6 speed indexed freewheel to cassette

Old November 1st 04, 01:43 AM
meb

Default 6 speed indexed freewheel to cassette

Jeff Wills Wrote:
meb wrote in message
I?ve a bike with 6 speed freewheel and indexed downtube shifters I?d
like to do some ratio customizing on. Could grab another rear wheel
for quick swapout as an alternative to going to 7 speed shifters.

Considering with a freehub: obtaining a 6 speed cassette, and mixing

7
speed cassette sprockets with the 6 speed spacers.

I assume you're going to get a 6-speed cassette *hub*.

Will that fit properly on the hub?

Sort of. If the 7-speed sprockets are hyperglide, and the hub is the
the older Uniglide style, you'll have to grind down the one wide
spline on the Hyperlide sprockets.

Will it index properly?

Yes. Indexing depends on the spacing between sprockets. Since the
sprockets are the same thickness, only the spacers are different.

Will the wider spacers effect Hyperglide timing any place I use
adjacent sprockets from the same original cassette?

No, as long as you keep the Hyperglide register marks lined up. In my
experience, mixing and matching Hyperglide cogs is not that big of an
issue anyway.

Not sure if I?d ever use it, but if I ever have cause to select an

11T
sprocket from a Hyperglide-C hub, can an 11T sprocket work with a 6
speed cassette-hub?

Probably not. The 11-tooth sprocket fits on a relieved area at the end
of the cassette body. A 6-speed cassette body will not have this,
since it predates Hyperglide and Hyperglide-C.

There were some 11-tooth sprockets that threaded on, but they and the
matching cassette body were Dura-Ace *only*, came out in the early
'80's, and are as rare as pork lips.

Jeff

Jeff wills wrote: "I assume you're going to get a 6-speed cassette
*hub*."

Actually I had intended to use a 7 speed freehub which I have
(possiblycurrently
owned 7 speed
cassettes or newly acquired ones. I have no 6 speed
freehub/cassettes at present. The 6 speed cassette is what I'd need
aquire. The six speed items I currently own are all freewheel.

Jeff willls wrote: "... The 11-tooth sprocket fits on a relieved area
at the end
of the cassette body. A 6-speed cassette body will not have this,
since it predates Hyperglide and Hyperglide-C."

Would use a seven speed 11T on an a Hyperglide - hub. So it should
have more to do with whether the carrier length of 6 vs. 7 are
identical and whether the small sprocket on 6 speed hubs have the same
length built in spacer as on 7 speed small sprockets.

--
meb

Old November 2nd 04, 12:43 AM
Jeff Wills

meb wrote in message ...
Jeff willls wrote: "... The 11-tooth sprocket fits on a relieved area
at the end
of the cassette body. A 6-speed cassette body will not have this,
since it predates Hyperglide and Hyperglide-C."

Would use a seven speed 11T on an a Hyperglide - hub. So it should
have more to do with whether the carrier length of 6 vs. 7 are
identical and whether the small sprocket on 6 speed hubs have the same
length built in spacer as on 7 speed small sprockets.

Hmmm... no and no. 7-speed sprockets with the built-in spacer are
thinner than similar 6-speed sprockets, and 6-speed small sprockets
were (I *think*) threaded Uniglide. The cassette body for 7-speed is
longer than 6-speed.

I think I see where you're going with this, though. It could be made
to work if you arrange the sprockets like this (on a 7-speed
Hyperglide-C cassette body)

7-speed 11-tooth sprocket
6-speed sprocket with built-in spacer (maybe... depends on tooth
count)
Hyperglide cog
6-speed spacer
Hyperglide cog
6-speed spacer
Hyperglide cog
6-speed spacer
Hyperglide cog
spacer to fill up the rest of the space on the body.

The last jump should work- most chains nowadays are narrow enough to
work with both 6- and 7-speed spacing. It's the damndest kitbash I've
ever seen, though.

Jeff