RR Tan Hill Challenge (or: Another 200k audax, another DNF!)

Old August 19th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Default RR Tan Hill Challenge (or: Another 200k audax, another DNF!)

Memo to self - just because you can sustain ~30kph for ~15km doesn't mean
it's a good way to start a 200k audax. Neither does the fact that all
the uprights are doing it excuse things! It was fun though!

However it may have buggered things up for later, and certainly by the
time I reached Carperby the sums where showing me that I wasn't going to
reach the info control Sedbusk with enough surplus time to attempt the
climb to up to the Tan Hill Inn. I was pretty certain that I was in no
state to contemplate trying to average ~15kph up the hill!

So I bailed back to Northallerton and took the train back to York, still
there's always next year! (Though this is another nail in the coffin of
trying to do an SR series this year.)

Lessons learned :-
[1] A lighter bike would be nice! (Visiting D.Tek on Thursday!)
[2] Bringing a smaller volume, and weight of stuff with me would be good!
[3] I need to practice hill climbing! Castle Howard here I come?

Oh yeah, and for those that are interested ... There was one machine
with 26/700 size wheels, one recumbent and one trike in the field! To
be exact, there was my Trice QNT!
Old August 28th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

Alistair Gunn wrote:
Memo to self - just because you can sustain ~30kph for ~15km doesn't mean
it's a good way to start a 200k audax. Neither does the fact that all
the uprights are doing it excuse things! It was fun though!

Shame. Hope you'll be back next year.

Arthur (Clifton CC)

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Old August 28th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Arthur Clune twisted the electrons to say:
Alistair Gunn wrote:
Memo to self - just because you can sustain ~30kph for ~15km doesn't
mean it's a good way to start a 200k audax. Neither does the fact
that all the uprights are doing it excuse things! It was fun though!

Shame. Hope you'll be back next year.

It's pretty likely you will ...

Though if I'm going to successfully manage a 200 this year it looks like
either the "Southport - York" or "Tour of the Wolds" permanents ...
Old August 28th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

Alistair Gunn wrote:
Memo to self - just because you can sustain ~30kph for ~15km doesn't
mean it's a good way to start a 200k audax. Neither does the fact
that all the uprights are doing it excuse things! It was fun though!

Shame. Hope you'll be back next year.

It's pretty likely you will ...

Though if I'm going to successfully manage a 200 this year it looks like
either the "Southport - York" or "Tour of the Wolds" permanents ...

The Tour of the Wolds is not the easiest of 200s to do. The climb out of
Helmsley is a pig. Mind you, there's a nice pie shop in the town :-)

Have a look at Simon Ward's mesh permanents. It's possible to concoct an
easy 200 from the mesh points. I was unable to have a go at The Tan Hill
Challenge through being else where but having seen the route, I need to be
considerably less porky to contemplate it :-)

Alternatively you could create a DIY permanent through Lucy McTaggart's DIY
permanents.

Tan Hill 200k Arthur Clune UK 25 August 18th 06 10:13 AM
Plug for Tan Hill Audax Arthur Clune UK 13 July 25th 06 05:38 PM
My first 200k Succorso UK 13 August 23rd 04 02:34 PM
Dawes Audax & Other new Audax bikes Malcolm UK 2 April 27th 04 06:58 PM
My first 200k Audax Tomorrow Simonb UK 30 March 27th 04 08:13 PM