Car Clubs - A Cool Idea

Old November 2nd 07, 03:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Default Car Clubs - A Cool Idea

does look a intresting idea, i don't think i would get much
use out of it, (most of my car use is long distance travel)

=v= My car use is so infrequent that this type of rental makes
more sense than a car-share system, which works by fees, etc.,
thereby supporting more frequent car use.

=v= Which is also contrary to its ecohype.
_Jym_

Old November 2nd 07, 04:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Today I saw a bus with the ZipCar advertising placard on its
side. Above the windows is written five ways you can use a
ZipCar. One item was "Go Shopping" but my mind went blank and
I saw red after reading the suggestion that you use their car
to "Go Biking". ARRRRRGGGGHGHHHHGHHHHHH!

=v= I had a similar reaction once. Part of the celebration
of World Carfree Day last year was a Carfree Party! featuring
Carfree Dance Music! from a Carfree DJ! at which they would be
raffling off a Carfree Car-Sharing Service Membership!

=v= Uh ... what?

=v= Also, the San Francisco Bay Area has these things called
"Spare The Air Days." It's a total scam, designed to dodge
Federal air quality regulations, but the basic idea is to
get people not to drive. So naturally that's a day when
ZipCar sent out a bunch of their cars into the streets to
promote themselves. :-|
_Jym_

Old November 2nd 07, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Marc

Marz wrote:
On Nov 1, 9:13 am, Artemisia wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:
Out of interest, if a hurricane warning is issued are there facilities
provided to help people evacuate who don't have a car. I would imagine
that even in the US, there will be some people without a car.

It's thread drift, but I've always thought that these kinds of crises
are precisely the situations where you may be better off on a bike than
in a car. What if there is no gas? What if the roads get gridlocked by
traffic or broken-down cars or cut off by landslide or flood or
earthquake? What if there is aerial bombing? I'm thinking of the
beginning of the film LES JEUX INTERDITS where the line of refugee cars
on the road is an easy target to be strafed from the air, or the end of
THE DOWNFALL where the young secretary and the boy escape the flames of
Berlin on a bike.

EFR
Ile de France

Only works if it's just you that's you're responsible for. During the
last evacuation of Houston (Rita) roads did get snarled up, most
deaths occured on the road (23 died in one bus explosion), people did
run out of gas and some died in their cars due to hyperthermia (100f
temp). But how else can one move an entire family and enough food and
water for 5 days without a car? Trust in FEMA, please!
A lot ( I mean a lot) of folks drive 4x4 pickups and suvs just because
they feel they'll need it in times of flooding (which happens at least
10 times a year) and hurricanes.

I'd move house, permanently.
Old November 2nd 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Dave Larrington

In ,
marc tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

I'd move house, permanently.

Preferably to one constructed solidly enough not to fall down when the
weather turns a bit manky. As a small Mr. Larrington I sat out a typhoon on
the fifteenth floor of a tower block. Fun, in an odd sort of way.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old November 2nd 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Merriman

Jym Dyer wrote:

does look a intresting idea, i don't think i would get much
use out of it, (most of my car use is long distance travel)

=v= My car use is so infrequent that this type of rental makes
more sense than a car-share system, which works by fees, etc.,
thereby supporting more frequent car use.

=v= Which is also contrary to its ecohype.
_Jym_

yes there is that, but like a lot things you have to use the system that
works for you.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old November 2nd 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Arthur Clune

In uk.rec.cycling Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= I know these services are eco-hyped, but are they in fact
reducing car ownership and car use?

My neighbours have joined our local one and so been able to
go from two cars to one.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Old November 2nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:55:37 -0700, Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= I know these services are eco-hyped, but are they in fact
reducing car ownership and car use? I never see them marketed
to motorists, only to people who would otherwise not be driving.

One of my friends joined a car co-op instead of buying a new car. She
sometimes needs a car for her floral business but often a van is the
more appropriate vehicle. The co-op gives her access to either and
costs her nothing when she doesn't use it. She's ended up riding her
bicycle more frequently for trips she'd previously made in her car.

She's quite happy with the arrangement. A recent trip to the airport
with out-of-town guests cost less than if they'd taken the bus.
--
zk
Old November 2nd 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Nov 1, 12:47 am, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:
On 31 Oct, 16:15, Marz wrote:
On Oct 29, 5:54 pm, Adam Lea wrote:

On 29 Oct, 17:59, Marz wrote:
I don't want to be reliant on some one else when I
need to escape a hurricane.
Which country do you live in?
USA, Houston. We have a hurricane kit prepped and ready to be thrown
in the car when required.

Out of interest, if a hurricane warning is issued are there
facilities provided to help people evacuate who don't have a car. I
would imagine that even in the US, there will be some people without
a car.

New Orleans 2005, Hurricane Katrina. The people with cars left, the
poor without cars were left to sit on rooftops or rot in the hell of
the Superdome, or drown. Those that were black and tried to walk out
across a bridge to a primarily white community were repulsed by armed
police.

Everyone knew well in advance that a huge (HUGE) storm was coming, yet
hundreds of school busses sat idle on a huge (later flooded) lot.

When the hurricane hit, everyone /thought/ that the worst had been avoided.
Partying on Bourbon Street continued unabated. Everyone (even the media)
let down their guard.

Then a day or two later the levies broke, and all hell broke loose.

Compare that to the totally unexpected fires that swept So Cal last week.
Literally no warning in many cases. The difference? Effective local and
state government agencies and officials, and citizens taking responsibility
for their own (and others') well-being.

There you go.

BS (not)

I always wondered why the local/state/federal government didn't just
grab the yellow buses and start moving people. It seemed like a real
no-brainer.

Re California though, the fires are a yearly occurance apparently so
the infrastructure to respond was there, even if it was not really set
up to handle the 100 year fire (which now seem to be coming very 10
years). Our news even pointed out that one or two of the Quebec water
bombers have an annual pilgramige to California for the fire season
there.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada