Advantages of cycling pants / shorts vs street cloths?

Old March 14th 05, 12:51 AM
Jeff Starr

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:13:41 -0500, jj wrote:

What is a solid decade? Ten years of riding?

I think he means a 10 mile ride;-)

The cycling shorts have a couple functions. If they are fairly tight, they
act to slightly compress your thigh muscles and (arguably) allows them
something to work against. It feels good to wear them if they're tight (but
not tight in the groin or anything).

Second they cut down on wind resistance relative to baggy shorts which can
act as a mini-parachute when wind blows up inside them.

Third they can dry quickly, wick moisture, though I do sweat a lot and mine
are never wet.

Last they do have some padding to cushion the bottom. This padding is only
really helpful on rides over 25 miles or over two hours in the saddle. For
some people the chamois is lightly greased where the bones contact them and
this can help prevent friction saddle sores.

I don't think there is necessarilly a distance or time requirement for
the padding. I do a lot of 20 mile rides, where I am glad I am wearing
cycling shorts. As you say YMMV.

When I was only getting 100 miles per week I rode without padded shorts and
had no problems, so ymmv.

jj

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old March 14th 05, 03:31 AM

Ken Marcet wrote:
Okay I just did my first really solid decade on my rehabed ride with

the new
saddle.
The saddle seems fine, adjusted well, stem height handlebar

positioned well.
For longer rides, what is the advantage of cycle wear?
From what I have read, it seems to me that mostly the purpose is to

wick
moisture away from your body.
Is this correct? What other advantages would they serve?
I have seen some with "padding" in them, is this for extra cushioning

of the
sit bones?

The main advantage of bike shorts is giving you a smooth surface to sit
on. No wrinkles, no thick seams, no rough edges to chafe your skin.

They do this by being tight enough to prevent wrinkles and by having a
thick enough pad that it can't fold and crease under you.

Moisture wicking is secondary. Padding for extra cusioning is
secondary (otherwise you could just add it to the saddle).

Old March 14th 05, 08:37 AM
wafflycat

"Ken Marcet" wrote in message
Okay I just did my first really solid decade on my rehabed ride with the
new
saddle.
The saddle seems fine, adjusted well, stem height handlebar positioned
well.
For longer rides, what is the advantage of cycle wear?
From what I have read, it seems to me that mostly the purpose is to wick
moisture away from your body.
Is this correct? What other advantages would they serve?
I have seen some with "padding" in them, is this for extra cushioning of
the
sit bones?

Ken
--

I never get on my bike without wearing a pair of Lycra padded cycle shorts -
albeit underneath a pair of RonHill Bikesters. Lycra has the relevant

Cheers, helen s

Old March 14th 05, 09:52 AM
Larry Schuldt

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:25:24 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote:

Okay I just did my first really solid decade on my rehabed ride with the new
saddle.
The saddle seems fine, adjusted well, stem height handlebar positioned well.
For longer rides, what is the advantage of cycle wear?
From what I have read, it seems to me that mostly the purpose is to wick
moisture away from your body.
Is this correct? What other advantages would they serve?
I have seen some with "padding" in them, is this for extra cushioning of the
sit bones?

Ken

I would humbly suggest that the main purpose of cycling shorts is to
prevent chafing. Just imagine wearing regular cotton shorts, working
up a good sweat, and feeling that wet cotton sliding on your leg with
every pedal stroke for a hundred miles. My legs develop a rash just
thinking about it!

Lycra clings tightly to your legs so it can't slide and chafe.

I agree with the other posters not wearing underwear.

I am also among those who get sore nipples on long rides. For me, this
happens with polyester jerseys, too. I find that a couple small
band-aids(tm) applied before a ride work very well for this.

Larry
Old March 14th 05, 06:20 PM
Fritz M

Ray wrote:
LOL! Are you being serious?

I've had runner's nipple -- back when I was a runner -- and it's pretty
serious. The shirt bounces around with the running motion, abrading the
nipple clean off and causing bleeding and discomfort.

Cycling clothing: For short rides (under 10 miles or so), I usually
wear street clothes, although I might have bike shorts underneath to
prevent chafing.

RFM
http://www.masoner.net/bike/index.php4

Old March 14th 05, 06:30 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Fritz M. wrote:

Ray wrote:
LOL! Are you being serious?

I've had runner's nipple -- back when I was a runner -- and it's pretty
serious. The shirt bounces around with the running motion, abrading the
nipple clean off and causing bleeding and discomfort.

Aagh! Bleeding!?
I can remember getting a painful case of "runner's nipple" once when I was
young, not from running but from playing in the water on a rubber
inner tube, and there was nothing obviously wrong visually. I can't
imagine how it would feel if it got so bad as to result in bleeding!

Cycling clothing: For short rides (under 10 miles or so), I usually
wear street clothes, although I might have bike shorts underneath to
prevent chafing.

I often won't bother with cycling shorts at all for rides of this length,
such as my 13 km commute, which I'll happily do in jeans or whatever else
I'm wearing (I don't have padded saddles, so that might help prevent
chafing, I don't know). Rides much longer always will have me in cycling
shorts, though.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
Old March 14th 05, 06:42 PM
Ken Marcet

"Fritz M" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ray wrote:
LOL! Are you being serious?

I've had runner's nipple -- back when I was a runner -- and it's pretty
serious. The shirt bounces around with the running motion, abrading the
nipple clean off and causing bleeding and discomfort.

OUCH! I used to run, but I never had that problem!

Old March 16th 05, 01:16 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"jj" wrote in message ...

Rather specious reply to a newbie just looking for some advice, don't you
think?

Newbie's don't know anything, they're a loss cause and irritate me.

I stay away from them.

Old March 16th 05, 03:34 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Little Meow wrote:

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

"jj" wrote in message

Rather specious reply to a newbie just looking for some advice, don't
you think?

Newbie's don't know anything, they're a loss cause and irritate me.

I stay away from them.

If you won't teach them, they end up like this:
http://www.bigbangcirkus.com/bike/bike-seussa.jpg

A sight like that makes a compelling case for a bicyclic version of the
doctrine of double predestination.

And I am by no means a Calvinist,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

xxxxxxl cycling shorts Helen C Simmons UK 6 February 1st 05 08:30 PM
Long cycling shorts Brian UK 7 January 11th 05 07:40 AM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 04:56 AM
Speaking of Bike Shorts ChiliDipper General 32 September 24th 03 08:21 PM
Cycling shorts for men with big balls.... Barney General 10 August 30th 03 02:26 AM