Opinions please - saddle lifespan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 13th 05, 03:35 PM
psycholist

Default Opinions please - saddle lifespan

I just had the saddle rails on a Koobi PRS saddle fail. The saddle is just
shy of 2 years old. Mileage is probably in the 8,000 range.

I divide my mileage between this bike and another I have. I've had various
saddles. Before the Koobi I used Selle Italia Flite saddles. I'd ride them
for 20,000 or more miles before I'd trade them out just 'cuz all the
covering on the nose would be gone.

I was unpleasantly surprised by the saddle rail failure on the Koobi. I
contacted the company by e-mail. They told me the lifespan of the saddle
was "roughly 400 hours." Were I to use one saddle on one bike, that would
be only about 7 months of riding for me. That seems ridiculous!

Sheldon ... Jobst ... anyone have any knowledge of saddle life expectancy
and whether or not this 400 hour thing is at all reasonable? I sure wasn't
aware of that life expectancy when I bought the thing. It's been the most
comfortable saddle I've ever owned, but dang ... I can't afford to change it
out every 400 hours (though they'll send out new saddle rails for $20)!

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback.
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)