an unusual sight

Old April 25th 05, 03:31 AM
Bob

Default an unusual sight

I was on my way to an interview last week when I saw a cyclist stopped
in front of me at a red light. He appeared to be in his early to mid
30s and was obviously on his way home from work- shirt and tie, dress
slacks, and a backpack. He apparently takes safety concerns very
seriously because in addition to a blinkie on his backpack he was also
sporting a BMX style helmet, goggles, knee pads, elbow pads, and what
looked for all the world like hockey gloves. The only thing he seemed
to lack was the ability to hold a line because as soon as the light
turned green he weaved and wobbled through the intersection.
There's no point to be made here. I just thought I'd share the
observation.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old April 25th 05, 05:00 AM
Fritz M

Bob Hunt wrote:
he was also
sporting a BMX style helmet, goggles, knee pads, elbow pads, and what

looked for all the world like hockey gloves.

That's ... interesting.

I saw a guy last week ride across a busy intersection on an old
Stumpjumper. He wore normal clothing (jeans, long-sleeve cotton shirt)
and a full-face BMX helmet. I thought that was a little strange, but
your sighting takes the cake.

RFM

Old April 25th 05, 05:37 AM
Scott Ehardt

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was on my way to an interview last week when I saw a cyclist stopped
in front of me at a red light. He appeared to be in his early to mid
30s and was obviously on his way home from work- shirt and tie, dress
slacks, and a backpack. He apparently takes safety concerns very
seriously because in addition to a blinkie on his backpack he was also
sporting a BMX style helmet, goggles, knee pads, elbow pads, and what
looked for all the world like hockey gloves. The only thing he seemed
to lack was the ability to hold a line because as soon as the light
turned green he weaved and wobbled through the intersection.
There's no point to be made here. I just thought I'd share the
observation.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Must have been a pretty funny sight... I'm imagining this guy with all that
stuff on...
http://www.scehardt.com/photos/2004/...%20Atlanta.jpg

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old April 25th 05, 05:47 AM
RonSonic

On 24 Apr 2005 19:31:11 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

I was on my way to an interview last week when I saw a cyclist stopped
in front of me at a red light. He appeared to be in his early to mid
30s and was obviously on his way home from work- shirt and tie, dress
slacks, and a backpack. He apparently takes safety concerns very
seriously because in addition to a blinkie on his backpack he was also
sporting a BMX style helmet, goggles, knee pads, elbow pads, and what
looked for all the world like hockey gloves. The only thing he seemed
to lack was the ability to hold a line because as soon as the light
turned green he weaved and wobbled through the intersection.
There's no point to be made here. I just thought I'd share the
observation.

You spotted Fred.

Ron

Old April 25th 05, 01:38 PM
Peter Cole

Bob wrote:
I was on my way to an interview last week when I saw a cyclist

stopped
in front of me at a red light. He appeared to be in his early to mid
30s and was obviously on his way home from work- shirt and tie, dress
slacks, and a backpack. He apparently takes safety concerns very
seriously because in addition to a blinkie on his backpack he was

also
sporting a BMX style helmet, goggles, knee pads, elbow pads, and what
looked for all the world like hockey gloves. The only thing he seemed
to lack was the ability to hold a line because as soon as the light
turned green he weaved and wobbled through the intersection.
There's no point to be made here. I just thought I'd share the
observation.

He may have been physically or mentally handicapped. Often, people with
those restrictions use trikes, but perhaps crash gear is more effective
in his case. The other day, a MD friend mentioned how frail older women
at risk for hip fractures did well wearing hockey pads.

Old April 25th 05, 01:42 PM
Peter Cole

Scott Ehardt ) wrote:

Must have been a pretty funny sight... I'm imagining this guy with

all that
stuff on...
http://www.scehardt.com/photos/2004/...%20Atlanta.jpg

I frequently see dressed up people riding bikes in Harvard Square,
Cambridge (MA). It's not unusual to see women riding in high heels,
either.

Old April 25th 05, 02:33 PM
Maggie

RonSonic wrote:

You spotted Fred.

Ron

Someone probably is telling a story about spotting Frederica riding
this weekend and it was "ME"........ Be nice everyone. As long as
people ride, what does it matter what they wear. I could probably buy
clothes to make me look like a euro pro, but that would not make me a
euro pro. Under those clothes, I would still be just "a woman riding a
bike" Just like sitting in a chicken coop does not make one a chicken.
It might make you stink, but it doesn't make you a chicken.

It's Monday, Rod Stewart is singing "IF ONLY"...One of my
favorites...and my boss is out of town.

It's all good,
Mags

Old April 25th 05, 03:24 PM
H M Leary

In article .com,
"Maggie" wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

You spotted Fred.

Ron

Someone probably is telling a story about spotting Frederica riding
this weekend and it was "ME"........ Be nice everyone. As long as
people ride, what does it matter what they wear. I could probably buy
clothes to make me look like a euro pro, but that would not make me a
euro pro. Under those clothes, I would still be just "a woman riding a
bike" Just like sitting in a chicken coop does not make one a chicken.
It might make you stink, but it doesn't make you a chicken.

It's Monday, Rod Stewart is singing "IF ONLY"...One of my
favorites...and my boss is out of town.

It's all good,
Mags

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie......

If you wear that Euro Pro kit, you will have graduated from Frederica to
poseur.

Glad you have made the jump up to the rest of us!

HAND
Old April 25th 05, 03:37 PM
Bob

Peter Cole wrote:

He may have been physically or mentally handicapped. Often, people

with
those restrictions use trikes, but perhaps crash gear is more

effective
in his case. The other day, a MD friend mentioned how frail older

women
at risk for hip fractures did well wearing hockey pads.

I presume that the frail older women you mention suffer from
osteoporosis. It's in my nature to take calculated risks but since all
cyclists eventually fall (some even do it on a semi-regular basis) I
can't understand why anyone with serious osteoporosis would ride a
bike. That's not risktaking. It's ignoring the inevitable.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old April 25th 05, 04:00 PM
bbaka

Bob wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

He may have been physically or mentally handicapped. Often, people

with

those restrictions use trikes, but perhaps crash gear is more

effective

in his case. The other day, a MD friend mentioned how frail older

women

at risk for hip fractures did well wearing hockey pads.

I presume that the frail older women you mention suffer from
osteoporosis. It's in my nature to take calculated risks but since all
cyclists eventually fall (some even do it on a semi-regular basis) I
can't understand why anyone with serious osteoporosis would ride a
bike. That's not risktaking. It's ignoring the inevitable.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

I suspect that if you ride enough and get other forms of exercise you
will postpone the bone loss or at least minimize it. Stress, like
riding, lifting weights or whatever promotes bone growth. My guess is
that with sufficient Calcium intake and exercise a 90 year old could
have as much bone mass as a lazy 30 year old. Jack Lalanne is still
around and doing his thing at 90, last I heard.
Bill (I fall too) Baka

Unusual chainrings and cranks wear Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Techniques 51 February 15th 05 06:43 PM
Interesting sight today gooserider General 1 September 15th 04 01:43 AM
Go Mayo Go! Iban the Man , Can!! remove the polite word to reply Racing 11 July 9th 04 11:24 PM
Unusual dooring detail Simon Mason UK 10 October 9th 03 04:15 PM
Unusual puncture Niv UK 4 September 7th 03 07:36 PM