Getting annoyed

Old November 28th 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Getting annoyed

HELP I feel like i am in a rut...

ok i have unicycled bout 2 months properly. http://tinyurl.com/cl86m I
have a vid so here it is but... i am not so good. (any comments on the
vid will be much appreciated)

The reason why i post is because i feel i skipped some important stuff
mostly being able to idle i still cant do it. although i cant idle it
is not like i am bad (cough) well ok not great but i can do jumps, ride
seat out in front and behind, do a wrap around (leg around the seat),
seat drop (kind of) and crank grab to rubber...

does idling improve stillstands and overall balance alot??

is there any advice on idling or riding backwards (i am going to the
ashburtan uni meet uk)

cheers mike

P.S sorry for the slightly boring thread

--
swarbrim
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

Old November 28th 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I learnt to idle fairly early on, but I can't remember the last time I
tried it. I've probably forgotten how! I just haven't had the need; a
standstill with little corrective hops is less effort, takes less room,
is far more controlled, quicker to get out of, the list goes on. Right
now I can't actually think of one advantage of idling over
stillstanding.

If you really want to learn for the sake of it then keep trying, but I
would just leave it for now. If you have the urge in the future you can
always come back to it, but don't let it spoil your enjoyment of riding
and learning other skills.

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old November 28th 05, 07:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

phil wrote:
I learnt to idle fairly early on, but I can't remember the last time I
tried it. I've probably forgotten how! I just haven't had the need; a
standstill with little corrective hops is less effort, takes less room,
is far more controlled, quicker to get out of, the list goes on. Right
now I can't actually think of one advantage of idling over
stillstanding.

Both hands are free... thats it as far as I know. Good for hockey since
you can have both hand on the stick. Plus on things like giraffes
stillstand/corrective hopping isn't really an option.

Idling is overrated as a skill, most competent uni riders are only just
about ok at it, I'm not all that good. As Phil rightly says, there's
easier, more compact, and more efficient ways of achieving the same
result.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old November 28th 05, 07:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

2 months? You're looking fine on one wheel for 2 months. I wouldn't
sweat missing a few elements in your routine right now!

Thanks for sharing.

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old November 28th 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The reason i am pondering learning the idle is because i think it might
give me an edge on balance.

I am also wondering what other tricks i should practice any tips?

Mike

Old November 28th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I reckon you only posted to brag about how good you are after only two
months

I can just about idle now after almost two years - took me ages to get
it half decent on my 20". I still can't really idle the 26" for more
than a few repetitions. I seem to be pretty slow at picking up new
skills (I still can't ride backwards more than a couple of revs - too
chicken - and I'm getting quite annoyed about not being able to hop
up things, seems to be something I just can't get right at the moment
). But I really enjoy riding the unicycle and I'm actually quite
respectable cross-country.

So don't worry - you're really doing much better than a lot of us!

Rob

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Old November 28th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I agree with rob.northcott about the bragging about how much you've
learned in 2 months.

After nearly a year, I can actually idle. But only because it's the
thing that I've practiced since I learned to ride. I wanted to be able
to idle and juggle. Also I wanted to be able to dance at BUC. I can
even idle with my 'other' foot. And I'm getting there with the
backwards riding.

But I can only hop up 7cm and drop down the curb. I can't do any other
'tricks', but I can ride my 29er off into the sunset.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old November 28th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

phil wrote:
I learnt to idle fairly early on, but I can't remember the last time I
tried it. I've probably forgotten how! I just haven't had the need; a
standstill with little corrective hops is less effort, takes less room,
is far more controlled, quicker to get out of, the list goes on. Right
now I can't actually think of one advantage of idling over
stillstanding.

Phil

For me it is like this:

a standstill with little corrective hops takes more effort, takes more
room, is less controlled than idling

idling is also a good way to learn backwards riding

--
goldenchicken
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

Old November 28th 05, 08:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

just give it some time men... all the good riders have been riding for
more then 2 months and I dont think iddling is that important.. I
barelly ever do it evne tho I can do it.. learn funner stuff .. unispin
crankflips...

--
maxisback
maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

Old November 28th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Idling is over rated.
Just ride and practise other more fun stuff for a while, and idling
will come to you automaticly.

--
fexnix

'*My fresh gallery*' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
'knarkargänget' (http://surl.se/elt)
chosen and this end up are my main men of choise
\"u can **** off u retard it says sidehop not high jump so shut da f**k
up and go ride a b*ke. nob!\" /butty
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381