Where to relocate in SE? - a luxury

Old March 12th 05, 03:37 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:29:25 -0500, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

Asheville is probably the most expensive place in NC. It's expensive by
national standards, not just Southeastern. But it's one of those special small
places as cosmopolitan as a major city, like Charlottesville, VA, or
Northampton, MA.

What about the other way -- Birmingham, AL?

My thought on Asheville was, "How much are you going to budget for
speeding tickets making it to Atlanta in three hours?"

I haven't biked in Georgia, but my impression is that NE Georgia is a
wonderful place to bike if you like mountain biking or road biking on
steep hills.

You might also consider smaller towns like Jacksonville/Anniston, AL
(half the distance to Birmingham), or Rome, GA. There are some
virtually empty of traffic, reasonably well maintained, pretty flat
AND pretty hilly country roads within five miles of the town centers.
Just stay off US 27. And Rome puts you onto Atlanta's beltway on the
north end of town.
Email address works as is.
Old March 12th 05, 02:22 PM
pam_in_sc

Frank Drebin wrote:
Anderson, SC!

Hmmm, was there once on business long ago. I didn't look at it from this
perspective at that time though.
Can a mere mortal afford to live on or near a lakefront on one of the
lakes west of there? With 2 kids in college at the moment it's something
I need to consider.
How is the mosquito population in that part of the world? Where I'm at
right now it's not too bad actually.

Thanks for the pointer.
/F

I'm in Clemson. It's pretty hilly around here, but gets considerably
flatter towards Anderson. We paid $150,000 for a lakefront but shallow
water 3 bedroom plus finished basement house in downtown Clemson, but
that was 12 years ago. Clemson sprays every two weeks for mosquitos--a
truck with a fogger goes around late at night.

You may want to investigate which roads into Atlanta have the worst
traffic, if you will be going there at rush hour times. Another
possibility would be down around Aiken and Augusta, where you can also
be on a lake, but I don't know which is worse for traffic, 20 or 85.

Pam

Old March 13th 05, 12:28 AM
Frank Drebin

Another thing to consider is climate. SC is definately milder.
Actually, being mostly a northerner, climate IS an issue ... I'll miss the
occasional bit of snow. Although I guess if I want 'perfect' all the time
I'd need to go to CA or Hawaii. Only that'd be boring.

/F

Old March 13th 05, 06:11 PM
psycholist

"pam_in_sc" wrote in message
Frank Drebin wrote:
[...]

I forgot about Aiken. That's one of our very favorite places in this area.
The horsey culture down there is really neat. It's where lots of the
thoroughbred trainers bring the best horses in the world for early-season
training. It's also a hotbed for polo and dressage, etc. Lots of gorgous
horse farms. There's also a very nice cycling club in Aiken. There used to
be in Augusta, too ... but it's kinda disappeared as far as I can tell. One
might think Aiken and Augusta would be flat because of their proximity to
the coast. Guess again. The Savannah River valley insure PLENTY of hills.
But that's just if you're riding in and out of the valley. Once you're atop
the bluffs, its not bad at all.

Bob C.

Old March 15th 05, 01:02 AM
pam_in_sc

Frank Drebin wrote:
Another thing to consider is climate. SC is definately milder.

Actually, being mostly a northerner, climate IS an issue ... I'll miss the
occasional bit of snow. Although I guess if I want 'perfect' all the time
I'd need to go to CA or Hawaii. Only that'd be boring.

/F

We get snow once or twice a year in the Clemson/Greenville/Anderson area.

Pam