42, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

The problem seems to be with some car drivers that are waiting to
pull out from side roads, is they are only looking for vehicles.
Anything smaller doesn't seem to be on their radar.

Without knowing how you ride or where you ride it is difficult to
offer advice but there might still be something you could do to help
make yourself look bigger.

Yes - pink hi-viz.

Wrong. And not for aesthetic reasons.

What is your reasoning?

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the authorities. And
give them a better explanation than you're about to post here.
Old September 19th 18, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

The problem seems to be with some car drivers that are
waiting to pull out from side roads, is they are only looking
for vehicles. Anything smaller doesn't seem to be on their
radar.

Without knowing how you ride or where you ride it is difficult
to offer advice but there might still be something you could do
to help make yourself look bigger.

Yes - pink hi-viz.

Wrong. And not for aesthetic reasons.

What is your reasoning?

I gave it in an earlier post.

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the authorities.
And give them a better explanation than you're about to post here.

Depends on what they hoped to achieve with it and on whether they have
actually achieved it. I have no idea what the original reasoning was,
other than that the culture of putting hi-viz on everything and fairy
lights on vehicles has become indistinguishable from religion.
Old October 18th 18, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

The problem seems to be with some car drivers that are
waiting to pull out from side roads, is they are only looking
for vehicles. Anything smaller doesn't seem to be on their
radar.

Without knowing how you ride or where you ride it is difficult
to offer advice but there might still be something you could do
to help make yourself look bigger.

Yes - pink hi-viz.

Wrong. And not for aesthetic reasons.

What is your reasoning?

I gave it in an earlier post.

Did you?

Does hi-viz not work?Â* If not, you'd better tell the authorities.
And give them a better explanation than you're about to post here.

Depends on what they hoped to achieve with it and on whether they have
actually achieved it.

Yes - that was the sort of "explanation" I was expecting.

And who is to be the judge of those things?

I have no idea what the original reasoning was,

You won't admit it, at any rate.

other than that the culture of putting hi-viz on everything and fairy
lights on vehicles has become indistinguishable from religion.

Whatever such "culture" you refer to is a figment of your imagination.
There is no UK road traffic law requiring any road-user to wear hi-viz
(though there is, in some continental jurisdictions, a requirement to
have it available, which is why the items can be found in the glove
compartments of hire-cars).

But perhaps that ought to change.

Old October 18th 18, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

[...]

Â* other than that the culture of putting hi-viz on everything and fairy
lights on vehicles has become indistinguishable from religion.

Whatever such "culture" you refer to is a figment of your imagination.
There is no UK road traffic law requiring any road-user to wear hi-viz
(though there is, in some continental jurisdictions, a requirement to
have it available, which is why the items can be found in the glove
compartments of hire-cars).

But perhaps that ought to change.

I think it's in France that you have to have the high viz jackets

visible in the car. If I remember correctly from driving over there many
moons ago.

--
Bod
Old October 18th 18, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 6:37:56 PM UTC+1, Bod wrote:

I think it's in France that you have to have the high viz jackets

visible in the car. If I remember correctly from driving over there many
moons ago.

I drove there in 2016 and you just have to have enough jackets in the car for the same number of people in it. You don't have to have 5 jackets visible or anything.

Old October 18th 18, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

[...]

Â*Â* other than that the culture of putting hi-viz on everything and fairy
lights on vehicles has become indistinguishable from religion.

Whatever such "culture" you refer to is a figment of your imagination.
There is no UK road traffic law requiring any road-user to wear hi-viz
(though there is, in some continental jurisdictions, a requirement to
have it available, which is why the items can be found in the glove
compartments of hire-cars).

But perhaps that ought to change.

I think it's in France that you have to have the high viz jackets

visible in the car. If I remember correctly from driving over there many
moons ago.

Italy and Switzerland too (at least, they are supplied with a rental car
in those countries).
Old October 18th 18, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

[...]

Statistics on what?

The proportion of cyclists who are fashion victims?