Polar 710 vs. 720i and any others on the market

Old August 4th 05, 06:06 AM
Chris M

Default Polar 710 vs. 720i and any others on the market

I have read that the only difference between the 2 is the case, but I
am replacing a 4 year old (I got it just after they became available)
710 with a 720. I remember seeing notes here and there about small
changes like the time it will go in to standaby without creating a
separate file and a few other things even more trivial. Does anyone
know what is functionally different between the very first 710s and a
new 720? Also, if someone can explain the details of this standy mode I
would appreciate it. I am in the habit of taking the watch with me when
I make water stops and it would be nice to know I can just shut off the
recording and then leave it on the bike. From what I understand, I can
leave it alone for up to 30 minutes?

Also, does anyone think the Ciclosport HRM with PC interface is
superior in any way? It is a little cheaper but for me I won't user
anything less functional than a Polar S7xx with cadence and speed. I
thought about the 625 since I already have a few speed sensors because
it ships with that cool running pedomoter instead of a speed
transmitter. Any comments on any of this equipment would be
appreciated.

TIA

Old August 5th 05, 02:40 AM
Chris M

Well, ok then...

I got a 720i a few minutes ago (Fedex) and it operates a LOT smoother
than the 710 it replaces. The 710 was probably getting worn and gummy
in the buttons but still the difference surprised me. The whole watch
though still very bulky, seems smoother and more robust. The only down
side is the surface is more reflective (brushed steel) but I don't know
if I would ever pay 40 dollars just to have a faux carbon fiber finish.
The other difference is that (for now) the 720 ships with a T61 coded
chest strap and the *5s (625 and 725) ship with the "Wearlink" strap. I
like the idea of the Wearlink because of the user swappable battery but
otherwise I prefer the T61 for comfort and durability. The Wearlink
sells for about the cost of a battery change in the T31 and T61. I also
noticed a few additional software features (auto start for one) and I
am not sure if they are hardware dependant or not. One last thing is
that I was told that the 725 and 625 have larger memory but I have not
confirmed that. The 710 and 720 have plenty fo me.

So far I am very happy with the value and performance:)

Anyway, another great product from Polar.